PDA

View Full Version : IMG files

allthumbs
14-05-2011, 11:06 PM
I downloaded all the files for Crusader No remorse from the ISO Cellar. They are img files. I can take them and burn them to a cd like a regular iso file, can't I? Or do I need to convert them to iso files first?

Abandoned Witch
15-05-2011, 12:27 AM
I had that problem back in the day when I'm converting IMG files, but still you can convert it by renaming the .img file to .iso.

The Fifth Horseman
15-05-2011, 08:31 AM
I'm fairly sure they're closer to BIN than ISO. Yes, if my memory serves, you can burn a disc using them directly, without converting.
you can convert it by renaming the .img file to .iso.Renaming the file does not automagically change the file contents.

Luchsen
17-05-2011, 09:43 AM
IMG ~ ISO. A renamed file often works.

Ermuli
17-05-2011, 11:10 AM
And if the game has audio tracks...

dosraider
17-05-2011, 12:22 PM
..... you're screwed.

catchaserguns
18-05-2011, 02:27 AM
You can't convert img to iso which has multiple tracks. I suggest get the free burning software ImgBurn. It burns iso,bi,cue,and nrg. and its FREE. Or you can get the share version of Ultra Iso and that practically burns everything.

Luchsen
18-05-2011, 10:53 AM
If you have a program that only accepts ISOs, it's better to - perhaps - have no audio than to have nothing. And by the way, some programs I used in the past were able to access audio tracks on an ISO. They didn't use the ISO 9660 standard even though they only accepted ISOs. They world is strange, sometimes.

Eagle of Fire
18-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Okay, this has gone long enough without any Troubleshooting involved. Moving to Tech Corner.

Japo
18-05-2011, 07:12 PM
I wouldn't rely on hacks that may or may not work, get a program that supports .img CD images, there are plenty of free ones.

You can't convert img to iso which has multiple tracks. I suggest get the free burning software ImgBurn. It burns iso,bi,cue,and nrg. and its FREE. Or you can get the share version of Ultra Iso and that practically burns everything.

I can very much recommend ImgBurn (http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download) too. But it's for making and burning images, that is everything except mounting images as virtual drives. For that I recommend Virtual CloneDrive (http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html). Although maybe with the excuse that it's freeware they don't register their driver with Microsoft or something, so Windows will give you a warning while installing it, but I trust it--and you can find it in any freeware directory such as download.com etc.

(I could recommend Daemon Tools too, it has one downside, that it slows down reading CD drives, not only itself but by any other program, as long as the Daemon Tools driver is installed. I learnt this from ImgBurn actually, which gives a warning everytime it finds this driver installed, and I tested and verified it. It's obvious that the guy who makes ImgBurn knows very well what he's doing, and every caveat of CD I/O.)

Smiling Spectre
19-05-2011, 01:59 PM
(I could recommend Daemon Tools too, it has one downside, that it slows down reading CD drives, not only itself but by any other program, as long as the Daemon Tools driver is installed. I learnt this from ImgBurn actually, which gives a warning everytime it finds this driver installed, and I tested and verified it. It's obvious that the guy who makes ImgBurn knows very well what he's doing, and every caveat of CD I/O.)
Wow. Is it relates to CD or DVD alike? I never knew it! Thank you for the info!

Japo
19-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Wow. Is it relates to CD or DVD alike? I never knew it! Thank you for the info!
I don't remember if I used CD or DVD to test, but the warning mentioned no specificities, so I'd guess yes.