PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Game That Everyone Else Hates

Anovich
08-02-2005, 02:47 PM
There are just some games that everybody seems to have something against, the critics shoot them down and they're generally considered to kindda blow.
And yet you love it.
We've all played bad games, but some of them, no matter how bad just does something for us or maybe awakens some nostalgia or something!

Now, the very first games I played was by Sierra and when Kings Quest 7 came out I was about 10 years old and this was HUGE!!!
So yeah I developed a special love for it that can't be killed even though as I've grown older I've come ti realize it's probably not as great as I'd like to think...

So. What's your secret shame-game?

TheVoid
08-02-2005, 02:52 PM
Mine is probably Captain Comic.

I've played it for years with my MUM LOL I was 4-6, she fired and I moved ;) that's when I learnt how to use DOS.

Today, it's probably kinda repetitive and graphics aren't top-notch even for the time it was released. But I still love it :cheers:

Sebatianos
08-02-2005, 03:16 PM
I gues there would be quite a few of them really. But the one that sticks out most in my mind is:

Dragon's Lair 2
The game was reated so average and insignificant, it was supposed to be outdated when it came out... But I love it.

Kerebear
08-02-2005, 03:33 PM
Mine would probably be things like digger (digdug?), frogger, alleycat, which were all around when I was young. I don't think there is anything wrong with them so I'm not ashamed of them. ;)

I was playing Leisure Suit Larry original game when I was about 6, but always on the clean level. And I didn't really understand what the game was about. :wub:

Anovich
08-02-2005, 03:44 PM
oooooh alley cat! best theme tune EVER! hehe

Stroggy
08-02-2005, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Anovich@Feb 8 2005, 03:47 PM

Now, the very first games I played was by Sierra and when Kings Quest 7 came out I was about 10 years old and this was HUGE!!!
So yeah I developed a special love for it that can't be killed even though as I've grown older I've come ti realize it's probably not as great as I'd like to think...

Haha, same here.
I always knew it was a cheesy and stupid game but I loved the pretty pictures and always wanted to find a new location just so I could see it.
I still have the game here somewhere.

Anovich
08-02-2005, 03:48 PM
OMG I'm not alone! yay!

my sis and I played it so many times the cd broke and I haven't gotten a new one so I don't even have it anymore LOL

IdaGno
09-02-2005, 01:55 AM
Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Dranoor

More unesteemed than even Daikatana but a great game, no matter the critics.

Stroggy
09-02-2005, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Anovich@Feb 8 2005, 04:48 PM
OMG I'm not alone! yay!

my sis and I played it so many times the cd broke and I haven't gotten a new one so I don't even have it anymore LOL
I played it 5 times but only managed to finish it once.
I once came close to finishing it again but got stuck in that place in the clouds where you had to capture something (its been so long I've forgotten what it was, but you had to harness something)

Reup
09-02-2005, 10:48 AM
FreeCell... :whistle:

The Niles
09-02-2005, 12:04 PM
Not sure if people "hate" it but I have always liked Star Trek: Borg alot which is an oppinion that is not widely shared.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/sheet/p,3/gameId,1849/

wormpaul
09-02-2005, 03:29 PM
For me absolute:

Rockford

Great game for me...but for others?? :whistle:

Annorax
09-02-2005, 04:29 PM
I really like Minesweeper, everyone seems to hate it though. Ultima 9 is another game I like that is not very popular.

Terminus
10-02-2005, 10:05 AM
I absolutely love Corridor 7: Alien Invasion. Everyone always knocks it for being a sub-par "wannabe doom-killer" but I have always thought it was incredibly fun. Hell a few of my buddies and I used to play Corridor 7 deathmatches when I got my hands on a few copies of the CD version when it hit the shelves. So it may have had bright and colorful graphics and a maze-like design on the Wolfenstein engine, but I find it eerily relaxing an enjoyable.

Lars J
10-02-2005, 04:22 PM
I would say ........... Oni
I loved it but most gamers hate the controls of the game

:rifle: all oni haters :tomato:

Yamcha
10-02-2005, 04:33 PM
I love Oni :wub: its a great game :ok:

For me its Hexplore (again) I went thru some RPG sites and almost everybody said that this is a complete crap compared to the other games from this time :angry:

YMIHere
03-03-2005, 12:53 AM
While I'm not as much of a fan of the theme song, I like Alleycat as well. =)

When I was four years old, my parents used to wake up to that tune, so I'd imagine they aren't thrilled with it either. =P

Ajax
03-03-2005, 01:49 AM
I've played Red Baron 2 for hours on end, but I've never really heard much talk about it. Also, another game that I started and seriously couldn't stop until I had finished the game was Spycraft: The Great Game by Activision. Has anyone else played that? I sure haven't caught wind of anyone being excited about it but me.

TheSmyth
03-03-2005, 07:16 AM
SimAnt
Everyone i knew thought it sucked. But for me there was nothing better than ganging up on that damn spider, and ripping off red ants heads. :evil:

Or subtley dropping a stone over all of the red ants holes and trapping them inside to starve... they never seemed to have the sense to dig a new hole more than once or twice. :sneaky:

Anovich
03-03-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by YMIHere@Mar 3 2005, 01:53 AM
While I'm not as much of a fan of the theme song, I like Alleycat as well. =)

When I was four years old, my parents used to wake up to that tune, so I'd imagine they aren't thrilled with it either. =P
Oh come on! It's the best theme song! Wish I could get it as a ring tone for my cell phone and drive everyone crazy with, muahaha

Lizard
03-03-2005, 01:06 PM
Ufo:Aftermath.Althought this game isnt overall hated most people just dont like it.But I am a fan of this game and love it althought it was insanely difficult,without building base and it didnt worked very well on my computer :wub:

Strange Oddysee
04-03-2005, 04:54 PM
A game I asbsolutely loved at the time was Prince of Persia 3D. I know everyone else hated it because of the poor comparison to earlier POP games, but I never played them

I actually played it a couple of months ago....the camera's has got a lot more annoying than it originally used to be, but I love it nonetheless.

Dreadlord
04-03-2005, 07:23 PM
The Dig, other people went crazy other it, saying it was "utter crap" and "complete crap" I found no crappage, I found a fun adventure game that was soaked with atmosphere.

xcom freak
04-03-2005, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Dreadlord@Mar 4 2005, 08:23 PM
The Dig, other people went crazy other it, saying it was "utter crap" and "complete crap" I found no crappage, I found a fun adventure game that was soaked with atmosphere.
The dig was good game indeed

Sebatianos
04-03-2005, 08:13 PM
I just remembered another great game (others of course hated).

Alied General (most of the people I hung out with at that time hated strategy games anyway - especially turn based).

DeathDude
04-03-2005, 08:25 PM
Need for Speed High Stakes, I heard back in the day, that it wasn't that well loved coming after Hot Pursuit, but I loved playing this game, very fun and nice sort of racing modes and extras.

littleguybrush
07-03-2005, 03:18 AM
Myst. Yeah, that's right. I'm a hardcore adventure gamer who liked Myst. It was insanely clever, had a great plot (you just had to look for it, you could also ignore completely, which is cool). It's puzzles are logical and anyone with patience (and maybe a notepad) can figure them out. It's also incredibly engrossing and has the ability to completely make you forget that you're at your desk. The sequels are pretty darned good as well (especially Riven). Most of the hating seems to come from the fact that it spawned bunch of crappy rip-offs. Well, so did Pulp Fiction. That doesn't make it a bad movie.

dragonLancer
07-03-2005, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by littleguybrush@Mar 7 2005, 04:18 AM
Myst. Yeah, that's right. I'm a hardcore adventure gamer who liked Myst. It was insanely clever, had a great plot (you just had to look for it, you could also ignore completely, which is cool). It's puzzles are logical and anyone with patience (and maybe a notepad) can figure them out. It's also incredibly engrossing and has the ability to completely make you forget that you're at your desk. The sequels are pretty darned good as well (especially Riven). Most of the hating seems to come from the fact that it spawned bunch of crappy rip-offs. Well, so did Pulp Fiction. That doesn't make it a bad movie.
:band: ROCK ON MAN i think i just made a new friend :bye: i LOVE MYST i also like the sequal Riven but its hard. it took me like four years to beat Myst and i still love it! PLUS I LOVE ADVENTURE GAMES!!!!!!

DeathDude
07-03-2005, 11:11 PM
Another game that I'm not sure if it receives a lot of props was Swat 3: Close Quarters Battle (Or Elite Edition) Good FPS, with a decent storyline, loved this game when I first saw it and the sequel that they are doing looks really good too.

littleguybrush
07-03-2005, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by dragonLancer@Mar 7 2005, 10:59 PM

:band: ROCK ON MAN i think i just made a new friend* :bye:* i LOVE MYST i also like the sequal Riven but its hard. it took me like four years to beat Myst and i still love it! PLUS I LOVE ADVENTURE GAMES!!!!!!
I'm so glad someone agrees with me.
:ok:
I'm so sick of people acting like their too "hardcore" or "1337" or whatever to play a game that sold well.

Spoonman
08-03-2005, 12:14 AM
I must have a really bad taste if all the games mentioned are generally considered to suck.

I love SimAnt, I should probably be more ashamed I like SimFarm as well :whistle:
Alleycat was a very popular game at the time, so I don't think that counts as a game with very bad critics (yeah well nowadays it has ofcourse but back then?). And hey, if Myst is really such a bad game then thousands of people should be ashamed of theirselves for buying it. Also there are more captain comic lovers. There's a whole cult of them actually =)

The only games I'm ashamed to admit that I like are Strippoker 2 and three :tomato:

Calamity
08-03-2005, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by Dreadlord@Mar 4 2005, 03:23 PM
I used to have the Dig from back around when it first came out. I had played a demo and then raved about it to my friend so he went out and bought the cd. He ended up hating it (using the "utter crap" excuse) so he ended up giving it to me. Of course my computer at the time was a cranky git and didn't like the full version, and now that I have a perfectly fine pc the cd has mysteriously disappeared.

So much woe. LOL

Omuletzu
08-03-2005, 11:44 AM
Never Winter Nights.I find this game marvelous, but many people find it's excellent graphics ugly.I really don't understand them :blink:

Fawfulhasfury
08-03-2005, 03:43 PM
The Dig
Monkey Island 4

Spoonman
08-03-2005, 06:27 PM
What exactly was it that people found bad about the Dig? I don't think it's that bad either.

littleguybrush
09-03-2005, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by Spoonman@Mar 8 2005, 07:27 PM
What exactly was it that people found bad about the Dig? I don't think it's that bad either.
It's very easy. The plot is unfocused. You never really care about the characters. It's boring. It's pretentious. It's got that stupid turtle skeleton puzzle. I don’t think I would call it “utter crap” but it’s nothing special, it’s by far the weakest Lucas Arts adventure. In fact, it’s the only LA adventure I wish I didn’t buy.

Cowowar
09-03-2005, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by IdaGno@Feb 9 2005, 02:55 AM
Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Dranoor

More unesteemed than even Daikatana but a great game, no matter the critics.
sorry, i thought that game was fantastically crappy. :not_ok:

Cowowar
09-03-2005, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Fawfulhasfury@Mar 8 2005, 04:43 PM
The Dig
Monkey Island 4
i never played the dig, but monkey four was great, the best part being the humor. however, i can see what people might not have liked. some of the puzzles didn't make sense or were just frustrating (case in point, the part where you have to find the guy in the swamp, and it's pretty much trial and error), and i never liked controlling adventure games with the keyboard, it doesn't feel right.

dragonLancer
09-03-2005, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Cowowar+Mar 9 2005, 09:59 PM****</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cowowar @ Mar 9 2005, 09:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> ******QuoteBegin-Fawfulhasfury@Mar 8 2005, 04:43 PM
The Dig
Monkey Island 4
i never played the dig, but monkey four was great, the best part being the humor. however, i can see what people might not have liked. some of the puzzles didn't make sense or were just frustrating (case in point, the part where you have to find the guy in the swamp, and it's pretty much trial and error), and i never liked controlling adventure games with the keyboard, it doesn't feel right. [/b][/quote]
I r3m3mb3r that part i was stuck there for hours :cry: (why are my E's in r3m3mb3r all threes. :blink: )

Yobor
09-03-2005, 10:23 PM
A game I have played up to this day that created hours of enjoyment isn't even a computer game. The game:
Military Madness
It is for the NEC Turbo Graphics 16. This game is great! I had this game until a few months ago when my mom made us throw out the Turbo :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
It pissed the crap out of my parents with the awful sound, but his game created so much tension in my basement it was unbelievable. Four of us would be hanging on the edge of our seats while two of us duked it out in the Hexagonal battlefield. :cry: Man I miss this game.

dragonLancer
09-03-2005, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Yobor@Mar 9 2005, 11:23 PM
A game I have played up to this day that created hours of enjoyment isn't even a computer game. The game:
Military Madness
It is for the NEC Turbo Graphics 16. This game is great! I had this game until a few months ago when my mom made us throw out the Turbo :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
It pissed the crap out of my parents with the awful sound, but his game created so much tension in my basement it was unbelievable. Four of us would be hanging on the edge of our seats while two of us duked it out in the Hexagonal battlefield. :cry: Man I miss this game.
hmmmm...... im sry i never heard of that game :blink:

I remembersome more though (Myst, OMF, and NBA Jam~its an old-school game :ok: )

Yobor
09-03-2005, 11:47 PM
Going off that standpoint, I have never heard of most of the games ever, so.... :blink: right back at ya :ok:

Spoonman
10-03-2005, 11:28 PM
It seems like lots of people dislike Bodycount, which I can imagine. But I just downloaded it and played it for a while, and I still find it as amusing as I found it back then. Who needs good level design anyway :)

dragonLancer
10-03-2005, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Spoonman@Mar 11 2005, 12:28 AM
It seems like lots of people dislike Bodycount, which I can imagine. But I just downloaded it and played it for a while, and I still find it as amusing as I found it back then. Who needs good level design anyway :)
its not the levels i dont like about body count its the concept and i dont like it so i guess your game fits in this catagory :D

LordHogFred
10-03-2005, 11:41 PM
Ultima Online all the way!
Many people don't seem to like it because of it's now dated graphics and hardcore roleplay environment. I personally trhink it is one of the most amazing games to ever be produced. It has everything anyone could ever want from an online game other than a fully 3D engine. A 3D engine isn't required to have a brilliant game I don't know why people in the online gaming community think this is so as so many people slag UO off and say games like Everquest and Dark Age of Camelot are better. No Way!

UO ROCKS !!!

:bleh: :bleh: :bleh:

dragonLancer
10-03-2005, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by LordHogFred@Mar 11 2005, 12:41 AM
Ultima Online all the way!
Many people don't seem to like it because of it's now dated graphics and hardcore roleplay environment. I personally trhink it is one of the most amazing games to ever be produced. It has everything anyone could ever want from an online game other than a fully 3D engine. A 3D engine isn't required to have a brilliant game I don't know why people in the online gaming community think this is so as so many people slag UO off and say games like Everquest and Dark Age of Camelot are better. No Way!

UO ROCKS !!!

:bleh: :bleh: :bleh:
DUDE I LOVE ULTIMA ONLINE :D rock on!!!!!!

Dimsey
11-03-2005, 03:22 AM
Clayfighter 63 and 1/3 on the N64 immediantly springs to mind.
Everyone I know hates the game with a passion and I know it didn't get good reviews.
But I love it anyway.

PrejudiceSucks
25-03-2005, 03:06 PM
I would say Runescape (very underrated) is a great game, as are the Earth 2150 games - Absolutely great games, masses of variation, but no-one bought it. It was too 'complex'. ARGH.

Game Phre&#124;&lt;
25-03-2005, 08:25 PM
Hard Hat Mac.
This game was impossible and I never beat it. It was like Donkey Kong but it was this little dude (named mac who guess what..... wore a hard hat :ot: ) That would try to get to the higest part of the map, but had to grab pices of iorn and put it into place with this jack hammer that would run around the level. :cry: SO HARD!
Honorable Mentions go to Burger Time. Back to the Future. Kung Fu.

Sean
26-03-2005, 10:02 AM
I like KAL... not many of my freinds do =(

www.kalonline.com

Stroggy
26-03-2005, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Omuletzu@Mar 8 2005, 12:44 PM
Never Winter Nights.I find this game marvelous, but many people find it's excellent graphics ugly.I really don't understand them :blink:
The graphics were bad... but thats not why I disliked it (I didn't hate it, it was just dull)

MrBackAlleySka
27-03-2005, 01:20 AM
Starlancer. ^^ Everyone said it was crappity crap crap compared to Freelancer...but I loved the feel of the "new recruit that's your average joe" feel. It was ..... it had a real life wartime feel to it LOL.

Dryn
27-03-2005, 01:41 AM
Ultima Online indeed, got alot of flak for playing that. But its just so addictive.

Yobor
27-03-2005, 03:46 AM
What exactly is Ultima Online? I cannot find the place to download/buy the regular version, and I would like to see what this game is all about. So hows about a link....?

Ferengi
27-03-2005, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Ajax@Mar 3 2005, 02:49 AM
I've played Red Baron 2 for hours on end, but I've never really heard much talk about it.
Wow, about 6-7 years ago I used to run a server for RB2. Are they still around?

Ferengi
27-03-2005, 07:47 AM
Alpha Centauri

It was the best, the Workshop allowed Custom Weaponsystems (the only SM game that did).

----

Lincity

Everyone complains about the graphics (but I think that it's because they failed SOOO badly at trying to win). It's hard to win period....and that makes it tons of fun for me.

----

Forsaken

Another great flyer that was hard. The AI was good and I needed a full Saitek setup to play and stay alive.

PrejudiceSucks
27-03-2005, 09:27 AM
Starlancer is a great game as well as Freelancer. To be honest I think that comparing Starlancer and Freelancer is like saying -

Custard is better than Vodka. They're 2 different games.

I especially liked the way in Starlancer that once you got to a high rank, people would salute you on your way to the briefing room. That was sweet.

Game I like that everyone else hates - Serious Sam : The First Encounter.

Pure... genius....

Lizard
27-03-2005, 11:55 AM
Game I like that everyone else hates - Serious Sam : The First Encounter.

Pure... genius....
Everyone hates Serious Sam??? :blink:
Here it is quite popular.This game has NOTHING original, but it has great gameplay and mainly it is FUN.
:Titan:

Tulac
27-03-2005, 11:57 AM
Serious Sam is made by Croatians , probably the only popular Croatian game...

Lizard
27-03-2005, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Tulac@Mar 27 2005, 12:57 PM
Serious Sam is made by Croatians , probably the only popular Croatian game...
Is Kosta somehow involved in it??? :ph34r:
LOL LOL
I didnt know it is a Crotian game :blink:
But they did a GREAT work... :ok:

MrBackAlleySka
27-03-2005, 01:40 PM
I loved Serious Sam's engine. the way they did reflections, distance gagues, mipmaps, and bam, that was all so sweet. Sometimes I'd just shoot the water to see what I could knock into it and watch it float hehe

PrejudiceSucks
27-03-2005, 01:48 PM
Yeah, the company who made it is called CroTeam for a reason.

My friends all think it is stupid and violent, but that is the entire point. It's like saying 'X-Com isn't a role-playing game'. Well of course not, that isn't the point.

And yes, the graphics are very nice indeed.

Ultima Online is a really good online RPG. The graphics are a bit dated, but the game is really good, there is a lot to do.

Try searching for it on Google or similar.

Morbid_Pathologist
27-03-2005, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Yobor@Mar 27 2005, 03:46 AM
What exactly is Ultima Online? I cannot find the place to download/buy the regular version, and I would like to see what this game is all about. So hows about a link....?
hmm, well i had to get this guy from the uk mail me a copy, i may still have it laying around somewhere, unfortunately you had to pay to play it, its great fun, you could do stuff like open your own bar (depending on the server), but i dont think you can buy it anymore...well i cant find it in Australia, your best bet is bittorrent (or a filesharing app like DC)

Carajito
27-03-2005, 06:09 PM
Sentinel Returns.

Zarkumo
30-03-2005, 08:02 PM
One of my all time favourite games just has to be Heretic. Everybody else seems to see some cheap medieval-Doom-offspin in it, but I think it's the best shooter of the 90s.

Omuletzu
31-03-2005, 06:30 AM
Yep gotta agree with you there Heretic is a great game, so is hexen

NrmMyth
31-03-2005, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by PrejudiceSucks@Mar 27 2005, 01:48 PM

My friends all think it is stupid and violent, but that is the entire point. It's like saying 'X-Com isn't a role-playing game'. Well of course not, that isn't the point.

And yes, the graphics are very nice indeed.

Ultima Online is a really good online RPG. The graphics are a bit dated, but the game is really good, there is a lot to do.

Try searching for it on Google or similar.
I'm starting to like your opinions :wub: ...amm, wrong smiley...

But didn't get this.

facundo
01-04-2005, 05:39 PM
metal gear 2 for the nes. *ducks* don't hit me

DBM
01-04-2005, 06:23 PM
Alone in the Dark 3

for me it seemed that many people didn't like it, but I thought the atmosphere was real good.... my favorite part of the series to be honest

Stijepethegreat
03-04-2005, 04:50 AM
I always played Wolfenstein 3D when everyone else had DOOM or Duke Nukem,
I just like Wolfenstein 3D.......I have played every version I could find.