PDA

View Full Version : Which Os?

SixApes
21-01-2005, 10:47 PM
Just to feed the mysteries of my own mind.... What OS does everyone use? How many Systems do you have? Who built their own? C'mon people...... do some bragging..... :D

Kon-Tiki
21-01-2005, 10:55 PM
Assembled my comp, built the case for it (out of an old cabinet. Was too cheap to buy a case for it, and it didn't fit in any of those old 286 cases my kid bro had... PSU'd be blocking the heatsink in the biggest one). Running Win98SE on it and am happy with it. There's an old P1 that's ready on which I'll practice Linux after the exams. That one's assembled out of old parts, and due to the thing freezing during boot-up, I used a regular, black 80mmx80mm fan as heatsink, attached it to a rail above the CPU with some sisal rope :whistle:

MasterGrazzt
21-01-2005, 11:08 PM
OS/2 Warp.

LOL

mouse31e
21-01-2005, 11:17 PM
I didn't build my own computer though I had intended to. I ended up needing one in a hurry so I had to buy one! :angry:

Running Windows XP - which I have never had a problem with. I see so many people saying they hate it and it's rubbish but for me it's been better than win95, win98SE and Win2k, so I'm sticking with it. :D :D :D

I did install SuSe Linux (v9 I think) on my system as a second OS but accidentally wrote over the master boot record and ended up having to format the whole computer because I couldn't get into Windows. I did like it though and when I have the courage I will do it again, but without overwriting the boot record this time! :crazy: :blink:

xoopx
21-01-2005, 11:28 PM
i built my pc, and upgraded it a couple of times. gotta love the pc for being a 'big box you can shove different stuff into'

ive used a lot of computers, from 8bits upwards and a whoooole lot of OSes.
really, i dont have a loyalty as such. i just use which lets me use the most programs which is xp. this wont always be the case.. if i dont like the future windows, and people stop making stuff work on xp, i might go to another os.
i LOVED beos 4.5 . it was really nice. but no programs back in those days.
linux is too problematic. not that it isnt good, especially as its free (well, free and legit ;) )
amigados/workbench was quite good, but no memory protection = "oh i crashed again"
epoc32 / symbian (in my osaris pocket computer) is nice. never had any kind of crash.

MasterGrazzt
21-01-2005, 11:43 PM
I heard a rumour that Longhorn, the next iteration of Windows, will require you to have licenses for just about EVERYTHING on your computer.

If it's true, which is possible, some hackers will release a patch to spoof that "feature" quickly, so don't worry.

SixApes
21-01-2005, 11:49 PM
I enjoyed BeOS as welll..... its a shame the way it fizzled out. It reminded me, in many ways, of the Linux desktop and bash box. Like you said, however, few titles were produced that would acctually run on it......

My first system was a TI-98A. Loading games and progs with a data tape sucks.... but there were some fun titles! Three Lost Pirates...... that was a fun adventure.

I then upgraded to a C64. I found alot of likeness to the TI-98A....

Then my first dosbox found its way onto my desk...... love at first sight... :P

I loved DOS.... then WindowZ came along and cast an even greater spell over me....

The spell was broken shortly after XP was released. Please dont misunderstand... I have WinXP on my laptop, but it hasnt been booted for the better part of three months. Just cant find a reason too. I agree with xoopxs' philosophy, and choose to run what runs the most software for me. FC3.

feminista
22-01-2005, 12:32 AM
I'm a linux user at heart, Slackware specifically, but I don't use it primarily yet, because my hardware is pretty limited. My best machine is an oldish mac (G4, 466MHz), which I'm using right now. I love macs, and get frequently frustrated at stupid windows problems. My mac also happens to be customized, if you'll forgive the expression, up the arse, which means I often find myself frustrated using out-of-the-box macs that people haven't made the effort to 1337 out with all the woderful third-party software out there. So it's either highly customized mac, or non-RPM-based Linux (with Gnome and some terminal integration software).

But of course, you're probably wondering how I play DOS games. I've got a computer which I got for free, \m/ 450MHz Celeron \m/, which I added a bunch of RAM to to make it run XP and most of what I need it for. It won't run DOSBOX, really, but it can run most games with VDMSound, and I don't need to play too many newer games. It actually will run Ragnarok Online, amazingly, which was fun when a friend of mine ran a Vidar server. The server's pretty empty now though. Anyway, it does what it's designed to do, which is just run old stuff.

But in a year or two, I'll have a nice new compiling-oriented PC-compatible box running Slackware, and I'll be happy.

cheesegrater
22-01-2005, 02:42 AM
Heil Windows! *salutes*

John Watts
22-01-2005, 04:12 AM
Favourite OS: Mandrake linux 10, Windows Xp
Computers Built: Over 6

mika
22-01-2005, 05:08 AM
I put my comp together: 64bit 3Ghz AMD
I just love Windows and Microsoft so I'm running Win XP.

cheesegrater
22-01-2005, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by mika@Jan 22 2005, 01:08 AM
I put my comp together: 64bit 3Ghz AMD
I just love Windows and Microsoft so I'm running Win XP.
I envy you. What kind of vid card?

Rogue
22-01-2005, 05:27 AM
I used different operating systems....

basic (ZA Spectrum & C64)
amiga dos/workbench (from 1.3 - 3.9)
pc dos
windows (95, 98, NT, 2K, xp and all servers they had)
linux (redhat 5.2 to now, and some less known)
freebsd (great servers, used it on everything from P100 up to P4 2.4GHz)
AIX (IBM version of unix - installed on an old RS6000 server)
Amiga XL workbench (loads from CD, turns your pc in to amiga - great stuff)

I had another linux distribution that loads from CD, but can't remember what's the name.

FreeFreddy
22-01-2005, 07:47 AM
I was using only almost all of the Microsoft's OS's so far only.
Ms-Dos 5.0
Ms-Dos 6.22
Windows 3.11
Windows 95
Windows 98 SE
Windows XP
I still have all of them backed up on my CD's, but at the moment I only use Windows XP and Windows 98 SE on second partition. Though it's quite some time ago now that I used Windows 98 SE last time, since the discovery of DosBox here. :D

Reaper
22-01-2005, 07:51 AM
I hate Microsoft and Windows, but I'm forced into using it. I have Windows XP Professional for playing games, Mandrake 10.0 because Linux is best and Windows 98 in VMware for playing older windows games that just won't run in XP (somebody must make a "winbox" :) )

John Watts
22-01-2005, 07:54 AM
LOL

FreeFreddy
22-01-2005, 08:39 AM
What's so funny here? :huh:

mika
22-01-2005, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by cheesegrater@Jan 22 2005, 08:10 AM
What kind of vid card?
nVidia 6800. Pretty good card. It's nice to get into some money :D

Danny252
22-01-2005, 10:06 AM
Windows XP on both my comps here, both assembled by my dad. now with firefox!

Strobe
22-01-2005, 12:32 PM
i'm still trying to get along with my machine, which might be a little out-of-date
in comparison to today's progress of technology:

i'm running windows xp (which is suiting my needs very well, being easy to handle
and working stable and reliable) on a 1,4Ghz amd with 512mb ram, a asus v7100t
graphic card, 130gb harddisk space and a terratec 24/96 soundcard.

i often thought about upgrading my equipment, but up to now, any software i'm
using was satisfyingly functioning with my configuration, and as i'm lacking the
money to expand its efficiancy, i will stick to my system as it is, as long as possible.

xoopx
22-01-2005, 12:41 PM
hah you think your machine is out of date?

mine is 1.1 athlon and 256mb

i cant justify upgrading it, because like you say.. nothing really needs more power.

(apart from emulators, especially dosbox!)

a lot of people are keeping their machines with the same principle. its not like in the days where upgrading from a pentium 90 8bm to a pentium 400 64mb was a huge leap in performance... performance you noticed in all programs.

Kon-Tiki
22-01-2005, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by John Watts@Jan 22 2005, 06:12 AM
That for somebody that's almost 10... Impressive, very impressive :blink:

xoopx
22-01-2005, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Kon-Tiki+Jan 22 2005, 03:27 PM****</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kon-Tiki @ Jan 22 2005, 03:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> ******QuoteBegin-John Watts@Jan 22 2005, 06:12 AM
That for somebody that's almost 10... Impressive, very impressive :blink: [/b][/quote]
thats until you find out the first 5 caught fire

Kon-Tiki
22-01-2005, 02:42 PM
Hehehe, ATE/ATX mix-up (actually fried my old ATE PSU due to that... no more Quetzalcoatl, as that was the only ATE PSU with such plugs, the spare parts went into dad's comp to boost it up), or connecting some jumpers wrong? Oreh... no heatsink for an Athlon 2400 or Pentium 4? Accidentally spilled woodchips all over the mobo, then gave it power? None of those plastic feet, but the mobo directly attached against the metal? (Now THAT'd be just plain stupid :D ) So many ways to deepfry a comp due to bad assembly, you'd start to wonder.

xoopx
22-01-2005, 03:24 PM
hahahaahahahahah OK I ADMIT IT

my very first attempt at making a 486 pc i killed the onboard floppy controller by attaching the mobo to the case without using spacers (metal ones are ok, the actual pcb of the mobo doesnt conduct through them)

DOH OOOPS. DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

the only other thing ive killed was a cirrus logic vidcard, but that was a freak accident- somehow i shorted it from one of its own capacitors, or SOMETHING. never did figure it out. anyway the card made pretty patterns afterwards, and flickered.

when you consider how many times of put the heatsink on and off from durons/athlons and not killed them, i consider im doing well ;)

wormpaul
22-01-2005, 03:44 PM
What is OS?

Havell
22-01-2005, 03:45 PM
"Operating System", like Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.

Kon-Tiki
22-01-2005, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by xoopx@Jan 22 2005, 05:24 PM
hahahaahahahahah OK I ADMIT IT

my very first attempt at making a 486 pc i killed the onboard floppy controller by attaching the mobo to the case without using spacers (metal ones are ok, the actual pcb of the mobo doesnt conduct through them)

DOH OOOPS. DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! :wall:* :wall:* :wall:* :wall:
Been a bit sleepy or absent minded when you assembled it?

when you consider how many times of put the heatsink on and off from durons/athlons and not killed them, i consider im doing well ;)
My heatsink's running so slow you can actually see the blades. It's not really got a need to go any faster. One 92mmx92mm fan inhaling in front, two 80mmx80mm fans exhaling at the back (one right above the graph card, one focused on the mobo... the big one focused on the HD and cd-rom drive, but taking part of the mobo too. Thing sounds like a microwave, but it's cooled well. 35C for the CPU, 25C for the mobo, and that's with heatsink on easy roling. 's a Duron that's in there, so I suppose for your durons/athlons, you've got enough case-cooling already, that your heatsink's not really necessary either :ok:

xoopx
22-01-2005, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Kon-Tiki@Jan 22 2005, 05:10 PM
Been a bit sleepy or absent minded when you assembled it?
nope. just completely clueless!
id never actually built a pc from scratch before, and i was in a huge excited rush to throw it together. ah the imptuousness of youth...

Kon-Tiki
22-01-2005, 04:26 PM
That's how I fried that PSU. Didn't really know how to assemble a comp, just knew which parts were needed and used common sense for the rest. It didn't work at first, the PSU didn't even want to start, so I plugged my old one in, not knowing 'bout the difference between ATE and ATX. It didn't work either and I went to talk to my kid bro for a moment, until I heard something say PETS! and the smell of something burning coming from my room. I hurried over, pulled the plug on the PSU and was lucky enough it didn't damage the mobo.

wormpaul
22-01-2005, 04:48 PM
I got on my PC: Windows XP

And the best one so far:

Windows 95 (that was just good)

Danny252
22-01-2005, 05:03 PM
I have a 2.4 GHz processor and 1028 MB RAM.. dosbox runs like a charm here :P

Mucman
22-01-2005, 06:27 PM
FreeBSD user here... Have 8 machines at home running FreeBSD. I have built over 30 machines but I don't do it anymore. I can't keep up with what's going on in the hardware world and I wouldn't have a clue what the best bang for the buck components are anymore.

Danny252
22-01-2005, 10:26 PM
8??!! what do you possibly use them ALL for?

SixApes
22-01-2005, 11:01 PM
REAPER
I hate Microsoft and Windows, but I'm forced into using it. I have Windows XP Professional for playing games, Mandrake 10.0 because Linux is best and Windows 98 in VMware for playing older windows games that just won't run in XP (somebody must make a "winbox"

They do have a winbox.... its called Cedega. It runs everything flawlessly with minor hacks to the master config file. Even runs Morrowind. with no loss of framerate. :)

Reaper
23-01-2005, 01:01 PM
I have cedega (ex-winex), but i meant a winbox that would run in Windows XP. Cedega is for linux only.

quatroking
23-01-2005, 01:24 PM
I have Windows ME, it play really good dosgames.(exept Commander Keen)

WINDOWSI 98 ISI DA BESTI!
(Stopid italisch guy next me)

Mucman
23-01-2005, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Danny252@Jan 22 2005, 11:26 PM
8??!! what do you possibly use them ALL for?
4 Servers (http://muc-central.com/albums/homedec2004/servers.sized.jpg)
Top Right = Firewall/NAT
Bottom Left = NFS/DHCP/DNS (200GB of storage for backups/home directories/10,000 mp3s)
Top Left = DNS ( for redundancy)
Bottom Right = Web server

Music Player Daemon (http://muc-central.com/albums/homedec2004/livingroom1.sized.jpg)
This machine is located in a closet to the right of the entrance. It outputs the audio to the speakers that
are mounted near the ceiling. The machine is controlled by a web interface located on the web server.
The web interface controls a process called MPD which loads mp3s off of the file server and plays them.
I can control the music from any machine at with a web browser at home.

I have two laptops. One is a Dell 600m which is my main workstation. The other is an old IBM P100 which
I use to play old DOS games, and control the music server. Both laptops connect using 802.11b.

Lastly I have about 5-6 extra machines. One I am using to play with MythTV, and another is a test computer for OpenBSD 3.6 to replace my current router box.

So as you can see... I only directly interact with 2 of those machines.

Rogue
24-01-2005, 12:20 AM
Can you tell me more about that Music Player Daemon??

I have couple of computers that I might use for simillar thing. I also like to do simillar thing you have done.

Do you more preffer OpenBSD over FreeBSD? :blink:

Mucman
24-01-2005, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by Anubis@Jan 24 2005, 01:20 AM
Can you tell me more about that Music Player Daemon??

I have couple of computers that I might use for simillar thing. I also like to do simillar thing you have done.

Do you more preffer OpenBSD over FreeBSD? :blink:
Here's and article I wrote (http://muc-central.com/articles/index.php?file=FreeBSD%20Jukebox), but it's a little outdated now. It's all in the ports tree under musicpd (http://www.freshports.org/audio/musicpd/). The Official Website (http://www.musicpd.org/info.shtml) will probably explains things better than I can.

The essence of MPD is that it is a process that can be controlled remotely to play music. Configuration of it was telling it where your files are located ('/mnt/mp3' in my case), and that's about it! It indexes all of your music and it is ready to handle requests. That's where the php web interface comes in. Instead of telnetting to the box it is much nicer to use a GUI (especially when guests want to play with it). I am currently using phpmp and it handles everything nicely. The web server can obviouslly run on the same box as MPD, but I have things seperated just for experience purposes.

And about BSD... I like all the BSDs. I use FreeBSD because it's a little more leading edge with newer hardware support. I like OpenBSD for firewalls and servers where security matters above all else. NetBSD is something I have just recently tried out and I love it for its clean design but I don't know much about it yet.

Hope that helps!

Rogue
24-01-2005, 08:14 PM
I like all BSDs too, but mostly I use FreeBSD.

Nice article. I should set up one of my old computers to do this. Can you make screen shot of web interface?

Mucman
24-01-2005, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Anubis@Jan 24 2005, 09:14 PM
I like all BSDs too, but mostly I use FreeBSD.

Nice article. I should set up one of my old computers to do this. Can you make screen shot of web interface?
Screenshot of phpmp (http://muc-central.com/albums/screenshots/phpmp.png). It's not the prettiest interface in the world but it works well and it is easy to use. I much prefer simplicity than overly complex but "pretty" interfaces.

There's a new version (http://musicpd.org/phpMp2.shtml) out but I haven't tried it yet. It looks like it pretty much does the same thing but has a few new features.

I might take a crack at writing my own web interface if I get some time.

Also I should add that my MPD machine runs diskless! My file server contains the root FS on an NFS share and the kernel in a TFTP root. This means that the MPD box is extremely quiet. You definitely don't need anything fancy for this task... I believe a P100 would handle it just fine.

Good luck!

Ioncannon
24-01-2005, 11:46 PM
I have 3 main pcs I use.

Pentium 1: MS-DOS 6.22/Win3.11

Pentium 4: Windows XP: Home with SP2 (uses Virtual PC to test other os)
1.5 GHz
512 Mb Ram
Radeon 9600 PRO
40 GB HDD (corrupts a few times)

G3 PowerPC Macintosh: Mac OS 9.1 (Tryin to get X on there)
64 MB RAM
2GB HDD

Other PCs (There in my basment or I don't use em much)
-6100 PowerPC Macintosh: Mac OS 9
-(don't know cpu or model) Quadra Macintosh: Mac OS 7.5
-P1 IBM Aptiva: Win 95
2GB HDD
32mb ram
-P1 Laptop: Win 98 SE
32 mb ram
2GB HDD
-Commodore 64 (is that even worth calling a PC? LOL)
Out of Service (need diff parts)

Ioncannon
24-01-2005, 11:51 PM
btw Reaper you play Theif? Awsome game love the Shalebridge Cradel... its really.....spokky :ph34r: Thief 1 was the best.

Ferna182
02-02-2005, 03:34 AM
I hate microsoft.... but..... i use Windows XP SP2 ONLY because the games require a microsoft OS ....... just because of that.... but the OS i use to work it's Slackware Linux 10....

Ferna182
02-02-2005, 03:36 AM
my pc it a cheap Intel Celeron 1.7 GHz, 256 Mb ram ddr 333, a Biostar u 8668 d motherboard, and a TNT2 PCI 32mb vid card..... but i will upgrade soon :P ....

hardware is REALLY expensive nowdays in argentina :'(

Patooti
08-02-2005, 11:53 AM
I have a pc with dual-boot Win XP Professional and Debian Linux unstable.. primarily used debian for general purpose, programming and surfing the torrential winds of the internet :D and xp professional for uh... stuff and gaming :D

Also have an older PC with ye olde win98se installed.. oh and I'm on a personal vendetta against the dreaded :sniper: win ME which I might humbly add is the worst thing that happened since uh... sliced bread?

Ferna182
14-02-2005, 02:36 PM
o i forgot about the os hhehehe

first of all... microsoft: SUCK MY behind!!! m$ sucks..... but i use win xp just because almost every game i like it's made for windows ....

the OS i like most is: Mandrake Linux