PDA

View Full Version : No Elvira? No Waxworks?

The jaws of cerberus
10-01-2005, 02:27 PM
[SIZE=7][COLOR=red] :Titan: I cant believe that the abandonia archives doesnt have the elvira series. Horror soft games are the best EVER.

is there a way to upload the game to the archives?

BLOODUK
10-01-2005, 02:31 PM
no dont want it, elvira is scary and she has big boobs :P

Data
10-01-2005, 02:38 PM
it's possible. although if you want to have a good change of getting it on the site you would have to write a review for it. as we are not lacking games. but reviews.

Borodin
10-01-2005, 02:44 PM
Wasn't there a list somewhere on the board, recently, of games needing reviews? I might be able to help a bit. My time's kinda tight; still...

mouse31e
10-01-2005, 02:45 PM
Here (http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1658) is the list of games that need reviews! :D

The jaws of cerberus
10-01-2005, 02:49 PM
miserably...

the game is not on the list

Borodin
10-01-2005, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by mouse31e@Jan 10 2005, 03:45 PM
Here (http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1658) is the list of games that need reviews! :D
Thanks. Sadly, it's been too long since I've played some of those titles (Wasteland, Deadline, for example), and others I've not played, at all. I'll keep an eye on the list, though, and see what pops up in the future.

mouse31e
10-01-2005, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Borodin+Jan 10 2005, 03:54 PM****</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Borodin @ Jan 10 2005, 03:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> ******QuoteBegin-mouse31e@Jan 10 2005, 03:45 PM
Thanks. Sadly, it's been too long since I've played some of those titles (Wasteland, Deadline, for example), and others I've not played, at all. I'll keep an eye on the list, though, and see what pops up in the future. [/b][/quote]
Those are all games that we have so if you are interested in reviewing any of them follow the proceducre and PM Kosta. If you tell him you don't have the game he'll probably give you the link to download it so you can play it again before reviewing! :D

Borodin
10-01-2005, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by mouse31e+Jan 10 2005, 04:23 PM****</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mouse31e @ Jan 10 2005, 04:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by Borodin@Jan 10 2005, 03:54 PM
******QuoteBegin-mouse31e@Jan 10 2005, 03:45 PM
Thanks. Sadly, it's been too long since I've played some of those titles (Wasteland, Deadline, for example), and others I've not played, at all. I'll keep an eye on the list, though, and see what pops up in the future.
Those are all games that we have so if you are interested in reviewing any of them follow the proceducre and PM Kosta. If you tell him you don't have the game he'll probably give you the link to download it so you can play it again before reviewing! :D [/b][/quote]
I mean, it's been too long since I've played those titles to adequately review them; and I'm really not interested in playing them, again. At this point, CGA, EGA, or text-based games that I've played before aren't of interest (though I might make an exception on some of Chris Crawford's older titles). My apologies if I wasn't clear about this.

However, I will keep watching the list. If something shows up that's a bit later which I have enjoyed and remember well, I'll be happy to do a review.

Mad-E-Fact
10-01-2005, 07:01 PM
I was under the impression that Elvira 1 + 2 never made it to the PC? Waxworks I'm not sure about...
If I'm wrong than let's see the games here. :) Great graphics, and quite spooky they were! :D

Wael
10-01-2005, 07:16 PM
Elviras are still sold here (http://www.adventuresoft.com/acatalog/Other_Adventure_Soft_games.html)

mika
10-01-2005, 07:17 PM
Waxworks was definitely released on PC. I also think I remember Elvira being released too.

Wael
10-01-2005, 07:19 PM
And waxworks, abandonware
Found in HotU, Here (http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=1250)

Edit- Not anymore, directed to adventuresoft

mika
10-01-2005, 07:22 PM
Yup, see...

Moby: Elvira (http://www.mobygames.com/game/sheet/p,2/gameId,4050/)
Moby: Elvira II (http://www.mobygames.com/game/sheet/p,2/gameId,1779/)
Moby: Waxworks (http://www.mobygames.com/game/sheet/p,2/gameId,1269/)

mika
10-01-2005, 07:23 PM
Damn good games though. Too bad...

The jaws of cerberus
11-01-2005, 01:07 AM
yeah to bad...

Borodin
11-01-2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by The jaws of cerberus@Jan 11 2005, 02:07 AM
yeah to bad...
Why? Which one of those titles did you play, JoC, and what did you think of it?

The jaws of cerberus
11-01-2005, 04:26 PM
i have play all of them.

and my problem is the reason why such a great game that is elvira: MoD and elvira II: TJOC i not on the abandonia archives.

horror soft deserve a spot in the archives

Omuletzu
11-01-2005, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by The jaws of cerberus@Jan 11 2005, 07:26 PM
i have play all of them.

and my problem is the reason why such a great game that is elvira: MoD and elvira II: TJOC i not on the abandonia archives.

horror soft deserve a spot in the archives
The reason is they'r still sold :wall:

BLOODUK
11-01-2005, 06:38 PM
Who cares put them up , the game is well old and shouldnt be sold at the price they are on that ONE SITE!!!

This site is too soft

:not_ok: :not_ok:

Mad-E-Fact
11-01-2005, 07:09 PM
be patient people ;)

Considering how crappy movie based games are normally, Elvira really stands out. Thank God they didn't base the story on the Elvira movies and actually managed to produce fun games with the franchise.

Btw, there was also an Elvira action game, much like Turrican, just with Elvira as hero. :)

The jaws of cerberus
11-01-2005, 10:34 PM
is the games are still being sold...

what would happen if it is put on the abandonia archives?
youŽll get a demand or a violation of the copyright or something?

HighProtein
11-01-2005, 11:49 PM
Here's another Elvira game...

http://www.the-underdogs.org/games/e/elviraarc/elviraarc-c.jpg

D/L It here...

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=1616

The Fifth Horseman
12-01-2005, 06:41 AM
what would happen if it is put on the abandonia archives?
youŽll get a demand or a violation of the copyright or something?

1. We have a code of honor here - only games that are not commercially avaible are put on Abandonia.
2. They could effect shutting the entire site down. Companies are sensitive on releasing freely their games that are still on sale. Hell, some are sensitive on just releasing their old products, even though they cannot be purchased anymore anywhere.

Omuletzu
12-01-2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by BLOODUK@Jan 11 2005, 09:38 PM
This site is too soft

:not_ok: :not_ok:
Every abandonware site has to be "soft" in order to survive!

The Fifth Horseman
12-01-2005, 10:57 AM
Yeah. And we don't want the companies getting medieval on our collective backside, do we?
If you cannot understand that, BLOODUK, then maybe you were looking for a w**ez site, not abandonware one.

Quite a few of your posts imply to me that you don't see too clearly the difference between what is abandonware and what is w**ez.
To remind you of their definitions:
Abandonware is not sold by the producer or retailers (note that this also applies to collection packs and the like) nor supported.
W**ez is illegal, as these games/programs are still sold. Note that if the company that published the game is an ESA member, their games can never attain abandonware status. On other hand, some authors and companies just of pure honesty release their older titles as public domain or freeware after a couple of years.

This site is too soft
Because nobody here wants to get involved in w**ez?

+++Edit: Softened the blow+++
Sorry, Omuletzu. Better now?

Omuletzu
12-01-2005, 11:01 AM
NO FLAME PLEASE! :Titan:

BLOODUK
12-01-2005, 12:00 PM
Oh dear ive been told off by a 100 poster member, not looking for vip status are we?

Did i mention wa*ez? noooo back off buddy dont flame people , when they dont flame you!

Omuletzu
12-01-2005, 12:04 PM
Okay now kiss and make up, or take it to your PM boxes! :rifle:

BLOODUK
12-01-2005, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Omuletzu@Jan 12 2005, 01:04 PM
Okay now kiss and make up, or take it to your PM boxes! :rifle:
Will do sorry, i just didnt need to be flamed by a child 1 day later after i was already replied to by someone else!! i said nothing more and left it.

:ranting:

The Fifth Horseman
12-01-2005, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by BLOODUK+****</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BLOODUK)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>not looking for vip status are we[/b]
Actually, I am. Right now I am preparing 50-odd games for upload.

Originally posted by BLOODUK@
Did i mention wa*ez?
I'll answer with a direct quote.
******QuoteBegin-BLOODUK
Who cares put them up , the game is well old and shouldnt be sold at the price they are on that ONE SITE!!! [/quote]

back off buddy dont flame people , when they dont flame you!
I did not intend my post to be taken as a flame. If you felt it to be that way, I am sorry. I am sometimes too straightforward, I guess.

Just remember... getting the companies to Abandonia will result in us all losing both a great site and a great community. Not to mention getting Kosta and all the high command to court for software piracy - when one company gets on that, the rest will join in as quickly as flies on a corpse.

Pax?

The jaws of cerberus
12-01-2005, 07:22 PM
but how can a game is still being sold is the company that create the games doesnt exist no more?

and please take yours fights somewhere else, this topic is to disscus about the game not to argue about stupid things

Borodin
12-01-2005, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by The jaws of cerberus@Jan 12 2005, 08:22 PM
but how can a game is still being sold is the company that create the games doesnt exist no more?

Any product on a communications medium doesn't become "free to all" because the person who did it dies, or the company that initially owned it ceases to exist. Legally binding contracts determine ownership, and these rights are often transferred. That explains why JRR Tolkien's eldest son was able to successfully sue the hell out of Ace Books back in the 1960s when they put out a pirated edition of the Lord of the Rings in the US. The same thing happens with games many games when their developers and publishers vanish; it's just less obvious.

That's why, for example, Jim Gasperini could claim ownership of his 1980s title, Hidden Agenda, despite the fact that Springboard Software, the publisher, has been gone for nearly two decades. Gasperini wrote it, and he can claim the intellectual copyright. Fortunately, he's generous: he offers the game free on his website to anybody who will contribute to one of a group of charities that Gasperini supports. Other developers don't want their titles available currently, and keep a tight rein on them. It isn't worth the trouble arguing with them.

The best thing you can hope for is that the company or developer simply doesn't care any longer. That explains why EA, which owns everything Orogin Systems ever did, doesn't come after websites that give away the Ultima titles. EA realizes the huge interest in those games will simply drive the transaction underground if they attempt to sell them; though it wouldn't surprise me if someday, someone in their bookeepping department gets the bright idea to do just that, again. Then we could expect to receive dunning notices demanding that the Ultima games be removed from Abandonia.

The jaws of cerberus
12-01-2005, 09:39 PM
oh

The jaws of cerberus
15-01-2005, 11:26 AM
so i guess that is nothing more to say about this topic.

so
it can be closse

Omuletzu
15-01-2005, 03:04 PM
Roger :bye: