PDA

View Full Version : Bogged down pc

Fubb
16-04-2010, 01:41 AM
There is NOTHING that makes me more angry then when my pc gets 'bogged down' so to say, in which it goes slow, e.g you

tough start menu.

it takes like 7 seconds for the menu to open up, and a further more few seconds until the buttons can be clicked. Then when the 'all programs' becomes highlighted, it opens and then it lags somemore as the list appears, then the list DISSAPEARS, so you yell vulgar terms at your cat, then try it again, only now anything in the tray is now also unresponsive. If you try closing a program you mine aswell run for president cause it could be done just as FAST! Lag!

im fucking PISSED outta my mind right now cause it's bogging down, im uninstalling things and all that and it's still going as slow as your mom was last night!

ANYWAYS now time to try and be reasonable with the pc.

I alt tabbed and checked my CPU process which is at 54%, and one of the processes is called RTHDCPL.exe, and it's using quite a bit of memory, anything weird sounding about that process?

I also ran a virus scan and only found a tracking cookie, but the thing is its only the start menu and tray that's going slow, everything else seems to be fine, but still it is FUCKING annoying having to wait for the menu to compose it'self! Is there something wrong with explorer.exe or something?

Eagle of Fire
16-04-2010, 02:34 AM
Type RTHDCPL.exe in google.

You'll know.

Fubb
16-04-2010, 03:03 AM
:oh:

Fubb
16-04-2010, 03:05 AM
Anyways, it appears it's only the little task bar menu thingies (the blue bar at the bottom of the screen, i call it the 'tray' im not actually sure what everyone calls it) is the thing lagging, all games and stuff seems to be going fine...

The Fifth Horseman
16-04-2010, 04:33 AM
That EXE is the "Realtek HD Audio Sound Effect Manager". Shouldn't be doing this, so you probably have a driver conflict somewhere. Disable its automatic launch on system startup.

Japo
16-04-2010, 07:18 PM
That process (acronym for RealTek High Definition Control PaneL) is responsible for the tray icon resembling a brown speaker (last version I saw of it). 90 per cent or more of the things you can configure there can be configured elsewhere in the Windows Control Panel etc., so you don't really need it and can erase it from startup as Horseman says. However he's also right that it shouldn't be causing these problems, so you should try to solve them even if you get rid of that process and no other symptoms show.

Can you hear sound all right? I think that if the problem was at the driver level it wouldn't affect a single process that can be terminated, but the whole system, and you would even experience BSODs probably.

First of all I'd try un-installing any Realtek software (not drivers) from the control panel > programs. Anything there will be accessory utilities like RTHDCPL, but if you still want them try re-installing them and see if they don't misbehave again.

Regarding drivers, if no errors show in my computer > manage > device manager (right-click on the sound devices and see if the status is OK), and you experience no Windows crashes (i.e. it's only a single process that you're able to terminate), your drivers are probably fine. Do however run Windows Update and see if there's any optional hardware upgrade related to sound.

Fubb
16-04-2010, 09:05 PM
No the Realtek isn't the PROBLEM, i just thought it was suspicious cause i never noticed that process before :mhh:

but yea, it's working now, i think it was just because i had been playing Arsenal of Democracy all evening and my pc had had enough! Start menu's back to it's normal fastness

_r.u.s.s.
16-04-2010, 10:58 PM
...you created a "my windoze is slow" topic before actually restarting your pc?

damn it fubb, slap yourself

Fubb
17-04-2010, 07:57 PM
*bam*

Yea i know, that was kinda lame of me in hindsight LOL