PDA

View Full Version : Gravis Advanced Joystick installation - How?

TheChosen
27-03-2010, 01:14 AM
So couple of years ago I managed to find this old Gravis Advanced Joystick, a 3 button thingie which is said to be at its time one of the best. Although I managed to find this from a dumpster (dont ask), it worked perfectly, and thanks to it I managed to finish Tie Fighter back then.

But that was different computer. Now, its time for finally make it work on my newish XP monster machine. And thats where I need help.

There is a midi/HID/game port in my computer where the plug fits. My computer does seem to detect it as it lists it in the bottom of the controller list when adding a new one, but then I need drivers.

Now, as normally when installing something, it asks for files from xp disc. Its out of the question for now so off to internet. After couple of hours of scouting I end up finding that all my possible sources lead to the Microsoft update site, which doesnt give a crap about my joystick problems, even after I used Internet Exporer like it asked. They dont seem to have my file, and everyone else still links to there.

So yeah, Im being little vague, but bottom line is this: I need to find drivers for something called "Two 2-axis, 2-button joysticks on Y-connector", aka Advanced Gravis Joystick, like the one in the picture

http://www.pelikonepeijoonit.net/kuvat/j_gravis.jpg

Help me

Scatty
27-03-2010, 07:29 AM
"In order to operate it under Windows 95/98 You need to install a new game device using the predefined one called "CH Flightstick Pro" and do the callibration procedure of this including "olio hat". Otherwhise not all 4 buttons do work. A windows driver by gravis does not really exist. So one has to use the said one from CH."Maybe this quoted reply will help you a bit. There's also a driver for Advanced Gravis Firebird 2 for download, though it's for a different and apparently superior joystick.
Source (http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=279)

WillCall
28-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Have you tried to add it in the game controller option on the control pannel and when it installs hardware just select automatically install hardware, you do not neccecarily need to insert a disk.