PDA

View Full Version : Space Quest 1 - The Sarien Encounter

Kosta
07-06-2004, 12:00 AM
Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review (http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/129)

Danny252
07-06-2004, 03:20 PM
cooooooooooooooooool...

Tom Henrik
07-06-2004, 10:10 PM
What I think is cool is that people such as you, Danny (who were not even born when this game was released) like the game! It tells me something about the quality of the game :)

Kreepah
15-06-2004, 12:29 PM
i was born in 1988 i like all those sierra games qfg's,kq's,sq's also the police quests are quite good.

what pisses me off is i cant get space quest 1 VGA!!
on the ega version i just got up to the generator and switched it off.
Now i gotta get the code ... FKH!

diafanos
18-09-2004, 10:55 PM
has anybody had a problem with the characters not appearing properly in the text box and the top line of the game? I tried downloading it from a number of sources and they all seem to appear garbled.... am I doing something wrong?

thanks

Kon-Tiki
19-09-2004, 12:07 PM
If you're using WinXP, those old AGI games can give some trouble now and then. What we always do in those cases, is try another interpreter. Prefered one is Nagi, which can be found here. (http://agidev.com) It could require some tweaking in the .ini file, but it's your best bet (and gives three-channel sound instead of one-channel sound without having to use the soundblaster patch ;) )

Maftík
08-03-2005, 11:00 AM
"George, do you have SQ2?" "Yeah, and SQ1 too". What to say about this megaculty dialog between me and my friend at 6th degree of basic school? CULT, CULT and CULT. This is the game. This is the adventure. I love you, Roger

29-07-2006, 08:02 PM
Where did the Soundtrack of the game come from? Is there a way to get sound like that in the EGA version?

Taran assistant pig-keeper
19-08-2006, 05:01 PM
This is one of the greatest games of all time. I'll say now that if you're a fan of adventure games and science fiction, you HAVE to play Space Quest. It's chalk-full of jokes and puzzles. The game itself isn't too difficult, but there are many ways to make Roger die (usually with plenty of warning)--and you'll probably find yourself killing him on purpose, because most of the manners of death are hilarious.

Try this one: (SPOILER)
When walking over the grate on the path above in the desert cave, purposefully fall from that height. I don't know why, but I couldn't stop laughing at the result!

The Fifth Horseman
22-08-2006, 09:42 AM
Is there a way to get sound like that in the EGA version?[/b]
Nyet.

Gumpy the Way Too Cool Cat
27-07-2007, 06:58 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Aug 22 2006, 10:42 AM) 250162</div>
Is there a way to get sound like that in the EGA version?[/b]
Nyet.
[/b]

One of the best games ever! Sierra games kick tail!

Gary_Oak
28-07-2007, 11:43 AM
I love this game, it's essencially Sierra's answer to LucasArts' Monkey Island.
Oh and Roger Wilco, one of the best characters ever! :ok:

arete
21-07-2008, 07:56 AM
Shouldn't these games change from "ESA protected" to "Sold"? Seeing as Sierra has left ESA?

Maybe, someday, the cheap buggers will stop selling it... I smell an AB Times article in here somewhere :nuts:

red_avatar
21-07-2008, 12:44 PM
arete, they released an updated version using DOSBOX just a year ago - they are at the top of "milking games" :P

gumpy
17-06-2009, 05:25 PM
A great start to a great series. Push the "Don't touch button" while in the escape pod for a laugh and a great easter egg!

DarthHelmet86
30-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Space Quest was a game I played alot as a kid, along with alot of Sierras games. I always thought it was funny as a kid but replaying it I found it wasn't as funny, though the series got alot funnier as it went along. Any way I have a Lets Play on Youtube Here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnribdxFmXc) Have fun playing the game.

DarthHelmet86
28-07-2010, 03:30 AM
This game is up on GoG for sale. Will need to change the link.

The Bloodhawk
17-09-2011, 06:58 PM
Really? I got it here.

The Fifth Horseman
17-09-2011, 11:02 PM
Looks like we missed this one when updating the status of the series. My apologies, it has now been fixed.

wat
06-03-2014, 11:51 PM
Looks like we missed this one when updating the status of the series. My apologies, it has now been fixed.

Hey, both this version and the original have "buy it" as the only option. The original redirects you to GoG where it has the first 3 for sale, but not the VGA version which is what I want.
I think this is what happened a few years ago, looking at the comments?

Panthro
07-03-2014, 10:32 PM
Steam has the Space Quest Collection, which contains the VGA version of Space Quest 1.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/10110/

Robnranz
20-04-2014, 11:55 PM
Hi
have had a little bit of time yesterday and wanted to get back into Space Quest. I am running Windows 8 on my machine. I downloaded the VGA version and DOS Box. When I start to launch the unzipped SQ file through DOS Box it comes up with the error message that the AGI file is missing even though it is in the same folder? Can anyone give me simple to follow instruction how I can get it to work. Also one more thing the Emulator will not work as full screen and only the size of 1/6 of my screen. Is there anything I can do to play on full screen mode?

Cheers

Rob