PDA

View Full Version : Necromancing your old joystick? research well...

Juanca
30-06-2010, 02:15 AM
Hi,

I tried to revive my old Sidewinder joy pad and joystick with a the belkin 15pin to usb adaptor. and didn't work!!!!!
I chose that adaptor because it was the cheapest option (5 bucks only) :doh:. Then I came to know that this adaptor won't work for joysticks, actually my computer doesn't even recognize that it is connected. Did some research and actually you will need another kind of adaptor that costs around 17 dollars.

The thing is that a new gamepad, usb ready, plug and play compatible with all, etc... costs around the same or even less....

So think again if you are planning to respawn your old joystick. the other option is to find the right card to plug the joysticks to your computer....:idea:

_r.u.s.s.
30-06-2010, 10:58 AM
well if you mean same adapter as i do, you can use it for more things
from joysticks through christmas trees to your old nintendo. they sell the kind where you can switch voltages

but i'm not sure if you mean the same thing (http://www.americanweigh.com/images/amw13_adapter.jpg) =S probably not, my english sucks in this

GTX2GvO
30-06-2010, 11:09 AM
well if you mean same adapter as i do, you can use it for more things
from joysticks through christmas trees to your old nintendo. they sell the kind where you can switch voltages

but i'm not sure if you mean the same thing (http://www.americanweigh.com/images/amw13_adapter.jpg) =S probably not, my english sucks in this

I think he means this (http://www.sdatrading.com/img/products/358.jpg). :D

I tried to revive my old Sidewinder joy pad and joystick with a the belkin 15pin to usb adaptor.

Juanca
01-07-2010, 08:23 AM
As allways R.u.s.s was "high" when he read this post... and Gtx2gvo, thanks for explaining, you are right. That's the adaptor *^_^

KrazeeXXL
30-08-2010, 08:02 PM
recently dedusted my old Sidewinder 3D Pro. have an old creative 5.1 live! whose drivers (whatever ver) really suck but at least the joystick works fine with it.

so in your case it might be an idea to get some old soundcard but better switch to some new usb tech.

after thousands of battles the main button of my sidewinder isn't the same. tried to repair it but have to replace that switch to get it properly working again.

also the (ingame) calibration was the hell with this thing (took at least 5 mins). I played TIE-Fighter collectors CD.

I like this joystick. it had a better quality then 5 wingman extreme added together which each only lasted for half a year but I guess now its time for something new. There's cool tech out there which you also could use with dosbox :) (emulate ch or tm or whatever ^^)

to invest in something old... ok we both know its just for nostalgic reasons and I do understand that. but is it worth it? this you have to ask 'n answer to yourself.

Thomme
31-08-2010, 09:11 PM
Honestly, I went through the whole shebang to get my old F-15 stick working again on my P4 system. I Think it was a suncom model. Well, I went through all the trouble and when I upgraded to a Quad Core, I didn't even bother with the new MOBO to try and get the joystick working. I bought a "cheap" Saitek Aviator for around $17 and was greatly pleased. The additional buttons and throttle controls more than made up for the difference in the feel of the stick, plus the "rotation" axis allows analog rudder control, it made X-wing much more enjoyable.

If you want a REALLY good joystick setup: check out their X-52 setup.