PDA

View Full Version : Kings Quest 5 Wont Work

Tina
02-02-2005, 11:52 AM
I've downloaded KQ5 and (think) I have installed it... But when I try to start the game, the first error is something about sound - unable to initialize musichardware. Next I get a error with something like.. the Cpu has found a non-valid instruction (translated from danish) and the thing stops.

I admit that I'm not at all a computer expert or anything. - Just thougt it would be fun to play this old game.
Have I missed something crucial? (most likely)
What settings must be modified, before I can play?
Or maybe I must install something else before this game works?

I have windows XP - I cant remember the rest of the specs. but I can find out - I think...

Can anyone help an amateur?? Thanks a lot!

Tina

Wired
02-02-2005, 12:18 PM
Have you tried using DosBox, that's what I use and Kings Quest 5 works perfectly for me, have a look at this tread: Dosbox The Easy Way To Play (http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2696)

Tina
03-02-2005, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the hint! Now it works fine. Or.. the gameplay does. I just think the graphics are awfull... I've been playing full screen, and I now the game is old and everything - so I didn't expect it to be fantastic graphicwise.. but still - I was surprised that it was that bad...
A long time ago I played KQ4 - the one with Rosella - also on PC and the graphics back then were also not great, but still something you could stand looking at and better than what I got from KQ5 - And this was an older machine than the one I have now... I dont get it.

My computer has a ATI Radeon X800 graphics card in it - and normally graphics in (new) games are just fine.
Is it possible to change some settings to make the graphics look better?
Or must I just play the game minimized?

Thx

BUFFY
04-02-2005, 01:35 AM
Open Install in DosBox
Drag the Install.exe over the DosBox exe (to open it in DosBox)

Select Setup options
Go through selecting Soundblaster, no joystick, IBM keyboard, Microsoft mouse... etc (note it doesn't have an option for VGA etc, it does it automatically since its the remake).
When it says do you want install the game press ESC for no.

This should setup your sound etc, and hopefully fix the graphics issue... no guarantee :whistle:

JJXB
04-02-2005, 01:45 AM
im just downloading it to try it with VDMSound

edit - works fine with vdmsound :)