PDA

View Full Version : Kings Quest IV - The Perils of Rosella

Kosta
06-06-2004, 06:59 PM
Feel free to comment and discuss this game here. Also, if you have any useful tips or tricks don't hesitate to share them with the others! Thanks!

Review (http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/117)

RunWithScissors
04-01-2005, 10:16 PM
This is one of my favorite Kings Quest. There should be a AVG contest about who can make the best Kings Quest 9, adventure form.

Jackoliov
04-01-2005, 10:21 PM
I highly recommend this game, it is THE first computer game I ever played...... of course, that was over 10 years ago...... and I was young, and the troll scared me :cry:

mikebarry
08-01-2005, 11:25 AM
I remember the most difficult part when I was younger was getting out to the whale on time. I would always end up exploring around and wasting too much time...which is probably why I didn't beat the game (by myself) until many years later.

Iron_Scarecrow
08-01-2005, 01:03 PM
I think the hardest part for me was getting Pandora's Box (was it Pandora's Box?) from the witch, and if I did get it I remember not being able to get through some part of the forest. Well my memory is foggy, but I do remember at the age of 6 this was my favourite of the Kings Quests. The first three had graphics that weren't very nice to look at and I didn't like the whole point and click thing at the time. So four was my only option. :ok:

edlglide
09-01-2005, 12:27 AM
I used to be afraid of the haunted house on this game. Whenever I accidently stumbled onto that screen I would immediately walk off, even when it was day and the zombies and ghosts weren't out and about.

BUFFY
10-01-2005, 09:57 PM
This was also my first KQ game, my family spent forever trying to get through this game. Retracing our steps, trying different things. I sure dont miss those "Insert Disk..." prompts!

Turns out there was a bug in our version, kept freezing at the Waterfall sceen, which basically stopped us from progressing. Years later when I mailed Sierra they sent a patch back, wasn't quite the same finishing it on my own with the walkthrough! :crazy:

mikebarry
11-01-2005, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by BUFFY@Jan 10 2005, 02:57 PM
Turns out there was a bug in our version, kept freezing at the Waterfall sceen, which basically stopped us from progressing.
That's terrible :cry:

I hate to admit it, but I never had to figure out the majority of the solutions on my own. By the time I was old enough to beat any of the games on my own my Mom or Grandma had already figured out the solution, and shared it with me (they would write down certain words and commands on paper to help me spell / play the game). So, I don't really ever remember having to figure out every puzzle. They didn't write every solution down for me, but it just seems like it used to come second nature...and what didn't I would get help with :)

wendymaree
11-01-2005, 03:16 PM
I just downloaded this game. Because of mikebarry's screenshots I realised I haven't played this version of KQ. I thought I'd played them all. The typing of commands is a bit annoying because you have to hit on the right action verb or the game refuses to accomodate you. So far it appears a really charming story.

sarah
16-01-2005, 05:23 PM
can someone help me out, i have no idea how to download the game. you can email me if you want.. xoelectro@hotmail.com

Sebatianos
16-01-2005, 06:26 PM
Click on the GET IT button - then another GET IT button will show up, and some adds (please clik on them too - that helps our site going).

OK I sent you the mail explaining what you must do, but remember for the future:

Just come back here and look for an answer - it's easier then using the E-mail!

BUFFY
16-01-2005, 10:30 PM
Yeah my older sisters did all the puzzle solving, I basically just re-did what had already been done. I remember we spent ages climbing up those stairs in the haunted house and couldnt do anything once we got there but play the organ!! Missed out on so much :cry:

We had the manual also which basically lists all the words that can be used throughout the game, otherwise I can see how it takes ages to finally get the right phrase.

Sarah: Go to the first page (view first post) of this forum and click on the Review + Download link, then follow Sebatianos' instructions.

LeD
17-01-2005, 04:27 PM
:ok: Just like JackOlivo said on his message. This was my first computer game I ever played. Its an awesome game still, even though its nearly 2 decades old. I highly recommend it for any fan of Adventure genre. Now all these years later I can finally play it and finish it for the first time. Not gonna look at walkthrough like Buffy did :D

zupa573
21-01-2005, 08:13 PM
where's the whale? this is very difficult to allocate.

MasterGrazzt
21-01-2005, 08:22 PM
In the ocean.

Danbojones
02-02-2005, 08:52 PM
I loved this game. First KQ I ever played, and I was about 10 I believe. Took me weeks to finally win the game (Days before online walkthru's). This game inspired me to get every other KQ that ever came out.

One thing though. Having some probs getting the sound to work. Any suggestions?

:cry:

wendymaree
03-02-2005, 04:07 AM
I don't think that there's a speech track included, only music. Can you hear background music?

Danbojones
06-02-2005, 12:41 PM
no background music or anything, and now I'm having a prob saving.

GuestingCharacter
20-02-2005, 06:12 PM
Yeah, it's not letting me save either. :-\

BUFFY
21-02-2005, 06:04 AM
Whats the error message you are getting?

Some games stop allowing you to save once the limit is reached, but even then they allow you to replace a game instead.

thecitycouldnotstop
26-02-2005, 05:48 PM
It's not letting me save either! There was one game already saved under the name "John's save", and I've tried saving on top of that one, but I get an error message. I used it in XP first, and it would freeze up and shut down when I tried to save, so I tried the VDM which doesn't freeze up and shut down when you try to save, but it still won't accept the save. What can be done about this? I don't have a floppy drive, so I don't have a lot of options, really. Help!

Hadley Hadlen
04-03-2005, 08:42 PM
I'm getting the same problem. I love this game and it was the first Kings quest I ever played (Back on the old Tandy) And I would love to play it again, but it wont let me save either. And the chane I could get thru the game without dying once is astronomical. The only save I have is that John jerk and it wont let me overwrite it either, and iv'e tried a million solutions. Is there anything to be done about this?

BUFFY
05-03-2005, 11:51 AM
Well im trying to eliminate things here...

Firstly if your running XP you should have ran INSTALL.EXE in DosBox (http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2696), I selected the IBM options, then have run SIERRA.EXE in DosBox

If you running Win98 you might not have needed to run it in DosBox, but you still should have run INSTALL.EXE first.

MAKE SURE YOUR FOLDER IS NOT READ-ONLY! As it may be for some mysterious reason... right click the "Kings Quest 4 - The Perils of Rosella" folder, click properties, then check the Attribute tick boxes down the bottom. Untick Read Only if its checked, then click Apply then Ok.

Try saving the game as soon as you start playing - don't want to get half way then find out it still doesn't work! :ok:

Any results?

Doc Adrian
05-03-2005, 08:08 PM
Another beautiful classic, I love all the older Kings Quest Games. I do hate that whale though, I have been deep fried in whale drool quite a few times trying to get out of there.

alison
06-03-2005, 05:52 PM
No luck. I ran the Install file without DOSbox initially, so I tried running it with DOSbox this time. I used the same configuration (the IBM or PC compatible options), and then tried running the game without DOSbox and then with it. Neither worked. It just won't let me save. It keeps saying there's not enough space on the disk. Do I need to put the game on a floppy? That would suck, because I have one of those stupid computers without a drive. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

Anovich
06-03-2005, 07:17 PM
I think it's a fun game, played it when I was a kid, and liked the story very much, so actually when I ran out of stories to tell the kids where I work, I borrowed the story from kq4 and the kids loved it, hehe. I think they thought the witch sisters were pretty scary though and frankly- so did I when I played it as a kid!

BUFFY
06-03-2005, 09:16 PM
Alison,

The only thing I can think for you to try is to extract the zip to another loacation (KQ4_2) run INSTALL.EXE again (remember when it says 'Do you want to install the game now' or something at the end just press ESC) then try SIERRA.EXE again.

The older games use all that "extended memory" stuff but I can't see a setting or anything so who knows. Hopefully it was just something that happened but the new one will work. Make sure your folder hasn't got Read-Only selected in its properties.

It seems this has happened to a few people so if anyone finds a solution please share :ok:

08-03-2005, 08:10 AM
Despite I absolutely LOVED the type-controlled Sierra adventure games, this wasn´t my favorite. I don´t know why but it was not entertaining to me and it bored me a little. So I finnished it targetly with the walkthrough. BUt I must say that it really is a very, very hard game to finnish it and maybe really the hardest of all the king´s quests. If I have to make the chart of all type-controlled Sierra games I´ve ever played, this one would figure out on last positions ... :ph34r:

08-03-2005, 08:10 AM
Damn, I´ve forgot to subscribe. Maftík :bye:

thecity/alison
12-03-2005, 05:28 PM
sorry, i didn't realize i'd posted under 2 different names, but i am the same person.

thank you for all of your suggestions, buffy (i just got buffy season 4 in the mail a few days ago which is why it took me a while to get away from the TV to try the suggestions), but none of them worked. i have no idea.

i tried re-downloading it several times, running the install different ways, i tried running it regularly, with dosbox, and with vdmsound, and nothing worked.

i'll fiddle with it every now and then and see if i can figure something out.
but thanks for your help, anyway, i really appreciate it.

Daniel
15-03-2005, 03:08 PM
In the later part of the game, where you escape from the tower room i find that this version freezes just as i pass the goon... has anyone else experienced this problem? can it be fixed? i just get this 'you've discovered an internal error'-message... =(

KingGraham
23-03-2005, 12:18 PM
The game is very enjoyable, but I have a little problem; the sound and music is gone. What's wrong?

alison/thecity
25-03-2005, 03:51 PM
buffy, you were right!!!!
i can't believe i didn't even see that in your post.
it was because the folder was read-only.
i finally went to delete the files, completely giving up on finding a solution, and it asked if i wanted to delete the read-only file!
duh.

i must have just skimmed over it.

so to everyone else who is having problems with saving (in case you didn't see buffy's first post with the solution), just right-click in an empty space your folder, choose "properties", and unclick the "read-only" selection.

hopefully that's the problem for everyone else, too.
if not, try making a new folder elsewhere and when you hit "save", click on "change directory", and change it to that folder. (but i have a suspicion this only worked for me because the new folder wasn't read-only)...

anyway, thanks.
i should have known!

alison/thecity
25-03-2005, 04:20 PM
just in case that didn't work for anyone, i also found the save game files that are in there (John's save), and deleted them. i deleted KQ4SG (dir file), KQ4SG.000 (000 file), and KQ4SG.001 (001 file), and that seemed to really do it this time.

i don't know if it was actually the read-only issue, because it didn't really let me save a game in the same folder after changing the read-only option -- i only thought it did.

i would suggest to some Higher Power here at abandonia.com that they repost the KQ4.zip without these 3 files. that seems to be the problem. if you're not comfortable deleting these files, however (after all, i really don't know what i'm doing, just lucky guesses), the other option that remains is to make a new empty folder for saved games. you just have to choose "change directory" every time you save.

anyway, i'll stop posting now!

Guest_Gem
20-04-2005, 07:32 AM
I played KQ4 when I was like 6 or 7....and i did enjoy it but i kept forgetting to save before big parts - so if i got killed, i'd cry my eyes out! LOL :D
But when i was playing it properly, i thoroughly enjoyed it - and when i downloaded it from this site, i could remember everything that you had to do! i didn't need a walkthru or nothing! :angel:
But i forgot about how loud and repetitive the music was coming off the computer! twas very loud! LOL
But u've gotta admire the look of the game- it has come a long way since the other 3 games and also, this story line was the best of the lot! All sorta fairy tale related - and being so young (this was 10-11 years ago for me) i enjoyed working along with those story lines hehe.

A fab game i reccomend it to anyone coz it's an anyones game :ok:

MediocreDeity
07-05-2005, 09:22 PM
Did anyone ever figure out what's up with that "John's Save" bug? I can restore his save, but I can't save any of my own games or save over his game. :(

Jayem
17-06-2005, 05:24 AM
Okay, I'm a little computer stupid and potentially blind, but I cannot figure out how to DL this game - it was on my first computer, and I loved it, but I could never get past about 60 points worth of crap. When I first got the internet, the walkthrough was one of the first things I looked up - then felt stupid because my 7 year old mind had no idea about how to do all that I needed to do in it. (don't ask!)

Thanks,
Jayem

Edited for warez content, and e-mail safety reasons.

A. J. Raffles
17-06-2005, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by Jayem@Jun 17 2005, 05:24 AM
Okay, I'm a little computer stupid and potentially blind, but I cannot figure out how to DL this game - it was on my first computer, and I loved it, but I could never get past about 60 points worth of crap. When I first got the internet, the walkthrough was one of the first things I looked up - then felt stupid because my 7 year old mind had no idea about how to do all that I needed to do in it. (don't ask!)

Thanks,
Jayem
The good news is you're neither stupid nor potentially blind, Jayem. The bad news is you can't download it any more because it's ESA-protected, so asking for a download link or somebody to send you the files amounts to asking for warez. The only legal way of getting the game would be to try amazon or ebay or the like. Sorry.:)
(By the way, if I were you, wouldn't post my email address. You'll only get tons of spam.)

Guest_Rosella500
05-07-2005, 07:49 PM
Hey, I LOVE this game and I remember saving up all my money to buy it a couple years ago. But now when I play it, when I go up the stairs to get to the organ, the game stops and I get an "Out of heap" error. Can anyone help me with this?

elisa
10-07-2005, 02:54 AM
:help: alguien que me ayude como puedo bajar el juego :yawn:

A. J. Raffles
10-07-2005, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by elisa@Jul 10 2005, 02:54 AM
:help: alguien que me ayude como puedo bajar el juego :yawn:
Sorry, but if you need help you'll have to ask for it in English, I'm afraid.

edgar
19-07-2005, 05:38 PM
anyone know where this can be downloaded from? esa, yeah, yeah, i know, but come on... :D my dad bought the 5 1/4 " version in 1988 - ironic as KQ4 was one of the few games i've ever owned in a legit version, and yet it's the only one i can't now play!!

any suggestions gratefully received...

A. J. Raffles
19-07-2005, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by edgar@Jul 19 2005, 05:38 PM
anyone know where this can be downloaded from? esa, yeah, yeah, i know, but come on... :D my dad bought the 5 1/4 " version in 1988 - ironic as KQ4 was one of the few games i've ever owned in a legit version, and yet it's the only one i can't now play!!

Well, yes, it is ironic, but we still can't point you to an illegal download, obviously. Sorry.

Sebatianos
19-07-2005, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by edgar@Jul 19 2005, 07:38 PM

Maybe you could try to find that old disk your dad bought?

edgar
19-07-2005, 11:17 PM
problem is the amstrad died a long time ago along with the floppies. (and these were proper floppy disks - back in the days when they were actually floppy!) there must be some recourse. i have managed to find a version but its password protected - from some german site. all very frustrating.

elys
29-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Hello all

I've just bought the Kings Quest Collection off ebay (LOVING the trip down memory lane!!) I mainly got it for kq4, and as soon as it arrived i took the phone off the hook settled myself down to relive my youth. I haven't played this game for nearly 20 years, but i remember it quite well - at least i think i do... Here's the problem - i'm absolutely convinced that before giving the pouch of diamonds to the fisherman, you need to offer the it to one of the dwarfs in the mine, in order to get the lantern. But every time i try it just says 'the dwarves have everything they need'. It's driving me bonkers cos i can't get the fruit without the lantern! Is there a bug in the CD-rom version?? Or am i being stupid? Help!!

Frodo
29-07-2005, 10:11 PM
I think you need to offer the diamonds to the HEAD dwarf near the back of the mine (the mine is 2 screens longs, if I remember correctly). Then the head dwarf will tell you to keep the diamonds and give you the lantern.

:ok:

elys
29-07-2005, 11:06 PM
brilliant!! Thank you!! Now the problem is i'm getting through the game way too quickly - darkness doesn't seem to want to fall! I've become so impatient in my old age! :ok:

Frodo
29-07-2005, 11:14 PM
As long as you are enjoying them.

:D

14-08-2005, 04:50 AM
Im having trouble finding the whale as well, ive spent about 2 hours now, (stopping and going back to the game several times) trying to find the stupid whale. i can find the sharks no problem.....well the sharks can find me no problem. but i cant find that stupid whale, ive been doing the edge of the screen trick, but it seems the shark fallows me to the next screen....which is VERY annoying. Any other suggestions

Frodo
14-08-2005, 10:22 AM
Yes, it can be tricky to find the whale.

Have you found the island yet? If you keep swimming back and forth between the island and the main land, you should eventually find the whale?

bananapeel
19-01-2006, 02:31 AM
Hi,
I was wanting to play the game, but need to be able to get through the manual question before I can play. I lost my manual, but found the copy on the site...one problem, no page numbers!!!! Any help here?

LeD
21-01-2006, 01:21 AM
Well over a year since my post...I never got to beat the game on account of it not wanting to save my game :( one day perhaps, one day

26-11-2006, 04:24 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BUFFY @ Jan 16 2005, 11:30 PM) 51928</div>
Yeah my older sisters did all the puzzle solving, I basically just re-did what had already been done. I remember we spent ages climbing up those stairs in the haunted house and couldnt do anything once we got there but play the organ!! Missed out on so much :cry:

We had the manual also which basically lists all the words that can be used throughout the game, otherwise I can see how it takes ages to finally get the right phrase.

Sarah: Go to the first page (view first post) of this forum and click on the Review + Download link, then follow Sebatianos' instructions.
[/b]

I was wondering if you can tell me how to figure out what phrase to use.. I have the manual in a word doc. so I can not tell what page I am on... Can anyone help with the manual?? Please I love this game I think my fav part was the waterfall and haunted house!!!! Please respond back to [BEEEP]@aol.com

gumpy
17-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Sierra's first game to use the SCI engine. A fun Sierra quest. :)

sefro
18-09-2009, 06:08 AM
I think you need to offer the diamonds to the HEAD dwarf near the back of the mine (the mine is 2 screens longs, if I remember correctly). Then the head dwarf will tell you to keep the diamonds and give you the lantern.

what if i already gave the diamonds away?
im at over 100 points and i think i screwed myself by not gettingt the lantern seeing as a cant get bast the troll....
if you have a solution that doesn't involve me starting over id love to hear it

sefro warwick.net

FrodoSam999
25-08-2010, 09:31 PM
where's the whale? this is very difficult to allocate.
Keep swimming east/west through the ocean in the daytime. Save your game before swimming in the ocean, & swim west from different parts of the main land's beach. If it is nighttime & the whale still doesn't appear restore/restart the game & swim in daylight. Honestly, I've never asked Rosella to swim the ocean at night.

Capo
10-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Im wrong or there isnt any Vga version of this game ?

The Fifth Horseman
10-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Isn't.

Phantom
10-04-2011, 11:26 PM
No VGA version for this one, but pray that AGD Interactive will come up with a remake of the fourth quest in the series.

Panthro
11-04-2011, 06:53 PM
AGD Interactive won't be making any more remakes, as far as I know. The King's Quest III remake was the last one.

There's always hope from Infamous Adventures (who are currently finishing off Space Quest 2 remake), but I think they are moving onto "Kingdom of Sorrow" (Formerly Project X) - a new King's Quest game, and they have other projects which they may prefer over remaking another KQ game.

The best current hope for a KQ4 remake is Magic Mirror Games: http://www.mmgames.org/KQ4/

Progress has been slow, but I'd recommend checking out their forum.

Capo
11-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Actually in the Agd forums the is an official poll on which will be the next remake, king's quest 4 is in the list and is winning.

Panthro
11-04-2011, 09:29 PM
Really? I thought they were switching to making games for money. It would be great to see a remade KQ4 though, it's got a lot of potential.