PDA

View Full Version : Magic The Gathering! Here

Gun Man
07-02-2005, 03:38 PM
In Spanish(With The expansion..full CD,431 MB,)www.selvacamaleon.net/index.php (look for it if you know how)

In English(Well is from HOTU... :ranting: ).....But very small..forget about the videos and all that stuff.www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=1550

PD:Full of bugs :rifle: ..I cant buy cards!

Tom Henrik
07-02-2005, 03:48 PM
:blink:

Que pasa?

The Fifth Horseman
07-02-2005, 03:53 PM
Bought the original a year or two back. Wasn't worth the money at all.

Sebatianos
07-02-2005, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Gun Man@Feb 7 2005, 06:38 PM
PD:Full of bugs :rifle: ..I cant buy cards!
That's not true. I have the same version (also got it from HOTU) and it works fine. But you need to press Y when you select a card if you wanna buy it. The controls are a bit weird, but the game works. The only thing it lacks are some movies (but there wasn't that much of additional stuff anyway - have the original CD - but it got scratched so bad I had to download a nother version of the game).

Yamcha
07-02-2005, 04:31 PM
LOL I played this game. Its crappy. It has only some old decks. When I first started it I got Aladdin LOL (must be from arabian noghts deck) Better download the online game from the official site :ok:

The Niles
07-02-2005, 05:24 PM
The game is worth playing. The real problem with the game is that certain rules do not work. For instance I have never been able to use the card "landtax". I have been able to put it in my deck and play it friom my hand but you are restricted to using it in a round of your turn on which the computer does not stop to let you take actions. The result is that one of whits most powerfull cards ends up being useless and my "Wiesmann"deck is dealt a severe blow. All in all I'm glad I have the game too bad it is too large for us to put it on site atm.

Eagle of Fire
07-02-2005, 05:51 PM
I guess you are all talking about Shandalar?

The game is worth playing but I agree it's still full of bugs. I seems to be lucky since I can play the game fine, but everyone else I gave the game to had lot of problems I did not experience myself. For example my neighbor can't select cards when he want to add cards to his deck(s). He simply don't see them at the bottom. He need to select a color, bring all the cards of that color on the screen then remove/sell the cards he don't wants. This also mean he will never be able to use the double lands either... :not_ok:

Sebatianos
07-02-2005, 06:00 PM
Yes, we are talking about the Shandalar.

It's a great game, but yes, there are bugs in it... The only one I experianced so far was the fact that I can't play the Lord of the Pit. The game always freezes if I play it.

Otherwise it works fine for me. But I do prefer the online game. If nothing else, there you at least know that you're playing against a real human! That's always a good thing.

Yamcha
07-02-2005, 06:17 PM
The game is from 1997, right?

The Niles
07-02-2005, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Yamcha@Feb 7 2005, 07:17 PM
The game is from 1997, right?
The origional release but there have been both a major update and an expansion pack (that added new cards).

Gun Man
07-02-2005, 07:43 PM
No its full of bugs now i cant see the cards name and and the menues....if i reinstall it i can see the cards but no the damage....

Gun Man
07-02-2005, 07:44 PM
The Online is free??

Yamcha
07-02-2005, 07:48 PM
Yes and No. Its a trial. My friend told me that if u register u can make your own deck if not you can still play online but with pre-made decks. Atleast he told so....

Durak
08-02-2005, 02:23 AM
First off I find all the new MTG sets all have super cheap cards and the game isn't nearly as good as it used to be (Fourth Age and Ice Age were sweet).

As for MTG games I've played for the computer, I never quite find they have the same feel as the card game since you have to go step by step usually and it seems to take an hour doing a turn through each phase instead of just going by the pattern I memorized so long ago.

Yamcha
08-02-2005, 07:30 AM
I just downloaded Magic Online.First it takes about 20 min to install even on 2,6 Ghz. Then you have the option to register (and pay) or to try the free trial. In the free trial u can play online BUT only with the cards from the 8th edition.

Patooti
08-02-2005, 11:18 AM
I remember one nifty bug for Shandalar, on your upkeep phase (or was it drawing phase I forgot), you can tap your opponent's land cards and voila... free mana burn for your enemy :D

It's fixed though with a patch, if memory serves correctly, the one in H-O-T-U is already patched.. bummer :D

The Niles
08-02-2005, 11:51 AM
Winning because you defeat your opponent is fun. Winning because you can cheat your way to succes is not.

The good thing about the old Magic is that it has the old cards. All the cards have been played to death and it is easy to fall in familiar paterns but I still prefer them to the new ones.
Too bad Ice age isn't in the old Magic as well as any gold cards. The astral cards should never have been added on the other hand. Wish there was some way to turn them off. Astral Knights are overpowered.

Patooti
08-02-2005, 11:57 AM
Winning because you defeat your opponent is fun. Winning because you can cheat your way to succes is not.

Well said :D

... Astral Knights are overpowered.

I second that :D

Too bad wotc shuts down the mtgplay project.. it was kinda nice to use it for playing magic with lots of cards (even newer ones) :cry:

Gun Man
08-02-2005, 03:06 PM
Every new edition of magic is worse than the other.....(1th and 4th edition rules)...., 7,8 sucks.

Gun Man
08-02-2005, 03:10 PM
I just redownload it....and it works without bugs(at least now).

Eagle of Fire
08-02-2005, 03:14 PM
There is no 1st edition... It goes Alpha, Beta, Revised (3rd) and 4th with a couple expension in between. :)

My oldest cards are from Revised (3rd edition) and it was a really good card game back then. I remember the time when creatures was what made you win games, not spells.

Magic was way more interesting back then... :not_ok:

The Niles
08-02-2005, 03:22 PM
The earliest expansions and editions had much better spels and enchantments then any other. It was very well possible to win the game without creatures back then and an only creature deck then was a sure fire way to lose.

Gun Man
08-02-2005, 03:41 PM
Stronghold is a good edition :ok: . 4 Megrim and 3 bottomless pit...(I have that) and is almost impossible to win.......me :P

Eagle of Fire
08-02-2005, 03:41 PM
I agree (to Picard) but you actually had to get those cards. When I began playing if someone would have a Force of Nature on play it was usually a sure win and led to forfeits most of the time. To beat that one would usually need to play blue and Counterspell it or have powerfull spells like Sword to Plowshare or the like and nobody could get the hand on those back then.

Lighning Bolts and Fireballs were common place tough... Ahhh, great memories. :D

Borodin
08-02-2005, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by The Picard@Feb 8 2005, 04:22 PM
The earliest expansions and editions had much better spels and enchantments then any other. It was very well possible to win the game without creatures back then and an only creature deck then was a sure fire way to lose.
There was also a better balance among the five colors back then. You literally couldn't win with a 1-color deck, at least, not against a really well-thought-out 2-color deck. Each color was deliberately designed to have major disadvantages as well as advantages, that could only be plugged by building in a secondary suit.

Now, I occasionally check online to discover where people win all the time using a solo Green deck--not surprising, considering it has just about everything, these days. Sadly, too, the balance among cards, the way one spell could always be countered in several different ways, is missing, too. But then, Magic: The Gathering eventually turned into Magic: The Cash Cow. It happens.

Gun Man
08-02-2005, 07:05 PM
A horrible truth. Just a green deck(or white but green is more common) can **** you up. :tomato:. And in some way The Sims remember me to Magic...(a lot non sense expansions) :rifle:

MasterGrazzt
08-02-2005, 07:24 PM
I'd say the last expansion worth it's salt was Mirage. Then Magic became Gerrard: the Vanity. My favourite, though, is Legends.

Isn't there some kind of angel card that automatically wins the game for you now if you manage to play it? It's funny when Unglued becomes a prophecy rather than a parody. Funny, and sad.

Oh well, there's always Legend of the Five Rings.

Gun Man
08-02-2005, 08:05 PM
There is a card.....red i think that if u win the toss you win the match if not Gameover.

Yamcha
08-02-2005, 08:18 PM
I bought a green kamigawa deck. Its easy to develope at the start but does not have powerfull creatures nor equipements. So it will be difficult to win only with 1 deck. Its true that the snake has a paralising ability but..... so u must put another deck if you want to win.

EDIT: ahhhh, yesterday I saw a card from the last deck kamigawa. U must pay one mana from each color to play the card, when in game you pay 2 manas and the target creature becomes 8/12 spirit with first strike.

Durak
09-02-2005, 12:34 AM
4th Edition, Ice Age, Cronicles and Alliances (Getting Balduvian Horde was pretty cool) were good sets in my opinion. My brother and I never really played multi coloured decks except for one green/white, we found playing plain black and such to be the most entertaining (as long as we took out "cheap" cards such as circle of protections and red cards such as "Destroy all white permanents"). It's especially fun being red and casting raging goblin first round then second casting two lightning bolts and having them at 12hp before third turn...

feminista
09-02-2005, 04:00 AM
Lots of old school players around here. I disagree that new cards are "cheap" or that the game is getting unbalanced, but I don't like the flavor of newer cards that much. Still, I love everything even up through the Rath Cycle, and I honestly don't mind some of the later sets. I just love interesting deck concepts myself. I think cool combinations of cards are way more fun than creatures attacking each other and getting blown up. I like interesting decks like Astral Slide, Griffin Canyon, Parfait, R/W Walls, etc. Just things that interest me, rather than things that are particularly good. And I can play these pretty well against silly goblin decks or whatever the kids are playing these days. I think if you blame the game for ruining things, you just don't quite have the creativity to get over your nostalgia. Just look at the type one meta. Now that cards are so much more readily available, strategy is way more important than individually powerful cards. It's a slightly different game, but I like it better that way. Platinum Angel and Darksteel Collossus don't bother me in the least. They don't really win games, and I play against people who are more mature than that.

Eagle of Fire
09-02-2005, 10:51 AM
I disagree. With the new sets the colors are not unbalanced anymore... They are all bland without taste and without personalities. I've seen white decks more agressive than black decks and black deck more life saving than white decks with the new sets, this is purely wrong.

I always seen dual color decks as a weakness. You can't compete with your own color? Then pick a second and hope you're strong enough to actually beat a good single color deck. However in the last sets this changed completely and turned things around. Right now playing single color is asking for trouble unless you got a cheap deck which lock the game up or simply kill you before you have time to even get the most basic creature or spell out.

Effectively completely kill the fun for me.

The Niles
09-02-2005, 11:34 AM
Strategy has always been more important then individually powerfull cards. The problem most people have is that they have so few cards strategy boils down to the luck of getting those few good cards you have on table.
What you said about cards being available now is nonesence. They have always been commenly available if they where available at all. The thing is you need to have the money to buy them as well as the will to spend that money, let's face it Magic is not a cheap hobby. If you have a significant amount of cards new strategies pop-up but you need the to cards make them work. I agree with you that once you get into the more in debth strategy the game starts to become more interresting.

I have three decks on standby right now for the odd game I still play. My most important is a Weissman deck that is my pride and joy ([W/U], figured it out with a lot of trail and error long before I even knew who Weissman was), a Turbo Stasis ([U/W/B], yes that is old school but then I am old school) and a Goblin deck ([R], I don't know why you would say why a Goblin deck is something kids play "these days". Goblin decks have been around since the earliest days of Magic, The Dark made them a real possibility. Making a Goblin deck work is not an easy thing to do, I still need a few Wheel of Fortune's to make mine shine).

I for one tuned out of the new releases once the Ice Age cycle was over (Alliances being the last expansion of that). All the shadow and flanking oddities where enough for me to lose interrest. I have no idea how the new Magic looks and I have no interrest in finding out. I still buy the odd card but no new ones.

Durak
09-02-2005, 01:11 PM
As far as I've seen, most players just throw four armadillo cloaks that STACK on a 7 7 unblockable that you can get third turn...

Omuletzu
09-02-2005, 02:26 PM
This has nothing to do with requests.It has been agreed upon that the game is too large for the site.Moved to oldies :bye:

Gun Man
09-02-2005, 04:55 PM
Like the Picard Said strategy is much better than a high power/defence creature......also 1 have a deck with only 6 creatures with more than 1 in both defense and attack, its a very quick deck, full of giant grows and that, full of 1/1 goblis and elves... just 3 Kings and Queens and you have 3/3+ quick, mana saver, and deadly :Titan: :P

MasterGrazzt
09-02-2005, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by The Picard@Feb 9 2005, 12:34 PM
I for one tuned out of the new releases once the Ice Age cycle was over (Alliances being the last expansion of that). All the shadow and flanking oddities where enough for me to lose interrest.
You know, the funny thing is that even though I defend Mirage as "the last good starter expansion" with Visions being the last worthwhile expansion, (even though the first signs of Gerrardism are there) I can never remember what Flanking does. Oh sure, I remember what Phasing is, the other new ability introdued in Mirage. And hey, didn't Fallen Empires and Homelands introduce some new abilities too?

It's gotten out of hand, however with such abilities as:

Sulk: Claim that your opponent cheated and convince them not to play with you anymore.

Mommy: Tap the card to get your mommy to buy you new cards, lose two life if half of these are not foil.

Talk anime: Target creature becomes unblockable due to your nonsensical jibberings about popular cartoons exported from Japan that have become a way of life for you.

Icy Manipulator Fetish: Demand that WotC creates an equivalent to the famed Icy Manipulator in every new expansion. Cry and flood their message boards if this does not happen. Everyone loses five life, and is surprised you know what the Icy Manipulator is. Guess you borrowed the Magic Encyclopedia from the library?

By the way, are there any Legend of the Five Rings players here? I just started not too long ago. Got a whole bunch of free cards from a dude that works at the comic shop I frequent. Who said all comic shop guys were mean cusses?

Eagle of Fire
09-02-2005, 08:32 PM
A flanking creature make another non-flanking creature -1/-1 when attacking or blocking.

MasterGrazzt
09-02-2005, 10:43 PM
Thanks, EoF.

By the way, for L5R, I play Phoenix clan. Kind of funny, isn't it?

The Niles
09-02-2005, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Gun Man@Feb 9 2005, 05:55 PM
Like the Picard Said strategy is much better than a high power/defence creature......also 1 have a deck with only 6 creatures with more than 1 in both defense and attack, its a very quick deck, full of giant grows and that, full of 1/1 goblis and elves... just 3 Kings and Queens and you have 3/3+ quick, mana saver, and deadly :Titan: :P
I have a deck with only 2 creatures period and both of those are 1/1. Yes, I do win quite a lot of games with that deck actually but others don't like it when I play with it.

Gun Man
09-02-2005, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by The Picard@Feb 10 2005, 12:35 AM
others don't like it when I play with it.

That's the objetive :ok:

Eagle of Fire
10-02-2005, 02:12 AM
That's the objetive* :ok:

False. The objective is to have fun playing a game.

Unless of course you are in a tournament. But then if you do compete you should be expected to have all or almost all the existing cards at your disposal so it kind of go against the point.

I myself played against people with lock down decks or the like once or twice. Once I knew they had such a boring deck I never played with them again. Players who play Magic to win on first turn or to prevent the other player from playing anything usually also tend to be uninteresting to play against anyways, whatever the deck they have.

Chris
21-02-2005, 07:58 PM
The game is worth playing. The real problem with the game is that certain rules do not work. For instance I have never been able to use the card "landtax". I have been able to put it in my deck and play it friom my hand but you are restricted to using it in a round of your turn on which the computer does not stop to let you take actions.

If you click the blue "phase logos" on the left side of your table instead of the "done" button, the game will commence until the phase you selected. Try clicking the untap or upkeep phase and you will not be thrown directly into the draw phase.