PDA

View Full Version : Big Prize Give-away #2

The Niles
04-02-2005, 08:05 PM
Welcome to the second Big Prize Give-away held on Abandonia. Let me first give you the rules for entering the competition.

You need to send your answers to me via a PM. ONLY your first PM with answers will be accepted, all subsequent "change my second answer to xxxx" PM's will be ignored. Only board members and moderators can enter, admins cannot. You will have a week to enter your answers after that the winner will be announced within a week.

The Prize is an origional (and legal) english language version of Outcast (http://www.mobygames.com/game/sheet/p,3/gameId,358/) by Appeal bought by me and still in its schrink wrap cover. I will ship it (uninsured) anywhere in the world.

Now for the questions themselves. I decided this time to go for some more difficult questions that cannot be easily answered. You will have to do some real "leg" work in order to answer them but I am confident everyone will be able to uncover all the answers if you put some efford into it. The Questions are,

1] Space Quest 4 was released as talkie version on CD-Rom. Why wasn't Space Quest 5 released as a talkie version?

2] What 2001 hit game was greatly influenced by the storytelling and visual effects techniques used in motion pictures. Especially "Dark" ones.

3] Both in the origional and the sequal of the game from question 2 the main Characters where modelled of of real people. In the sequal which actors posed for the male and female lead?

4] Which single person do the following games have in common?

Black Crypt
Heretic
Star Trek Voyager : Elite Force
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Take No Priksoners
Hexen
Mage Slayer
CyClones
Necrodome

5] Which game, published in 1985 for DOS by a company that was bought by Infogrames (today ATARI) in 1999, is held by many as one of the earliest flight simulators?

having given you the rules and the question I am left with thanking both Frans from "www.Spacequest.net" and my friend Mr Peskapoe for their help in formulating the questions and to wish you all the best of luck with answering the questions.

Kon-Tiki
04-02-2005, 08:39 PM
You sure know how to pick the prizes. Time to participate again, but only to have a winner in case nobody else has all answers right. Wouldn't feel right, winning twice in a row while others'd have a chance too.

Wael
04-02-2005, 08:55 PM
Wow,
That is something good...

A game worth competing for...

Or would be,
Unless you already didnŽt own it,
and since Competing for something that you already own is hardly fair...
So IŽll pass it /-

The point of this post?
That game truly is worth the time it takes to understand the answers... /-

Havell
04-02-2005, 09:16 PM
Outcast!? :w00t:

I've looking that game for ages :D

*Quickly starts Google*

Stroggy
04-02-2005, 09:22 PM
Ah, i'm one of the lucky owners of Outcast, i've completed it 5 times to date... maybe I'll play it again. Ofcoarse I won't compete but to anyone who doesn't have this game its worth competing for, it is simply amazing!
Awesome story, visuals (bit weird but still unique), cinematics, music (I still remember most of the tunes) loads of characters and quests with full speech and a world that is really alive!

Really a great choice!

I remember when I first saw it in stores, me and my broither had been waiting so long for the game and finally i saw it there (I wasn't expecting it yet) and I was simply speechless.

Havell
04-02-2005, 09:56 PM
Got all of them except number 1, that's a hard question as it could be for many reasons.

mouse31e
04-02-2005, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by R Havell@Feb 4 2005, 10:56 PM
Got all of them except number 1, that's a hard question as it could be for many reasons.
Ah. That one didn't take me long at all! In fact, trust me, it's staring you in the face! LOL

Now I just need to work out the others! :D

Mucman
04-02-2005, 10:36 PM
I already have that game :)

Good questions!

Aristharus
04-02-2005, 10:56 PM
I have Outcast. I bought it back then.
But for some reason it won't install to my computer anymore. :cry:

rallier
04-02-2005, 11:32 PM
hey come on!!!!!! question number 1 is the easiest one...... i am went on for the second one and i guess i am stuck, there 2 or three games at least that were deeply influenced by movies...... i don't know which one to pick..... all these were great hits in their respective platforms and and they are dark in their manner........ do u mean dark as in undead form? (hint, hint) :P

Mentor
04-02-2005, 11:34 PM
Just joined the forums, for this contest, because I can't find that damn game.

And, just for GP, I'm pretty damn sure I got 'em all right.

rallier
04-02-2005, 11:55 PM
damn the game i selected is incompatible with question 3 :blink: it's not the first of the series it's one of long series :crazy:
i've got male and female lead roles but not the orginal :sick: :sick:

Unknown Hero
05-02-2005, 01:01 AM
I decided this time to go for some more difficult questions that cannot be easily answered.

Honestly, these questions are even more simple!

Kon-Tiki
05-02-2005, 07:07 AM
Right.... the previous once could be solved within five minutes by using a combination of Google, Mobygames and HOTU (just for checking up if the results were correct). These questions... found the answer to the first, but the game I had in mind for nr. 2... fits the description perfectly, and can name the names for nr. 3, but there's no lead female in nr. 1 of it, so that one's completely wrong. Not really too familiar with games from that era and newer, though, so might just be that. Haven't gotten around to the other questions yet, as I want to solve nr. 2 and 3 first.

Stroggy
05-02-2005, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Aristharus@Feb 4 2005, 11:56 PM
I believe you need a patch or something.

Wael
05-02-2005, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Aristharus@Feb 4 2005, 11:56 PM
Windows Nt?

For then the following would work -
"I have Windows NT and I can't install the game."
The System Checker that verifies you have the proper system requirements to run the game did not include Windows NT as a valid operating system and will halt the installation. To run the game with NT, you'll first need to de-activate the system checker like this:

Click the Windows Start button.
Select Run.
Type in D:\Setup\Setup.exe NOSYSCHECK (If D: is not your CD-ROM drive, substitute the appropriate letter).
Click OK. /-

Schabernakel-anbeter
05-02-2005, 09:37 AM
i know all the answers but i already have the game

and next time please make more difficult questions :tomato:

Tom Henrik
05-02-2005, 09:40 AM
Don't tempt us.

We have to make sure the questions are solveable, but we might raise the difficulty for the next one - as well as changing the rules a little. ;)

Stroggy
05-02-2005, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Tom Henrik@Feb 5 2005, 10:40 AM
as well as changing the rules a little. ;)
Rule #1: only people who have donated (at least) two times the price of the game to the site have a chance of winning the competition.

EDIT: it seems amazing but the north-american official site of outcast is still up!
You can download all the ingame tracks there (legally), if those don't impress you I don't know what will (except for maybe the demo)

Track 4 (end theme) and 7 (main theme) are in my opinion the best.

Outcast (http://www.outcast-thegame.com/)

Yamcha
05-02-2005, 12:18 PM
Holly... :w00t: Just looked at some screenshots and the game looks awsome. Now... where to find the answers....

Omuletzu
05-02-2005, 12:25 PM
I don't like these contests.Don't ask me why, i just don't like to participate in something like this.I do however acknowlegde the hard work that was put in making those question.I like the idea that it takes more than just googling up a few words to find out the answers.Great work :ok: :angel:

Iron_Scarecrow
05-02-2005, 12:32 PM
I suppose it doesn't look that bad. It's late in the evening now so I may start on the questions tomorrow. Depends if I could be bothered, propabaly won't be.

Yamcha
05-02-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Omuletzu@Feb 5 2005, 03:25 PM
I don't like these contests.Don't ask me why, i just don't like to participate in something like this.I do however acknowlegde the hard work that was put in making those question.I like the idea that it takes more than just googling up a few words to find out the answers.Great work :ok: :angel:
Dont think that googleing will do the job :) It took me 30 min of intensif searching to find the 1 answer.

rallier
05-02-2005, 01:07 PM
hmmm maybe we need a hint or something for the 2nd question :whistle:
the strange thing is that i was absolutely convinced i had it correct but when i went on the third question i said uh oh, the original one was not in 2001 but earlier and had no female lead role, (just 2 male lead roles if i remember well) and was just an arcade shooter in lunaparks :bleh: it was only the sequels that became available to pc's with some deeper gameplaying ( although haven't played it)
my other considerations had no female role at all (at least not lead roles).
so i must be stuck! :eeeeeh:

Tom Henrik
05-02-2005, 01:24 PM
Sorry, but we can't hand out any hints :)

(At least, I can't... as I only know the answer for the first question :bleh: )

The Niles
05-02-2005, 01:56 PM
No hints, I can advize everyone to read the questions carefully. Some of you might not be as far from the correct answer as you thought.

The questions where especially formulated so a google search would not get you the right answers and yes, that took quite a bit of time.

Eagle of Fire
05-02-2005, 09:15 PM
I'm going to pass again on this one since the game doesn't appeal to me in any way.

The questions seems to be extremely well made tough. Great work. :ok:

Iron_Scarecrow
06-02-2005, 08:56 AM
Well as I figured, I was too lazy to bother attempting the questions today so I'm out.

Yamcha
06-02-2005, 09:01 AM
I dont understand the fourth question. Its that 2 of those listed games have the same person?? For example the hero of the game x and the game y is the same person?? :help:

mouse31e
06-02-2005, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Yamcha@Feb 6 2005, 10:01 AM
I dont understand the fourth question. Its that 2 of those listed games have the same person?? For example the hero of the game x and the game y is the same person?? :help:
No. There is a person who is associated with every game on that list! That is what you are looking for.

Yamcha
06-02-2005, 11:20 AM
Oh..... Thanks mouse :bye:

Psyclone
06-02-2005, 03:04 PM
Just trying to find out the anwser for question 3, otherwise i have them all. At least i think i do. :)

FreeFreddy
07-02-2005, 11:27 AM
I see the new contest has started. And I'm not admin anymore... :whistle:
Only that I already have the game offered as a prize. So, no competition from me for you this time. :bleh:

Aristharus
07-02-2005, 04:26 PM
Windows Nt?

Nope, Windows 98SE back then. I installed XP a while ago and haven't tried to install the game after that. It probably will work... when I'll have the time to try it. Been very busy lately.

The problem was strange. It didn't show an error of any kind, it looked like it installed it. The installation seemed to finish, but when the completion bar reached 100% the installator just shut down and the game was nowhere to be found on my computer. It looked like it installed it, but uninstalled it just after it was completed.

But it'll probably work now. I gotta try some day.

But thanks anyway to anyone who tried to help. :)

Skumpaq
07-02-2005, 05:18 PM
Could you post the answers after the contest is finished ?

I have to say im a bit currious about question 4...

Tom Henrik
07-02-2005, 05:22 PM
We always post the answers ;)

The Niles
07-02-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Tom Henrik@Feb 7 2005, 06:22 PM
We always post the answers ;)
Or....

The only other time we have done this we posted the answers but don't worry we will post the answers as soon as the contest is over.

Psyclone
07-02-2005, 06:34 PM
Cool, i want to at least know if i got them right. I am pretty sure i did, took just a little tracking down for them all. :wall:

Unknown Hero
10-02-2005, 12:22 PM
Can this be over on saturday 11th in 0:00 p.m. not on friday in 0:00 (if you understand what I wanted to say)?

Tom Henrik
10-02-2005, 12:52 PM
Me undertand not. :wacko:

The Niles
10-02-2005, 01:22 PM
This competition will be closed on saterday morning, European Central Time. That is when I get up to go to work and I will count all PM's that are in my inbox at that time as valid entries.

Havell
10-02-2005, 03:58 PM
:blink: time to send off my answers.

Yamcha
10-02-2005, 07:59 PM
Woooohooooo :Brain:
Finally! I got all the answers. Now just a little PM.

J.Talbain
11-02-2005, 12:18 PM
I pretty much rushed my entry(finished it on wednesday, finished within 1.5 hours) , but I love trying :D

And oh , I just happen to be new here, hi everyone! :Brain:

Rketech
11-02-2005, 06:52 PM
Hello Everyone!!! :bye: This site is the reason i get on the internet anymore!!! WHOOOHOOO!! :ok:

The Niles
12-02-2005, 03:35 AM
The competition is now CLOSED.

Answers and the winner will be announced as soon as possilble.

Omuletzu
14-02-2005, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Rketech@Feb 11 2005, 09:52 PM
Hello Everyone!!! :bye: This site is the reason i get on the internet anymore!!! WHOOOHOOO!! :ok:
This thread is not apropriate, but welcome :cheers:

Yamcha
24-02-2005, 09:00 PM
What happened with the answers. It was supposed to take up to a week :cry:

Mentor
24-02-2005, 09:13 PM
Yeah, announce the winner so I can get my game :ok:

Yamcha
24-02-2005, 09:18 PM
Dont be so sure...

Havell
24-02-2005, 09:32 PM
WHOSE game??? :twisted:

Mentor
24-02-2005, 11:29 PM
Hey, fair rules for all, regardless of how much of an Canalis Analis I may be.

But eh. Whoever wins, more power to 'em. I'm still sure I got all the answers right.

FreeFreddy
25-02-2005, 05:34 AM
Ever wondered what would be if more then one answered all the question correct? :whistle:

Mentor
25-02-2005, 06:51 AM
Yeah, I assumed there would be some sort of random draw.

But hell, the nerd in me'd be happy if I got all the answers right.

He'd be happier if I WON, but still.

Tom Henrik
25-02-2005, 01:04 PM
The Picard is a very busy man, but I am sure that the winner will be announced very soon :bye: