PDA

View Full Version : Problem with XP

SkiFree
13-03-2010, 01:51 AM
I have had this problem for a long time now and would really like to know if there's a simple fix for it.

Every time I try to run a DOS-related program, after a few seconds, it will minimize itself. It's not like it just minimizes, though, it'll actually just go to the desktop, then a blank windowed DOS window will appear, and then that will minimize and go back to my desktop. It's hard to explain, so here's a screenshot of it in action:

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/326/dos.png

Every time I bring the program back up, this happens, and I can't seem to run it in windowed mode. It seems like some other program is interrupting it or something, but I can run regular PC games full-screen with no problems at all. Generally I've just ran the games in DOSBox as a substitute, but this one game in particular has messed up controls in that, so I'd like to try running it normally through XP before I go finding a fix. The few seconds the games are up, they seem to be running perfectly, with all the graphics and sounds playing normally, so if it just didn't minimize I imagine the games would run fluently.

Thanks for any help.

Geezer
13-03-2010, 02:37 AM
Generally you can't run DOS programs under Win XP. Very few will run correctly if at all. Windows XP does not give DOS access to the things it needs to function. Best stick with DOSBox and figure out the control problems or try VDMSound.

_r.u.s.s.
13-03-2010, 10:40 AM
Every time I bring the program back up, this happens, and I can't seem to run it in windowed mode. It seems like some other program is interrupting it or something, but I can run regular PC games full-screen with no problems at all. Generally I've just ran the games in DOSBox as a substitute, but this one game in particular has messed up controls in that, so I'd like to try running it normally through XP before I go finding a fix. The few seconds the games are up, they seem to be running perfectly, with all the graphics and sounds playing normally, so if it just didn't minimize I imagine the games would run fluently.as you've seen, you cannot run dos games in windowed mode on xp, so if it keeps minimizing (i don't know why) you will have to run it in dosbox. maybe it minimizes because of your antivirus or some other program that triggers right after an application is ran? did you try kill as many useless processes possible and then running it?

by the way, are your controllers on a game messed up with dosbox? use remapper with ctrl+f1, you can set any controls you want, for any game. this is even better than playing it in xp... plus, in windows you won't get any sounds. maybe music only, which would be still output through the horrible default windows midi mapper

edit: i tried looking under excutable properties and maybe this selectbox is "accidentally" automatically selected on minimized for you?
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/7292/tempmw.png
try playing with various settings under the program properties tabs. but it's most probably the other program triggering after the exe is ran

yoga
14-03-2010, 06:13 AM
Pls,

try Full screen of label Screen in above Russ Screenshot.

some times it helps

LOL

Smiling Spectre
16-03-2010, 02:42 PM
DOS-games usually cannot work in window - it is always go to fullscreen. But if you'll try to switch to another window (or simply press Alt+Enter), it will simply minimize to taskbar. In fashion, similar to described. Just the same will be the case, if some application will pop-up it's window (antiviruses like very much to do that just when you start something).

Try to run DOS-session in window and look is it will do the same. For that start Command prompt from Standard programs or type "cmd" in the Run prompt of Start menu. If your screen still will minimize, chances is something with your DOS-settings.