PDA

View Full Version : Half Life 2

wormpaul
09-01-2005, 11:16 AM
Maybe this game is too new to discuss on a site like this but i need to get it of my chest...

This game isnt that good as almost every magazine is saying...it isnt that true classic like part 1 was (at least for me)

It's hard to explain but the whole game got an arcade feeling, the enemy`s are really stupid, the area`s are totally uninspired and most of all: The whole game doesnt got an own Identity...

Of course the graphics are fabolous, the whole new engine is cool with the new puzzles you can do (with the gravity gun) but the shooting part is really weak..

You doesnt even hit the enemy`s full in the face to make headshots and when just warmed up with some nice kills it`s already over because the game is just soo easy...(i play it on normal level...but only died 3 times and already half way the game...)

So am i the only one who thinks this game is not more then a funny shooter to play but never deserve a classic status???

Stroggy
09-01-2005, 12:08 PM
Its a great game.
But I think its unfair that, while Halo 2 gets bashed for a sudden ending, Half-Life 2 gets off scott-free doing the exact same thing.

I enjoyed playing Half-Life 2, except at some points where it became a bit dull.

Its a good game which, sadly, doesn't reveal much about the Half Life story (it doesn't even give a lot of clues)

All in all its a good game but, except for grapics and the engine, not much better than Halo 2 (atleast Halo 2 gave the player some new info rather than leaving him or her clueless)

EDIT: as a sidenote, why did you post it in Favourite Oldies?
a. its not your favourite game as the post says
b. as you have already said, its not an oldie.

wormpaul
09-01-2005, 12:46 PM
Didnt know where is should belonge else :blink:

The Niles
09-01-2005, 12:49 PM
This thread is in exactly the right place. General games discussion should take place here.

Half Life 2 was okay but at points too hard or too easy and sometimes a little dull. I had expected more from the graphics, they dissapointed at times and generally lagged behind those in Doom3. The details where missing. The gameplay is great generally. I did not like some of the monsters though. They did not react right. The bugs (the creatures not the crashes) where the biggest dissapointment. When I saw them I immidiatly thought "starship troopers" and how the beast could be shot up but in the game themselves it worked totally different. I was dissapointed that there was no animation for bullets entering their bodies and that they did not plow on even though they had lost a limb (they could not even lose a limb). The same holds true for the rest of the creatures and other enemies but to a lesser degree.

Still a very good game.

xoopx
09-01-2005, 01:02 PM
doesnt look like ill ever play this game, because i refuse to buy valve products anymore out of principle. they ruined counter-strike, enforced STEAM on people who didnt buy half-life to use on STEAM, and allow cheaters (either because theyre too lazy/stupid/cheap to fix the hacks, or allow it because so many morons like to cheat its easier keeping their cheating customers happy)

Mad-E-Fact
09-01-2005, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by wormpaul@Jan 9 2005, 11:16 AM
This game isnt that good as almost every magazine is saying...
Never believe the hype! :)

Ioncannon
09-01-2005, 01:39 PM
they also killed dod.... T_T

xoopx
09-01-2005, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Ioncannon@Jan 9 2005, 01:39 PM
they also killed dod.... T_T
oh yeah i forgot about dod for the 'ever been addicted to a videogame' post LOL.
oh and 'urban terror' or whatever it was called on quake3

mika
09-01-2005, 04:11 PM
I dunno guys - I thoroughly enjoyed this game. Some things bothered me too , but then there's always something wrong with every game isn't there ;)
One thing that got to me was that once you got the Ant Lion "gun" you could only use it in predefined places - stupid. And the ending was a little too abrupt for my tastes - still - graphics are very good - and much better than the claustrophobic feel of Doom 3 in my opinion. They're colourfull and very realistic. They also could have used more vehicles in the game, although the ones they have are loads of fun. Although you might be right about the story not being as good as the first one, but that always kinda happens with sequels anyway - plus the story's not really finished so who knows.,

Plus - STEAM sucks balls! The game has definitely got the worst installation procedure of all time, and if more games employ it, it will be the demise of PC gaming.

The Niles
09-01-2005, 04:18 PM
I enjoyed half life 2 as well. The hype gets to me though. Everyone lauding it as the best game in history. That is just B.S.. There are many games that have been more revolutionary then HL2 and graphically the game had been surpassed even before it was released. STEAM is also a reason you might want to stear clear of the game. I hate being forced to use it. I am thinking twice next time I am thinking of buying a Valve game.

TaloN
09-01-2005, 04:40 PM
i bought HL2...... installed...tried to register CD key... said it had already been registered, took it straight back to the shop.

neways

valve suck:

ruined CS

dod is still ok but its jsut a matter of time.

Flammo80
09-01-2005, 05:22 PM
I enjoyed hl2, my only concern was the requirements. You really need a killer comp to enjoy it to the fullest. My fps were horrible during the strider combats, and the last few chapters. Played it through just to see the story.

The biggest let down was when g-man appeared 'Time.. Mr Freeman...? Leaving no conclusion to the story. I'll be expecting another release soon, with the same engine hopefully.

Stroggy
09-01-2005, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Flammo80@Jan 9 2005, 05:22 PM

The biggest let down was when g-man appeared 'Time.. Mr Freeman...? Leaving no conclusion to the story.
Indeed
I was just preparing myself to begin running.
And then...
"time? mr Freeman?"

WildZeppelin
09-01-2005, 11:19 PM
Haven't played HL2, and I might when it falls to $15. It seems fun, especially since I played the first one and enjoyed it; but I didn't get excited hearing about it coming out. Doom 3 on the other hand, I wish people would get off making it out to be something it was NEVER supposed to be. If anyone read what was originally inteded for, they'd know it was ALL about ATMOSPHERE. And as far as I'm concerned, visuals still blows me away on my mid-ranged card. They wanted to make you jump, and it does. Several times. They wanted shadows to prevail in a claustrophobic environment where sounds and lights immerse you to be constantly on edge. It was never supposed to be an all out fps slugfest. If anyone has a legitimate gripe, I can see two areas that annoyed me. I wish they'd have put a little more effort into animatronics and reactions to bullets and the environment. You'd think nowadays that an enemy would be able to react when something explodes nearby or is hit by a bullet or object. It's a start that they take cover, and in farcry they converge on you tactically, but jeez, a little more enemy attitude would be nice for once. The other gripe is the PDAs. I liked the idea, but I feel they failed to keep many of them from pulling you out of the mood at times. Anyway, that's my hype.

xoopx
09-01-2005, 11:25 PM
im not sure the 'revolutionary' physics is that revolutionary anyway. trespasser (first person shooter set on the lost world - jurassic park) has realistic physics and its about as old, or older than half life 1

JJXB
09-01-2005, 11:30 PM
i haven't played hl2 and i don't plan on playing it for 2 reasons:
1. my computer wouldn't run it
2. STEAM

as far as im concerned, steam screwed up hl + mods and crippled it.

Koen
10-01-2005, 01:09 AM
It just was a fantastic game IMO. I liked it, that a game known as 'graphically good' runned on my 875 mhz pc, with all graphical features being on, on 20 fps! I really liked the graphics, just take a look at that water! Ain't it fantastic? And the gameplay is just perfect, maybe a bit too easy, but nothing more to say about that. I'm a big fan of hl2, and am hoping for a hl3!!! (heard something from it already)

Razer
10-01-2005, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by xoopx@Jan 9 2005, 11:25 PM
im not sure the 'revolutionary' physics is that revolutionary anyway. trespasser (first person shooter set on the lost world - jurassic park) has realistic physics and its about as old, or older than half life 1
If you want phyisics, I sugest you try out America's Army and check out those twisted phyisics :wall: :D Then again, it is funny to see an enemy fold up like paper :twisted: :evil: LOL .

Mrop
10-01-2005, 02:36 PM
HL2 doesn't have the feeling of running alone in tunnels, you just want to survive and get out. HL2 you feel more like a Messiah. The first part when you escape over the rooftops is quite HL1, even though you are invurnable

wormpaul
10-01-2005, 04:09 PM
Indeed....maybe it just missed the feeling from being hunted and really survive :ok:

Omuletzu
10-01-2005, 08:23 PM
I don't like shooters very much(except for doom 2,1, and some other oldies).I played both of the revolutionary shooters(refering to doom3 and hl 2).Although i enojoyed neither, i must say that the gameplay in hl2 is dull and boring, where as in doom3 it's extreme.I remember i played one night doom3 and then i didn't have the guts to play it again.
Although neither reached the standards set by their predecessors, i must say that doom3 is somewhat closer to reaching that objective.
Their failure was quite predictible actually.With such strong predecessors, the sequels were a sure failure from the start IMO

mika
10-01-2005, 08:27 PM
I think that we're all just so jaded with games that nothing will ever excite us like the old, original ones did.

wormpaul
10-01-2005, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by mika@Jan 10 2005, 08:27 PM
I think that we're all just so jaded with games that nothing will ever excite us like the old, original ones did.
Nope...

the first half life did it also to me :bleh:

Omuletzu
10-01-2005, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by mika@Jan 10 2005, 10:27 PM
You are right mika.Playing these old games has raised my standards very high.I hardly play new games any more.As a side note i think the golden age for dos games was between 1990-1997, and the golden age for windows games was between 1996-2000, with a few exceptions!
I am awaiting for a new golden age for windows games.There are already signs! :angel:

wormpaul
10-01-2005, 08:40 PM
and what are the signs????

Omuletzu
10-01-2005, 08:42 PM
Great games that have revolutionised the pc software market, one way or another

wormpaul
10-01-2005, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Omuletzu@Jan 10 2005, 08:42 PM
Great games that have revolutionised the pc software market, one way or another
I hope you doesnt mean:

STALKER...

that game wasnt that good (at least i heard by the stories)

Plz give me names...i`m hungry for new info :ok:

Omuletzu
10-01-2005, 08:47 PM
That is a matter of taste, but it is my feeling that a new golden period for Windows games will arrive

Flammo80
10-01-2005, 11:08 PM
I'm hoping you're right. The adventure genre has certainly lost its edge. And releasing games like Leisure suit larry isn't helping.

The fps genre keeps improving. Hl2 just set the new standards (engine-wise). Its going to take hl3 to blow my mind again.

xoopx
10-01-2005, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Flammo80@Jan 10 2005, 11:08 PM
I'm hoping you're right. The adventure genre has certainly lost its edge. And releasing games like Leisure suit larry isn't helping.

The fps genre keeps improving. Hl2 just set the new standards (engine-wise). Its going to take hl3 to blow my mind again.
the engine cant be that great if CS source is full of hacks, like i noticed the people at hard ocp complaining about

Flammo80
11-01-2005, 03:32 PM
Has anyone tried GarysMod? (http://www.garry.tv/garrysmod/)

wormpaul
11-01-2005, 04:03 PM
Look really strange to me (the balloons and the little cars) and sometimes even sick :sick: (the baby out of a men./.)

So ill just wait for better mods...anyone got one???

LeperMessiah
11-01-2005, 04:22 PM
Well I enjoyed playing Half-Life 2, enjoyed much more than Doom III (at least didn't have so much stress & paranoia while playing :ph34r: )

Wait for the S.T.A.L.K.E.R ;) I'm sure it'll be worth playing

Flammo80
11-01-2005, 04:24 PM
The project called SourceBall sounds really cool. Im sure you know speedball right? This IS abandonia, so I guess we all know bitmap brothers.

Sourceball is based on that, only its completely different. Yeah. That sums it up.