PDA

View Full Version : Question about running Conqueror 1086 on dosbox

Xzorsh
18-04-2010, 12:07 AM
Hello. I was reading an old thread on running Conqueror 1086, and I've followed the advice on setting up on mounting a virtual drive and creating an ISO, and yet when I run it, I still get an error message saying "Not enough memory to load gob or file not found. Aborting."

Does anyone know what that means or how to work around it?

Thanks. :)

_r.u.s.s.
18-04-2010, 01:41 AM
well, if you say that you've done everything correctly and it doesn't work it's difficult to even try to help

write where is your image located, where you tried to install it, your mount lines, etc..

Xzorsh
18-04-2010, 09:32 PM
well, if you say that you've done everything correctly and it doesn't work it's difficult to even try to help

write where is your image located, where you tried to install it, your mount lines, etc..

Sorry.

For starters, I confess I'm a newb when it comes to both DosBox and ISOs, so I apologize if I've done anything that seems stupid.

Alright let's start from the beginning:

I install Conqueror, have trouble installing it (I get a divide by zero error when I try to test the hard drive, so I skipped the step), and then when it does install it doesn't load. Or at the very least it starts playing music but displays a black screen.

So I try VDMsound which makes the problem even worse. I then decide to give DosBox a try.

I then read this tutorial and mirrored it for my own situation. http://www.classicdosgames.com/tutorials/dosbox.html

I went through the whole process of mounting a drive that has the location of my game, and I still would not be able to run it due to the "not enough gob memory" error.

I then read a thread on this forum about ISOs for Conqueror, and surmised that I needed an ISO.

So here's the final steps I carried out:

The Conqueror ISO is located in my D drive, under DOSgames.

So this would be the location in windows: D:\DOSgames

I created a Conqueror ISO file out of the Conqueror file, I then used VirtualCloneDrive to set it as the F drive (imaginary dvd drive).

I then go to DosBox and write the following:

mount d "d:\DOSgames"

//Drive D is mounted as local directory d:\DOSgames\

imgmount f "D:\Conquer.iso" -t iso

//MSCDEX installed
//Drive F is mounted as d:\DOSgames\Conquer.iso

f:
Ok here is where I'm stuck. Last night I thought I was able to mount the f drive where the iso image is set up, and get the error message. However I can't recall what I did to get the Iso to actually run.

I type conquer and conquer.iso and get an illegal command. So I switch to d: where my game is located, then type cd conquer. I then type Conquer and the game tries to run, and I get the error saying "Not enough gob memory. Aborting".

Any help will be appreciated. :)

_r.u.s.s.
18-04-2010, 10:34 PM
wait wait wait, you "created a Conqueror ISO file out of the Conqueror file"? what "conqueror file"? where did you get it? the file you're working with is supposed to be already an iso, you are not supposed to make iso of anything

Xzorsh
18-04-2010, 11:06 PM
wait wait wait, you "created a Conqueror ISO file out of the Conqueror file"? what "conqueror file"? where did you get it? the file you're working with is supposed to be already an iso, you are not supposed to make iso of anything

No, I have an actual cd. For whatever reason, I can't get the game to run. I assumed that maybe an ISO would work, judging by what I read in the older thread. I wasn't 100 percent positive since it was an older thread and I didn't want to necro. So I went ahead with making an ISO, thinking maybe that a virtual drive would help the game load.

I'm guessing that it's not necessary.

So back to the basics. Ignore the ISO steps.

mount d d:\DOSgames\Conquer

\\Drive D is mounted as local directory d:\DOSgames\Conquer

d:

Conquer

\\ERROR: Not Enough Memory to load Gob or file not found. Aborting..

_r.u.s.s.
18-04-2010, 11:19 PM
oh okay, let me try to help you out with the actual cd, that's even better!

considering that you have the game cd in your cd-rom drive (E: ?) and your dosgames are inside D:\DOSgames, you shall do this:

uinstall the game in d:\dosgames\conqueror..., delete the directory too

mount c d:\DOSgames (this will tell dosbox to think that d:\dosgames is a c:\)
mount d e:\ -t cdrom (this will mount your cd in E: as D: drive for dosbox)

now you need to install the game from inside the dosbox, so type
d:\ (to change into the d:\ drive)

now i don't know how exactly is the install file called like, maybe install.bat? or maybe setup.exe?
so in case the install file is called install.bat, run install.bat and install it...
but when it asks for a directory where you want to install the game in the installation you must input c:\conquer!, NOT d:\dosgames\conquer, because your d:\dosgames is now mounted as c:\ drive

now that the game is installed type:
c:\
cd conquer
conquer.bat (at least i think that's how the excutable is called like)

last note: if the sound doesn't work, edit the conquer.ini file, or manually input the values inside config.bat as it is show in this post (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showpost.php?p=342441&postcount=5)

Xzorsh
19-04-2010, 01:19 AM
r.u.s.s. you are awesome!

I managed to install it, but then I quit the program so that I could change the sound. Now I'm trying to run it again.

I assume I have to do the following to get back to the game:

mount c d:\DOSgames

c:

cd conquer

I then type dir to see the files, and I can see CONQUER BAT, except when I type
Conquer.BAT it says illegal command.

At any rate, thanks for the help you've already given me. At the very least I know how to install the game. :)

The Fifth Horseman
19-04-2010, 04:19 AM
I can see CONQUER BAT, except when I type Conquer.BAT it says illegal command.Almost certainly you made an accidental typo and didn't realise it. But just to make sure...

Type the following commands:
dir *.exe
dir *.com
dir *.bat
To see a list of runnable files in the current directory.

Also don't forget DOSBox offers autocompletion of directory and file names when changing directories or running files (default key: TAB).

_r.u.s.s.
19-04-2010, 07:20 AM
r.u.s.s. you are awesome!

I managed to install it, but then I quit the program so that I could change the sound. Now I'm trying to run it again.

I assume I have to do the following to get back to the game:

mount c d:\DOSgames

c:

cd conquer

I then type dir to see the files, and I can see CONQUER BAT, except when I type
Conquer.BAT it says illegal command.

At any rate, thanks for the help you've already given me. At the very least I know how to install the game. :) you need to remount your cdrom drive too, so

mount d e:\ -t cdrom

after that go
c:
cd conquer
conquer.bat

Xzorsh
19-04-2010, 12:49 PM
You guys are awesome. Thank you so much! ^_^

I think I've gleaned a little bit about DosBox as well. >.>