PDA

View Full Version : Blue screen of death...

Kuisoon11
16-08-2010, 05:16 AM
*sigh* oh computer how I hate you.. So reading from my other thread I new I had to do another hijack this scan, but I decided to put it off and run a scan from a new virus scanner I had first. The scanner quarinined a virus and so I left it at that because I had to go to work so I thought I would post my new hijack this log when I got home...

big mistake...

So I come home and turn on my computer, the computer turns on and starts loading windows... then it starts loading again... and again.. and again... I figured I should start it in safe mode so I pressed the button and up came the blue screen. The message read something like this "STOP: C0000135 {Unable to locate component} This application has failed to start because User32.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem"

So now I'm stuck unable to start my computer. I know there must be a way to fix it so says http://www.inanis.net/blog/index.php/2008/06/14/malware-removal-causes-stop-c0000125/ and various forums that I've read but I'm not sure how to do it. Could anyone give me a step to step procedure to either load a new User32.dll back onto my computer or re locate the one on mine. (p.s. I'm on my dads computer right now.)
Needless to say when this is done I'm getting a new computer, this one is a lost cause.

_r.u.s.s.
16-08-2010, 07:41 AM
well, do you have an access to other windows computer? you will need to just extract that file which they mentioned

you have more options:
1) if you're not a total beginner in pc hardware the fastest way would be to simply unplug and plug the hdd into the other pc.. considering they have the same cable connectors of course. if you never did this before: do NOT unplug/plug anything while pc is running. i saw really stupid people getting owned by this

2) the noob friendly way: get some live OS cd, like live ubuntu (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD) or knoppix (http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html). all you do is insert cd while your pc starts up and then it boots you into the live os (no need to install anything)

after you do any of these things, just simply copy paste the "system" file from c:\windows\system32\ from your broken system hard drive, like it says so in the tutorial, then bring this system file to other system on any usb (or do it straight in the system if you plugged the hdd into other computer) and follow further instructions in the tutorial

..of course, if you believe that the tutorial is right

after you're done, put the updated sysem file back into the old machine with the same method as how you extracted it

Kuisoon11
16-08-2010, 02:40 PM
does ubuntu or either of those programs get rid of the files on my computer? Because once I can get back to the desktop screen the only thing I really want to do is grab the important files I need and copy them on to my external harddrive. I don't want to risk running these programs until I know for sure all my old files will stil be there ^^;

The Fifth Horseman
16-08-2010, 05:12 PM
does ubuntu or either of those programs get rid of the files on my computer?
Not unless you attempt to install them to the hard drive instead of running them from CD's.
"Live" distributions of Linux are runnable from the CD (or DVD) without being installed to your hard drive.

I used one for a similar purpose a few years back when I managed to accidentally delete a critical file from my system.
Because once I can get back to the desktop screen the only thing I really want to do is grab the important files I need and copy them on to my external harddrive.Do that, and once you've copied these files you might just as well try this:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1050842
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747

If your machine won't get into console mode, dig out the installation disc, use it to run a recovery console (NOT System Restore), and do the same thing as above.

Kuisoon11
16-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Soo... *sigh* I downloaded ubuntu onto my usb device.. I plugged it into my broken computer, tried to run the start up from it but it said I was unable to. I'm so lost this is all so confusing :(

The Fifth Horseman
16-08-2010, 09:26 PM
It's not just Ubuntu. You need a live distribution of it - and then one that works off the specific type removable media. Which is why we suggested ones that use optical disks.

Kuisoon11
17-08-2010, 02:30 AM
I went to the links you gave me and downloaded the live versions like you said.. I must have done something wrong.. maybe I should try the other one.

Kuisoon11
17-08-2010, 05:09 AM
okay so I downloaded slax and it loads! But now I'm afraid which option to pick because I'm really afraid of doing something to loose my files, can someone ensure me about which is the safest option to run? uhmm theres:
slax graphics mode (kde)
Slax Always fresh
Slax graphics vesa mode
Slax Text mode and
Slax as PXE server
oh and Run Memtest utility

The Fifth Horseman
17-08-2010, 10:59 AM
The first three are simply different graphic modes.
Fourth would send you to the Linux equivalent of a command prompt (not a good idea for beginners).
No idea about the fifth one.
Sixth would run an utility that tests your machine's random access memory for errors.

Kuisoon11
17-08-2010, 02:28 PM
So none of them will delete my files?

dosraider
17-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Ask someone to download and burn this one:
http://www.free-av.com/en/products/12/avira_antivir_rescue_system.html
Run it on your PC, check EVERYTHING (including archived files, cookies, ahwell, everything). It's pretty self explaining and easy to use.

Nothing will be installed on your PC. It runs completely from the CD and it is kept up to date.

BTW, it will be needless to clean up your system if you stick in an infected USB key, self burned CD, or run whatever program that's infected, you'll go in no time back to square one and will have an infected and screwed up system again.

And stay away from those pron sites.

_r.u.s.s.
18-08-2010, 02:31 AM
if you want to just grab the files on the slax, pick kde. it's a noob friendly gui

Kuisoon11
18-08-2010, 02:46 AM
Alright, I got my files, got a new computer we're all good. Thanks guys I couldn't have done it without you all :)

_r.u.s.s.
18-08-2010, 02:54 AM
you got a new computer?? because of a virus? woah man

what happened to the old computer?

Kuisoon11
29-08-2010, 03:34 PM
you got a new computer?? because of a virus? woah man

what happened to the old computer?
My brother in law is formatting it and we're selling it, this computer (the one I'm using) was one of my brothers, it has uber amounts of ram which I needed for my art programs and such so he sold it to me and ya haha