PDA

View Full Version : Ohne Mitleid

Ohne Mitleid
15-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Lost City of Atlantis, The - English translation modification version, full screenshot map of World 1, Level 1, Skill Beginner

I also would like to review and screenshot Die Hard if it hasn't been taken.

Thanks!

Dave
17-01-2011, 02:16 PM
You all did a great modding job there :OK:

And green light for Die Hard, reserved to you :)

Ohne Mitleid
17-01-2011, 10:17 PM
You all did a great modding job there :OK:

And green light for Die Hard, reserved to you :)
Thanks Dave!:woot:

Dave
18-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Just to avoid misunderstandings, I'm talking about this one:

Publisher: Activision, Inc.
Developer: Dynamix, Inc.
Released: 1989

Info: Moby (http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/die-hard)

When done post here and I'll send you FTP access (in case you haven't it).

Thank you for oyur help :)

Ohne Mitleid
18-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Just to avoid misunderstandings, I'm talking about this one:

Publisher: Activision, Inc.
Developer: Dynamix, Inc.
Released: 1989

Info: Moby (http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/die-hard)

When done post here and I'll send you FTP access (in case you haven't it).

Thank you for oyur help :)

Understood, I am aligned with the same game. This has been reviewed, screenshots and all. I do not have FTP access but before that is even considered to be granted, I have a couple of questions.

I couldn't find any control instructions on the Internet so I figured out the controls and wrote my own set. This is in PDF format with graphics from the game illustrating the controls. I don't know if this is necessary, but would it be possible to consider it for the Extras section at the very least? The control instructions are very lengthy and probably too long to be included in the review. How should I make reference to a set of instructions in my review?

Secondly, the game contains some sort of in-game copy protection that requires you type in a two-digit Security access code in order to continue outside of the confines of the starting level. I figured out the codes and modified the executable so when the time arrives to enter the code, the code is the same as what is displayed on the screen. So basically, instead of displaying "Security access: D35" requiring you to type in "64" to continue, the same screen would display "Security access: 64" and the player would only need to type in "64" to continue. Again, I don't if this is necessary, if you already have a "cracked" version or how I should present it to the site if it is wanted.

Blah, blah, blah...I know.:blush:
Cheers
Ohne

Dave
19-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Understood, I am aligned with the same game. This has been reviewed, screenshots and all. I do not have FTP access but before that is even considered to be granted, I have a couple of questions.Sure, I'm sending you the access in the meantime :p

I couldn't find any control instructions on the Internet so I figured out the controls and wrote my own set. This is in PDF format with graphics from the game illustrating the controls. I don't know if this is necessary, but would it be possible to consider it for the Extras section at the very least? The control instructions are very lengthy and probably too long to be included in the review. How should I make reference to a set of instructions in my review?
Sure, we can add that pdf as extra and you can cite the thing inside the review, for example under the "Notes" section.

Secondly, the game contains some sort of in-game copy protection that requires you type in a two-digit Security access code in order to continue outside of the confines of the starting level. I figured out the codes and modified the executable so when the time arrives to enter the code, the code is the same as what is displayed on the screen. So basically, instead of displaying "Security access: D35" requiring you to type in "64" to continue, the same screen would display "Security access: 64" and the player would only need to type in "64" to continue. Again, I don't if this is necessary, if you already have a "cracked" version or how I should present it to the site if it is wanted.

I wasn't aware of this, however I can send you our archive and let you check if it's playable or not, if it's not we will give precedence to your copy ok? :)

Blah, blah, blah...I know.:blush:
Cheers
Ohne
Not a problem ;)

Ohne Mitleid
20-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Die Hard - Review, screenshots, instructions and archive

The archive is the same as the one from the link you PMed me except the EXE has been replaced with the "cracked" version (Diehard1.zip). This would probably explain why no one else on the internet has reviews of the game or any movie footage other than the 1st level:woot: Abandonia exclusive!

The instructions are the PDF file I created, so they should probably go through the same filter as the review. I have the ability to edit the file if necessary.

Two more things:
- Could I get the thread name changed to just "Ohne Mitleid"?
- What should I do with the Lost City of Atlantis (English mod)?

Thanks
Ohne

Dave
21-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Ok perfect, well done. We will use your archive then :OK:

The topic name has been changed by one of the updaters, regarding the Modded game just upload it, we will probably upload it as extra.
Thank you for everything!

Ohne Mitleid
21-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Ok perfect, well done. We will use your archive then :OK:

The topic name has been changed by one of the updaters, regarding the Modded game just upload it, we will probably upload it as extra.
Thank you for everything!

Thanks for the thumbs up and the name change.

I have uploaded the Modded Atlantis and the Level 1 map. I made a mistake though, and created the Atlantis directory and then dropped the two files outside of that directory :doh2:, so they will need to be moved. They should be easily identifiable since they both start with 'Atlantis'.

Thanks!

Dave
21-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Not a problem, just solved ;)

Paco
21-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the thumbs up and the name change.

I have uploaded the Modded Atlantis and the Level 1 map. I made a mistake though, and created the Atlantis directory and then dropped the two files outside of that directory :doh2:, so they will need to be moved. They should be easily identifiable since they both start with 'Atlantis'.

Thanks!

Game Folder should always be renamed with the FULL title. so remember it for the next time and thank you.

Ohne Mitleid
22-01-2011, 12:24 AM
Game Folder should always be renamed with the FULL title. so remember it for the next time and thank you.
I am sorry, I misunderstood the initial post (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showpost.php?p=353038&postcount=1) about submitting material to Abandonia.
when creating the game's archive, place all the files in a folder, give the folder a 8-character title (related to the original game name; this is referred mostly to DOS/PC Booter games.) and only then archive it in .zip

I'll make note of it.
Ohne

Ohne Mitleid
26-01-2011, 05:10 PM
I modded a combination of things and ended up with a new archive.
New archive contents:

Fully functional end-to-end cracked game
Still frame snapshots instead of animations (full functionality and smaller size)
Readme.txt file for setup
DOSBox.conf setup requirements

The new archive is about 1.3Mb as opposed to the 1.08Mb available on Abandonia. I hope that is an acceptable size increase.

I also have a question about abandoned issues with the manual. What are the rules / laws regarding remaking a manual? I know I did one for Die Hard, but that one was from scratch. I downloaded the Zool 2 manual from Abandonia but it isn't a very good scan. I prefer something legible, rather than a scan for nostalgia's sake. Can I use the text "as-is" to create a new manual, or is that in violation of some copyright laws (or other unknown violation)? If the permissions regarding a remake are questionable, I'll just leave it alone.

marko river
26-01-2011, 06:27 PM
It's not about permission, we like to supply original game as well as extras. Nostalgia as well as preservation. However, anything useful that you may create can be added too along with the original extra. That shouldn't be a problem if there is a need for it.

Ohne Mitleid
29-01-2011, 03:05 PM
It's not about permission, we like to supply original game as well as extras. Nostalgia as well as preservation. However, anything useful that you may create can be added too along with the original extra. That shouldn't be a problem if there is a need for it.
Okay, thank you. I've thought about this and there is really so much else I could be doing here that it seems I should probably direct my resources toward adding new things to the site.

Ohne Mitleid
29-01-2011, 03:18 PM
New cracked archive including newly created Zool 2 icon, Intro AVI with animations from full game, screenshots of all levels and finally, the review.

The review is formatted for Abandonia's formatting style so it should save any reviewers time since they won't have to deal with minor edits, mainly italics.

Next up: 1830 Railroads & Robber Barons
The review states:
The only bad thing about this game is the copy-protection. The readme claims you will only be asked the first time you play the game. This is not true. You will be asked twice every time you start a new game or load an existing one. The manual and codes can be found in the extras section and I suggest keeping it open in the background so you can easily find it when you need it.

I have cracked the EXE, but it's not exactly a "clean" copy-protection bypass. This just means you have to press ENTER through all of the protection prompts. This should still be preferable to having to look the codes up in the manual.

Now the question is what should I do with it? I don't know if you would want to include it in a new archive with an additional ReadMe.txt file explaining the game is cracked, if it should be placed in the Extras section, or if it is wanted at all. It would also change the nature of the Review (I think? :dunno:).

On to the next one...
Ohne

Dave
30-01-2011, 12:01 PM
We can always modify the "Notes" part of the review, many games we have on site are cracked to bypass the copyprotection and avoid the annoyance to people, so I think it's ok to add :)

Ohne Mitleid
31-01-2011, 02:51 AM
We can always modify the "Notes" part of the review, many games we have on site are cracked to bypass the copyprotection and avoid the annoyance to people, so I think it's ok to add :)
Archive (cracked) uploaded

Includes ReadMe.txt as follows:

Copy protection bypass:
The first time you play, you will be prompted to look up a word in the manual after the first round of stock purchasing is complete. Simply press ENTER to bypass all of the protection verification prompts.
The manual claims: (after verification)... you will never need to worry about copy protection again unless you copy the program to another machine or reinstall it.
After initial testing, this seemed to be the case.

Dave
31-01-2011, 11:51 AM
The archive has been substituted correctly and notes have been added to the review :)
Thank you very much!
(I've added PoEs manually because this isn't a real update ;))

Regarding Zool 2 we will probably prepare a full update for it since you have uploaded lot of (new) content :)

Ohne Mitleid
31-01-2011, 10:14 PM
1830 - That's cool!
Zool 2 should go through the same review process so Zool 2 is cool 2!

Thank you!

Dave
01-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Zool 2 is up too, take a look at the page and tell me if you feel satisfied :p
http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/67/Zool+2.html

DarthHelmet86
01-02-2011, 12:07 PM
Spotted an error in the spacing of one paragraph, fixed.

Dave
01-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Probably the .txt tricked me, if you see other just correct it or just tell me :OK:

Ohne Mitleid
01-02-2011, 03:49 PM
Probably the .txt tricked me, if you see other just correct it or just tell me :OK:
I don't understand the .txt reference, did I do something wrong?

It looks good and from what I have seen on the internet, the screens are at least more than level 1. I also uploaded a replacement (320x200) for Zool_1.jpg (mine is a png file). I didn't know you wanted to keep that particular screenshot. :doh:

Thank you Dave!
Thanks for the edit assist Darth!

DarthHelmet86
01-02-2011, 03:51 PM
He just meant when he copied it he made a mistake. You haven't done anything wrong don't worry. About the screenshot we normally only change screenshots when they are poor of the same thing over and over. Dave will let you know more specfics.

Dave
01-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Not a problem, it was my fault.
I just wanted to keep the screen with the female Zool, I've substituted it, thank you ;)

Ohne Mitleid
02-02-2011, 12:44 AM
Poor Zooz! I even played her and did screen captures of her for three of the six levels. Oh, wait a minute. You wanted to see a full frontal body shot. I understand. ;)

Dave
02-02-2011, 11:57 AM
You busted me! :ph34r:

The Fifth Horseman
06-02-2011, 11:02 AM
It seems your Zool 2 archive got misplaced somewhere. Could you please reupload it?

Dave
06-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Don't know what happened, I did all the tests and I have a backup, I'll upload it again.

[edit]Just repaired, let me know.

Ohne Mitleid
06-02-2011, 01:39 PM
I downloaded it, tested it (I didn't play the whole thing, just checked out the essentials) and it works.

I don't know if this fits into this site or if it is something anyone would want, but I'll offer anyway. I am creating icons for various games I am working on or have played in the past. They can be re-sized up to 256x256 and down to 32x32. I could have made them down to 16x16 but then they just become blobs of color. I don't know what other systems besides Win7 they work with.

To the point, look at the attached png and give me your thoughts. Thanks!

Dave
07-02-2011, 09:37 AM
They are nice, but we don't know how to use them at the moment. :)

The Fifth Horseman
07-02-2011, 11:26 AM
There are some things we could do in the future, though. :)

Dave
07-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Sure, the first thing that I have in mind is a dedicated page for "Most Downloaded Titles" or "Most Popular", we can think something.

Ohne Mitleid
08-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Uploaded:
Review (in Abandonia/cut-n-paste formatting), Screenshots, and Intro AVI. I also uploaded an Instructions PDF for the Extras section, that I wrote.

:smile2:

Paco
08-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Video belongs to Youtube Folder. so remember that for the next time. ^^

Ohne Mitleid
08-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Video belongs to Youtube Folder. so remember that for the next time. ^^
Do I upload the video to the YouTube folder? Do I create a YouTube folder within the game directory folder for the video?

I'm confused. I don't remember reading anything about this in any of the submissions posts, but that doesn't mean anything. I don't remember what I had for breakfast...

Any help would be appreciated. I am not trying to make things more difficult for anyone.

marko river
09-02-2011, 08:08 AM
You're not making it difficult. We will move the video, no big deal. There is folder named "_Youtube" on the FTP. Inside you'll find a folder with your name, and currently inside that folder are movies for Zool 2 and Cool World :)

So, if you wanna be extra kind, from now on you can upload videos directly in your folder in _Youtube folder :)

Dave
09-02-2011, 11:31 AM
Omega content on your PM inbox Ohne :OK:

Ohne Mitleid
09-02-2011, 01:29 PM
I have noted the instructions about the video upload. Thanks.

I'll look over the archive and finish the review as soon as possible. Thanks Dave!

edit: I don't believe there is going to be any way to play this game without the instruction and reference manuals that went along with the game. A .doc file is included in the archive, but it is very limited and deals mainly with game startup and control definitions.

Copies of the manual and reference documents are available on replacementdocs.com.

There is also a website that has the printed material available online in a hypertext linked format, which I found to be extremely helpful. This format allowed me to have both the easy-to-navigate reference material and the game up on the screen at the same time.

How would I go about working that into the review? Or is that something Abandonia has special rules about?

Please advise,
Thanks
Ohne

Ohne Mitleid
14-02-2011, 02:22 AM
You're not making it difficult. We will move the video, no big deal. There is folder named "_Youtube" on the FTP. Inside you'll find a folder with your name, and currently inside that folder are movies for Zool 2 and Cool World :)

So, if you wanna be extra kind, from now on you can upload videos directly in your folder in _Youtube folder :)

I tried to transfer the Omega Intro AVI.zip file to this _Youtube folder twice and I just keep getting a 'Critical file transfer error' message. I still have the file. Awaiting instructions.

Omega - review (formatted), intro avi (sitting on my hard drive), and screenshots. The archive from the link you PMed me for the game is fine.

I kept four of the original screenshots, resized and compressed them but also replaced some. You can take a look and let me know what you think.

See previous post for questions I had about the review. I put the hyperlinks in the review, but that can be altered.

marko river
14-02-2011, 11:26 AM
About AVI, just upload it in your folder on FTP then, (hopefully that's possible) and notify us and we'll take it from there. Although I don't see what could possibly go wrong... Did you tried to upload AVI in your folder inside _Youtube or in _Youtube itself?

As for links in review, I'm not sure about those. We would prefer to have someone submitting original manuals etc. I'm not sure about this... Let's see what others have to say.

Dave
14-02-2011, 11:31 AM
edit: I don't believe there is going to be any way to play this game without the instruction and reference manuals that went along with the game. A .doc file is included in the archive, but it is very limited and deals mainly with game startup and control definitions.

Copies of the manual and reference documents are available on replacementdocs.com.

There is also a website that has the printed material available online in a hypertext linked format, which I found to be extremely helpful. This format allowed me to have both the easy-to-navigate reference material and the game up on the screen at the same time.

How would I go about working that into the review? Or is that something Abandonia has special rules about?

Please advise,
Thanks
Ohne
Well, we can't add material taken from other sites without permission, it would be nice to get in contact with them.
Without an official permission we could just link to the site, not a great solution though.

I tried to transfer the Omega Intro AVI.zip file to this _Youtube folder twice and I just keep getting a 'Critical file transfer error' message. I still have the file. Awaiting instructions.
Sorry for the stupid question but have you uploaded it directly or moved it from your folder? Because the restricted permissions don't let you move files.
In any case if you can't do that just upload it in your folder, we will move it later :OK:

Omega - review (formatted), intro avi (sitting on my hard drive), and screenshots. The archive from the link you PMed me for the game is fine.

I kept four of the original screenshots, resized and compressed them but also replaced some. You can take a look and let me know what you think.

See previous post for questions I had about the review. I put the hyperlinks in the review, but that can be altered.

Checked the screens, all seems ok!
Thank you very much Ohne :)

Ohne Mitleid
14-02-2011, 05:11 PM
I uploaded the avi to the Ohne Mitleid folder. I have been trying to upload from my hard drive to the ftp site, not anything unusual.

It seems I don't have public write permissions for the _Youtube\Ohne Mitleid directory (numeric value 775) while I do for the other directory (numeric value 777).

It's unfortunate about the documentation, but this is seriously a game where you will not be able to play without it. Trust me, I tried.

Dave
16-02-2011, 09:27 AM
I should have solved the FTP permission problem, please keep me updated :)

It's unfortunate about the documentation, but this is seriously a game where you will not be able to play without it. Trust me, I tried.
Then if it's not playable we need to find a solution together, we could contact the site for permission or create new documentation.

I would like to try the other before doing the "upload it as it is" solution.

Send me the link or the content by pm, let's start with this :)

Ohne Mitleid
18-02-2011, 02:19 PM
I should have solved the FTP permission problem, please keep me updated :)
Well... now I can't login at all!XD Filezilla, I get a "Critical error! Can't login to server". That is too funny!

Then if it's not playable we need to find a solution together, we could contact the site for permission or create new documentation.

I would like to try the other before doing the "upload it as it is" solution.

Send me the link or the content by pm, let's start with this :)
I PMed you the links. I'll work on instructions of some sort.

DarthHelmet86
18-02-2011, 02:21 PM
That would be because we just had our passwords changed for the FTP. So the old one wont work any more.

Ohne Mitleid
18-02-2011, 02:31 PM
That would be because we just had our passwords changed for the FTP. So the old one wont work any more.
That would explain it then. :doh:

I guess I should work on supplying more material to post!

Ohne Mitleid
10-03-2011, 07:53 PM
The disk version (http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/3579/Dark+Legions.html) is not cracked. I have a cracked disk version which only requires your usual 'Enter' key press to bypass copy protection.

Ohne Mitleid
09-06-2011, 11:21 AM
The review for Jazz Jackrabbit is done. I also have the CD iso (55.6mb), source unknown. It offers installs in a bunch of different languages. The original shareware version has six levels. This one has all six and levels A, B, C, X and 2 bonus levels. Level X is a preview of Holiday Hare.

The problem I have with the CD version is the manual. The shareware manual is really well done, offering level and enemy descriptions. The CD version falls flat in that area.

I apologize for the delay in completing this. Even though my life may seem unremarkable to most, it does sometimes get in the way.