PDA

View Full Version : Dosbox - Wishlist

Rogue
18-01-2005, 02:35 PM
I am using couple of emulators (closer would be to say I tried most of known emulators :D), and question would be, what do you guys would like to see in the DOSBox, that has not been yet implemented.

I am not sure if Data can contact DOSBox team and if this topic can make any changes in DOSBox, but it would be nice to see what sort of ideas we have.

Couple of things I would like to see:

- save state (being able to save state, and then to load and play from that spot)

- emulate modem over network (there is something in DOSBOx right now, it would be nice to see if that can do it, and if is possible to have game play over network)

- some sort of the menu, similar to WinUAE, where you can easy set up different configurations

- better speed control. some way to say that computer is for example emulating 486 @ 33MHz.

Eagle of Fire
18-01-2005, 02:45 PM
Moved since this topic has nothing to do with troubleshooting.

Rogue
18-01-2005, 02:51 PM
Thanks,

nothing to add to list?

Eagle of Fire
18-01-2005, 03:15 PM
I'm a simple person Anubis. I use DOSBox because it allows me to play flawlessly those old DOS games I like to play. So, as long as it works the way it is I'm very happy on the product.

I can easily tell you that I would never use any of the "upgrades" you mentioned. The modem thing would be interesting, but what I would want to see is a TCP/IP convertion of the modem, not a modem emulation by itself. And even then I would probably not use it more than once a year, which is about pointless for me.

JJXB
18-01-2005, 03:23 PM
i want 1 thing from it: REDUCED REQUIREMENTS TO RUN AT GOOD SPEED.

Rogue
18-01-2005, 03:42 PM
EOF,
I was thinking about emulation of modem, as most of old games are made for modem multiplayer, and if emulated, your program would dial, but it still all will happen over TCP/IP network.

JJXB,
protected games take a lot of CPU to play, I agree. Still much better then old version without it.

xoopx
18-01-2005, 03:52 PM
im pretty sure apart from improvements to the dynamic core's speed, its a lot more likely for the cpu demand of dosbox to increase as new versions come.
heh savestates. not as easy as people think for this hardware.
d-fend is a better way of answering the 'menu' wishlist. dont forget that dosbox is meant to be easily portable to other systems, so moving it away from a command line program just makes it harder for people to port.

ehh anyway this post is probably redundant because dosbox has a forum (at vogons) and there is a big thread regarding wishlist for dosbox there already, with answers from the dosbox team in it.

Rogue
19-01-2005, 03:57 PM
DFend is great front end, but not all users know how to use it. I'm creating addition to basic DOSBox tutorial which should help with installation and use of DOSBox and DFend.

I'm thinking what would take to create DOS GameBase. :)

Danny252
19-01-2005, 04:02 PM
meh plain dosbox is so simple. why need anything else for it?

Rogue
19-01-2005, 04:05 PM
Have you ever use GameBase danny?

Danny252
19-01-2005, 04:07 PM
whatbase?

Rogue
19-01-2005, 04:15 PM
GameBase (http://www.bu22.com/) danny.

It's nice way to catalog all these old games, and to be able to see screenshots before playing game, and/or hear what it sounds like. Also included all info for games.

I know that ST database is extracting zip files as HD image and using it to run the game. I believe same is possible with DOS games, and DOSBox.

xoopx
19-01-2005, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Danny252@Jan 19 2005, 05:02 PM
meh plain dosbox is so simple. why need anything else for it?
some games i have fullscreen, some i have windowed, with different levels of hardware stretch, some have pc speaker some dont, some need different cycle rates.
its just easier and faster to configure those different things on a per-game basis with d-fend

Rogue
19-01-2005, 04:46 PM
And add to all that that you only one mouse click away of running game. :D

Danny252
19-01-2005, 07:15 PM
meh. dosbox is cool tho. I do have dfend somewhere.. I think..

Data
19-01-2005, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by JJXB@Jan 18 2005, 05:23 PM
how about getting a faster pc ;)
you're using an emulator not a virtualizer. :)
if you want a virtualizer try virtual PC

JJXB
19-01-2005, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Data+Jan 19 2005, 08:52 PM****</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Data @ Jan 19 2005, 08:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> ******QuoteBegin-JJXB@Jan 18 2005, 05:23 PM
you're using an emulator not a virtualizer. :)
if you want a virtualizer try virtual PC [/b][/quote]
faster pc=impossible due to nada money. and im not looking for a "virtualizer" as i alredy have one (VMWare) but it doesn't always work with games. anyway, i am not willing to sacrifice my current (working) windows setup to play dos games only due to the fact i have gone through all that crap before and i don't want to go through it again.

xoopx
19-01-2005, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Data@Jan 19 2005, 08:52 PM

LOL OR buy an dirt cheap ancient 486 with soundblaster, s3 videocard etc instead of a really fast one to run dosbox ;)

Fawfulhasfury
19-01-2005, 11:57 PM
I want it to be able to run Ace Ventura and Koala Lumpur without bugs.