PDA

View Full Version : Reviews Ratings

ultranewbie
14-01-2005, 06:22 AM
Now I understand that in order to review a game, it must have been a personal favourte years ago. But, to me, reviewers consistently rate games higher than the general members.

I hope this doesn't come across as an attack on anyone, merely a comment.. personally I find the reviewer's rating much more valuable than the public.

Puffin
14-01-2005, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by ultranewbie@Jan 14 2005, 07:22 AM
But, to me, reviewers consistently rate games higher than the general members.
Well, you have to remember that the user's vote is the average ;) One might give the game 4, while another gives it 2. While the reviewers vote is alone.

Eagle of Fire
14-01-2005, 11:26 AM
We would have the same opposite problem if the games were reviewed by people who don't necessarily like the game; have poor reviews which doesn't give justice to the game.

The main point I like to think about reviews is that they are there to push someone to actually try old games even tough the majority of "normal" gamers would not usually try because they think old games automatically are crappy obsolete games. In fact, old games are usually better than new games, so by going the high review way I hope we can bring some new gamers to some common sense and not discard old games on sight because of already made hard thinking.

If you want an example of what I am saying, you could always read my review (http://www.abandonia.com/game.php?ID=327&genre=text) on ADOM.

wormpaul
14-01-2005, 01:49 PM
Not all games has that problem..

People should just take more care in giving high points of 4 or 5 for a game....but we discussed that before and there is simply no solution for it..

Just test the game (after you read the review) and then decide id that is good :ok:

einherjar
16-01-2005, 07:47 PM
The reviewers don't rate the games, the editors do (or at least they rated the games I reviewed). I think reviewers should be given the ability to rate the games as well...

mouse31e
16-01-2005, 07:54 PM
The reviewers do rate the games - as long as they submit a rating with their review! :D

Sebatianos
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Jan 14 2005, 02:26 PM
The main point I like to think about reviews is that they are there to push someone to actually try old games even tough the majority of "normal" gamers would not usually try because they think old games automatically are crappy obsolete games.
Do you really think someone like that would bother to read the review? If something then it's the screenshots. If they don't catch the eye those people won't even bother. Even those who do download old games don't read the reviews - that's why they ask questions that were already answered!

People who read the reviews however will show enough consideration not to say - it's old - it's obsolite, so it's a peace off crap!

Wael
Actually,
The "Editors Rating",
is the rating made by the reviewer,
Or Atleast has been in my case,
(to my knowledge is always,
unless the reviewer forgets it)

/Edit
[Slow]

einherjar
Oh... no one told me that. I wish I knew 20 minutes ago.

Wael
16-01-2005, 07:56 PM
You still can delete the old file from the server,
And upload your own with the rating /-

Shouldn´t be a problem /-

einherjar
16-01-2005, 07:59 PM
Ah... I won't this time. I sent my review to Kosta a little while ago.

Wael
16-01-2005, 08:00 PM
Oh then,
If you sent the review directly to Kosta,
You could propably send by Pm also the rating you gave to it...

Your Call /-

wormpaul
16-01-2005, 08:10 PM
@ Sebastianos...

I read all the reviews...there are important to me :angel:

:angel: Just me…Just Wormpaul…just a little Angel :angel:

einherjar
16-01-2005, 08:13 PM
Well, I get the impression that he's pretty busy, so I don't like to bother him.

Wael
16-01-2005, 08:19 PM
Yes,
That might be true /-

Eagle of Fire
16-01-2005, 09:19 PM
I always read the game reviews when I look at a new game, and more often than not it's what will make me download the game. I use the screenshots only to see if I'd like to play the game first of all, but it doesn't mean that I would like it. The review can tell me that.

WildZeppelin
16-01-2005, 10:40 PM
A good review isn't based solely on screenshots, and it's certainly useless to go on a numeric rating system. The only way you can know is to try it out in a demo or buy it. Second best, is to find an article that explains the storyline and some of the gameplay. Opinions are just that....opinions. A real reviewer knows how to delve into how the environment looks and reacts. They'll explain details of things that stand out in a game that are unique, intriguing or exciting. There are just so many types of games, so you really won't know what will suit you without a good description. Many people don't like 1st person games, and their reasons are because of disorientation or difficulty with the speed. However, if they read enough, they could find certain games that are 3d that do not have those problems. It's just a matter of taste, and how much information you seek for a product.

Omuletzu
17-01-2005, 11:23 AM
I agree with you zeppelin, to some extend.My opinion is that reviews represent the impression that the game left on the reviewer.This is of course subjective.Screenshots on the other hand don't lie!
As a general rule: you can always trust a picture... you can never trust a review!(except mine :bleh: :tomato: :tomato: )

wendymaree
17-01-2005, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by einherjar@Jan 16 2005, 08:47 PM
The reviewers don't rate the games, the editors do (or at least they rated the games I reviewed).* I think reviewers should be given the ability to rate the games as well...
The reviewer is supposed to supply his or her own rating. But if there isn't one with the review, then the updater must guess what the reviewer might have given the game. If one of your reviews has a rating you don't agree with, einherjar, let me know by pm and I'll change it for you :)

Tuttle
17-01-2005, 11:44 AM
One of the best gaming mags I ever read prided itself on the fact that it never ever included a rating for anything. Their logic was that no scoring system can adequately capture a game's nuances, or the way that different people will see different things in a game.

For what it's worth, I agree. I generally can't stand RTS games -- If you asked me to rate Starcraft's value to me out of 10, I'd give it a 2 or 3. I suspect most RTS fans would disagree. :tomato: A single number between 0 and 10 doesn't even begin to allow for the fact that some people like RTS games and some don't.

The trick to writing a good review is to not just go on and on about how good or bad you think a game is (although it never hurts to give a subjective opinion at the end). A good review discusses a game's strengths and weaknesses, as well as identifying features that some people will find good and some will find bad (eg the darkness thing in Doom 3 -- it's atmospheric, but many people find it totally annoying). The goal is to give the reader enough info to decide whether a game seems worth trying for them.

When it comes down to the rating, I try to rate from the point of view of someone who already likes the genre of game in question. Normally that's easy enough to do -- if I didn't like something, I wouldn't be playing and reviewing it. :) But at the end of the day the rating is just a number picked by one person, incorporating their opinion of the relative importance of the game's strengths and weaknesses. All it really tells you is whether the reviewer liked it or not -- the reviewer can't tell whether you'll like it. If you want to try and work that out in advance, you need to read the review and make up your own mind.

Eagle of Fire
17-01-2005, 12:24 PM
I don't know for you Tuttle, but I myself rate the game in function of the game mechanics, problems found playing it, potential for fun etc and not about if I liked the game or not in itself.

I beleive that's easy to do when you played a lot of games and know what can be new or not.

I always dismiss a review which says "I love this game, it's the best!" on the spot.

marko river
17-01-2005, 03:56 PM
As for game ratings, my rating is always high, but that's because I only review games I'm totaly in. That's why I prbably know better what game can provide then someone who just read review or take a quick look at the game, so my oppinion of what game can offer is high. Still, I doub that's much important.