PDA

View Full Version : Using D-Fend Reloader to play a windows 3 game

TheNuttyProfessor
22-09-2012, 09:01 PM
I recently tried to play a sierra on-line game called Outpost 1.5 from the original disc. but i get an incompatibility error for either a 32 bit or a 64 bit version. I'm running a 64 bit windows 7 system.
Well i found the game under an abandonware site and downloaded it. The site suggested the use of D-Fend to play abandoware games, so I downloaded that as well.

Following the advice on loading games I get conflicting messages.

While trying to load the game into D-Fend from a zip file it gives a message that it is a windows game and it is unable to be imported into D-Fend that way.

So I have created a separate game folder on my hard drive with the game in it as well as a game folder inside D-Fend with the game in it. When I try import the game I get the following message.

The file {path} is a DOS executable. You should use DOSBox to open this file instead of starting it directly.

When I try to start it in DOSBox it say it requires Microsoft Windows.

It appears that the D-Fend Reloader is capable of playing windows games as it seems to have an emulator in it.

Do some programs have both dos and windows command lines that need both to play?

If the above is true how do you play them using D-Fend Reloader?

Japo
22-09-2012, 09:20 PM
I don't understand who's giving you the message "The file {path} is a DOS executable..."

Anyway it looks like this game could be for Windows 3.x (is it this one (http://www.mobygames.com/game/win3x/outpost/screenshots)?). In that case you can try this:

http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=27770

MrFlibble
22-09-2012, 10:49 PM
D-Fend reloaded is a frontend (user-friendly interface) for DOSBox. DOSBox can run Win3.x games if and only if a version of Win3.x is installed and available inside DOSBox.

The Fifth Horseman
23-09-2012, 09:08 AM
It appears that the D-Fend Reloader is capable of playing windows games as it seems to have an emulator in it. No. There is no specific Windows 3 emulator.
Do some programs have both dos and windows command lines that need both to play?No. If a game has both a Windows and a DOS version included,each has a separate executable.
If the above is true how do you play them using D-Fend Reloader?You don't. You run Windows 3 using D-Fend Reloaded. Then when Windows 3 is running, you run them using Windows 3.