PDA

View Full Version : These annoying ad's have to go.

Artifice
17-02-2012, 12:29 PM
I love this site. I love it. But seriously? Every new page I load I've got to mute the stupid ad - TWICE! I've got nothing but respect for you guys running this site, and keeping it afloat. I doubt many of our associates visiting here are interested in the Hall of Style, just sayin'.

Thanks for everything!

Lulu_Jane
17-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Hi Artifice,

Unfortunately we don't have any control over the content of the ads. However the slow loading caused by the ads is an issue we could hopefully address. I recommend you use our contact form (http://www.abandonia.com/en/contact) to send your message to The Powers That Be.

It's great to have you with us, and I hope aside from the annoying ads you're finding some great old games and enjoying what we have to offer :)

RRS
17-02-2012, 04:11 PM
...and in the meantime you can benefit from AdBlock or NoScript plugins if you're using Firefox (I'm sure other browsers have their counterparts).

mil999
28-02-2012, 07:17 PM
I agree. This site is very good but now it looks messy. Ads everywere and now this facebook. Do something becouse it's unreadable.

euricog
28-02-2012, 11:49 PM
Please!!! For some months now that the site has been a pain to load. Besides the ads I am forced to block the multiple facebook/tweeter/etc plugins that effectively stop the front page from loading in a timely manner. Does anyone really need 100 fb plugins and a globe showing where tweets are coming from? Really? I fear that in a near future the site's content will be hard to find because it will be buried between likes and ads and other nonsense. Again, please do something about it!

Japo
28-02-2012, 11:55 PM
Our content is already hard to find. :( On the download pages we have deceitful ads reading "download" with bigger letters than the real download link, taking to different websites.

Dave
29-02-2012, 12:05 AM
Unfortunately we don't have any control over the content of the ads. However the slow loading caused by the ads is an issue we could hopefully address. I recommend you use our contact form (http://www.abandonia.com/en/contact) to send your message to The Powers That Be.

This.

Once solved the problem of the Quiz and other minor issues we will try to ask for an improvement, we can't do much more than this now.

TotalAnarchy
03-03-2012, 06:41 PM
Suffice to say a lot of the components on the frontpage can be removed by the admins here, without the approval of Abovo, since they were added without their consent in the first place.

Eagle of Fire
03-03-2012, 11:26 PM
Please!!! For some months now that the site has been a pain to load. Besides the ads I am forced to block the multiple facebook/tweeter/etc plugins that effectively stop the front page from loading in a timely manner. Does anyone really need 100 fb plugins and a globe showing where tweets are coming from? Really? I fear that in a near future the site's content will be hard to find because it will be buried between likes and ads and other nonsense. Again, please do something about it!
Eagle of Fire likes this quote.

Dave
04-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Suffice to say a lot of the components on the frontpage can be removed by the admins here, without the approval of Abovo, since they were added without their consent in the first place.
Those components fall under the cathegory site/community related content, not advertisements, widgets, and huge promotionals banners placed by them.

Network Buttons, Youtube Vid, Twitter, Stats Map and connections with other sites are the things added by us and I'm currently trying to reduce their impact on main page.
We don't have permission to remove the other things.
I'm pressing Abovo for an optimization of the main page, but considering the problems we have they are focusing on other issues.

BostonGeorge
10-03-2012, 03:20 AM

If this is the way Abandonia is going it is going without me.

DarthHelmet86
10-03-2012, 06:36 AM
The Facebook bar was added by the owners of the site and loads after the rest of the page. The rest of it has been here for months, even years. The world map has nothing to do with tweets it merely shows where in the world people are logging in from, it has been here longer then I have. We have no control over the ads on site, none at all only the owners can do anything about that. Not to mention the site has been loading faster then ever before for me since they did the server change thing.

alcaray3
10-03-2012, 08:37 AM
Waaaagh! Kardashian poisoning!

Dave
10-03-2012, 11:57 AM
The site has been improved again in the last days, now it loads faster.
The globe has been substituted with a button and there have been other improvements you probably didn't noticed like bandwidth and storage optimization.
I'm waiting to hear news regarding other things like Daily Quiz status, new compression formats and Download Time Limit.

The FB bar has not been our decision but thanks to it we had more than 600 likes in a month. I've asked to remove the music advertisements but I haven't received a real answer yet.

yoga
10-03-2012, 02:23 PM
The site has been improved again in the last days, now it loads faster.
The globe has been substituted with a button and there have been other improvements you probably didn't noticed like bandwidth and storage optimization.
I'm waiting to hear news regarding other things like Daily Quiz status, new compression formats and Download Time Limit.

The FB bar has not been our decision but thanks to it we had more than 600 likes in a month. I've asked to remove the music advertisements but I haven't received a real answer yet.

Dear Dave,

I am pleased to say that being AB member more than 5 years I have NO any problem with loading the site and the speed.
Yes.
Of course I respect every opinion.

Thank You.
:rolleyes:

kemo
10-03-2012, 11:51 PM
adblock plus, fixes almost all the problems!

Frodo
11-03-2012, 10:41 AM
The audio ads are powered by AdBrite. You can block AdBrite from loading onto your computer, without having to download any extra software.

Here's how to block the audio ads. (http://www.exterminate-it.com/malpedia/remove-adbrite-com#permanent)

:OK:

Dave
12-03-2012, 04:43 PM
Thank you for the suggestion Frodo, it can be an effective temporary solution, in the meanwhile they are dealing with the ad provider to disable them, so I expect to hear good news soon.

Dave
13-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Audio ads have been disabled, in case you see new ones report them to me and I'll gladly ask to remove them. Happy stealth navigation :p