PDA

View Full Version : New "Reviews Needed" List + Thread

TotalAnarchy
19-01-2010, 10:37 AM
We're back to our previous system for recruiting people to review our beloved classic games. You can now find the list of reserved and available reviews, along with a small list of Recommended Selections for the undecided in the Offers forum here (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=22779). Don't hesitate to post there if you want take a game to review, and please read the instructions in the first post. The list will be updated periodically.

Saccade
19-01-2010, 07:10 PM
Are people gonna get special badges (maybe VIP ones) for being friends of abandonia and writing game reviews..?

It's already been said by several reviewers (including our own Marko River) that having a special badge is better than not having a special badge, when it comes to writing reviews for this site.

I don't know why it is better, but I collect knives, sometimes fish (live), and like best the ones that have unique features.
Maybe a VIP / special reviewer badge is a unique feature in a world where these badges are rarer than in mine..?

Acethor
20-01-2010, 01:10 AM
This special badge idea sounds nice... seems like a good way to grab alot of potential reviewers. The task should be something special though (special task for special badge :)), so that not just anyone can simply write a review, get a badge, and then slip back into unhelpfulness. Maybe we can have like Gold Reviewer, Silver Reviewer, etc.

[ed]

WTF, I just click post reply, it waits like 30 seconds then pops out with a whole bunch of copies of the post O.o

And now there's only one copy... weird...

TotalAnarchy
20-01-2010, 12:16 PM
If something like that is going to be implemented, it will be sometime in spring, maybe later. Staff is dead at the moment.

Eagle of Fire
20-01-2010, 05:40 PM
A new badge is a good idea. A lot of people like to help this site but lose interest when they realize that their work are not recognized enough to their liking.

That badge would at the very least be good for bragging rights. :)

Saccade
21-01-2010, 03:27 PM
The levelled / tiered badges would work best, I think...

Maybe some kinda pac-man meter for reviews, but with quicker cherries (or whatever the "upgraded" icon would be). Or like the normal posting "regular", "homie" or whatever it is.

I'm glad other people think it's a good idea, as I reckon it will help get more people writing.
Maybe we could even have some kinda reward for prolific reviewers and make an even bigger deal out of contributing to Abandonia.com?

I've been watching Supernanny, so I know all about reward and punishment, right?

The Fifth Horseman
21-01-2010, 04:40 PM
The levelled / tiered badges would work best, I think...
Maybe some kinda pac-man meter for reviews, but with quicker cherries (or whatever the "upgraded" icon would be). Or like the normal posting "regular", "homie" or whatever it is.
Waste not want not... the vBulletin reputation system is still in place, you know. Methinks maybe a few template hacks could repurpose it? :mhh: It would have to be separate from PoE, though, since I have no idea how to make PoE work between the site and the forum.

Maybe we could even have some kinda reward for prolific reviewers and make an even bigger deal out of contributing to Abandonia.com? *points at the VIP rank* Like that?

Saccade
22-01-2010, 06:02 AM
Yeah man - the VIP badge was the one that was going to be the Reviewer's badge stop-gap. Or was at least the first example...

Can we have a tiered VIP badge..? idk if it would be a good thing to use that one, as people would lose theirs.
Is it a big job to add another one?

The Fifth Horseman
22-01-2010, 01:06 PM
It's fairly easy, actually.
All that's needed to start are graphics, and... well, IDK but maybe we could drop the "Posting rank" thing altogether and reuse the gfx for reputation-level?

Eagle of Fire
22-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Lose my VIP tag? Nooooo! It's stuck there since so long, it won't come out!

:p

marko river
22-01-2010, 05:24 PM
maybe we could drop the "Posting rank" thing altogether and reuse the gfx for reputation-level?

I'm not sure that's good idea, actually. I completely don't care about posting rank, but I think that people that made lot of posts like that, like it shows that they are so active that they became "part of the forum inventory" or something :)

However, reviewer badge is a good thing especially for the newcomers. We already had discussion about this, but I can't find it. I suggested the first thing that came to my mind and that is Reviewer badges with different ranking. Something like receiving the "Ordinary reviewer's badge" for the first review supplied, and than having like bronze, silver and golden reviewer badge for more reviews.
I first thought that you need 1, 5, 10 and 50 reviews for progressing through ranks, but it is surely too much. So, perhaps something like this:

1 review - Ordinary reviewer's badge
3 reviews - Bronze reviewer's badge
5 or 7 reviews - Silver reviewer's badge
10 or 15 reviews - Golden reviewer's badge
20 or 50 reviews - Platinum reviewer's badge
100 reviews - Mithril body armor with engraving of special reviewer's badge, free trip to Rio and one year delivery of favorite candies or cookies.

I think that everyone who wrote at least one review should get the badge, and they should be aware that just a couple of reviews more will get them higher rank. 10 reviews for Golden badge seemed to few for the word "golden", but on the other hand, we don't have much people that wrote more than 10 reviews so... Anyway, numbers for ranks are easy to discuss IF we can have something like this at all

BranjoHello
22-01-2010, 07:54 PM
I have been talking about reviewer badge long ago, so I completly support everything in Marko's previous post.

bobson
23-01-2010, 03:46 PM
I like the plan that Marko posted :)

bobson
10-10-2010, 10:27 PM
What do you people think about this reviewer badges? I hope fifth will not be angry for the plagiarism I did with the little faces.

Bronze
Silver
Gold
Mithril body armor was a little too difficult to fit inside these tiny pictures, so A like in the logo should be fine :)

Frodo
10-10-2010, 10:56 PM
Frodo, you do not have permission to access this page.

:no:

BranjoHello
10-10-2010, 11:27 PM
Just change "reviever" into "reviewer", end it will be fine. :)

bobson
11-10-2010, 06:25 AM
Fixed :)

Frodo
11-10-2010, 08:16 AM
Still can't see it. :huh:

DarthHelmet86
11-10-2010, 08:22 AM
Looks nice. Very nice....I wants.

bobson
11-10-2010, 09:06 AM
Still can't see it. :huh:

I do not know how to help you... It's an attachement to the post placed on AB server, not just a picture from web.

marko river
11-10-2010, 02:29 PM
I like what you did bob. I hope that those kind of things may be motivating for new contributors. Like I said when describing my view of reviewers ranking, I think that members should progress through ranks quickly at the start. One review should be enough for the first rank. I stated that new rank should be reached with 3 reviews, but perhaps even two are enough. I've been thinking that it would be better to motivate 100 members to write 5 reviews each than motivating 10 members to write 10 reviews. I presumed that fewer people will be attracted if it require a lot of reviews. And after few reviews, reviewing gets under your skin :D

Is it possible for us to give badges at this very moment, or some implementing is required?

Frodo
11-10-2010, 06:03 PM
Maybe only Updaters can see it? :omg:

bobson
11-10-2010, 06:14 PM
BranjoHello is not an updater...

Japo
11-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Maybe only Updaters can see it? :omg:
At least as a guest I can't see it either, even though this thread is for the rest visible to guests. As an updater I can see it.

I'll test attaching the image myself again... EDIT still no

We could also follow the same idea as with Pacman and the dots. We could make an icon for a book or something, and adding one for each review. When you have a bunch you get a single big tome. Etc. Or we could use the science light bulbs from Civilization, or something from other game.