PDA

View Full Version : Sid Meiers Pirates! Remake

TaloN
06-01-2005, 08:36 PM
who has the new version?

i love it, so much fun, so hiliarous, its just great

Stroggy
06-01-2005, 08:45 PM
I saw it today in a store and was tempted to buy it.
But I didn't read any reviews and didn't know if it was any good (it looked good) so I just used my money to buy two books.

You say its good, eh?
Well if more sources comfirm this I'll perheps buy it next weekend.
Gamespot sure gave it a good mark

Gormash
06-01-2005, 08:57 PM
Well, it is definitely good, and there are some very good and much-needed changes from the original (not talking of graphics here, which is gorgeous).

There are some things that bother me, though, and the biggest letdown is that after you have played for a while things start to get very repetitive. Sure, there is much to do, but as this is an open-ended game it should have more to it.

My review: 7 out of 10.
Everything is beautiful to look at, the sounds are great (the speech reminds me of The Sims), and the controls spot on. The biggest plus is that you don't require a monster PC to run it.
I reduce the rating because it tend toward the repetitive (though not to the point of boredom), and it has no multiplayer option.

It you loved the original you'll love this version as well, and it will hold you glued to the screen for a ling time, but there WILL come a time when you thing enough is enough...

Strobe
06-01-2005, 10:46 PM
i have the new pirates! with those fantastic 3D-graphics....
although it is not running too smooth on my machine (because i have a shitty, old
gfx-card :cry: ) it's a lot fun to play. now you can finally name your ships, the interface
has generally improved and there's even a top10 list of the most wanted pirates...

i haven't dived very much into that game so far, since i got it only a few days ago,
but as far as i've had a look at it, it's really amazing in its look and gameplay!

BlackMageJawa
06-01-2005, 11:03 PM
Can you set up a duel between Guybrush Threepwood and Jack Sparrow?

And if not- WHY NOT?

MasterGrazzt
07-01-2005, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by BlackMageJawa@Jan 7 2005, 12:03 AM

And if not- WHY NOT?
Because this has nothing to do with the game.

And that's a lame idea anyway.

berkie1234
07-01-2005, 03:54 AM
haven't seen this in the store.when i do i will get it cuz I LOVED THE OTHERS :ok:

goblins
07-01-2005, 07:49 AM
I give it 6 outta 10 for gameplay (sorry its overhyped)
But a solid 9 outta 10 for graphics
And 8.5 outta 10 for originality and creative elements. Still add very little in way of impact on gameplay

edlglide
07-01-2005, 08:04 AM
I'd give this a 10 out of 10 in gameplay. The original was one of the best 10 or 15 computer games ever made, and I was really hoping that they didn't change the gameplay too much because it probably would have just ruined it -- and they did exactly what I wanted. Kept the same basic gameplay with a few upgrades.........this is one of the most addicting games ever made. Most games you play through and beat and then you're done and don't really care too much about playing it again........but this one, just like the original, you will play through a career and then immediately start up a new one. Definitely one of the best games released in the past year.

Which brings up a huge problem.........companies have generally stopped making good hybrid games like this. There are still a few, but there are so many interesting games released in the late 1980s and early 1990s that would never get released now. Most good games released now are just a rehash of another concept........and it's the same concept over and over. You don't see people releasing games now that are a simulation of the race to space, for example. I wish they would.

Stroggy
07-01-2005, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by edlglide@Jan 7 2005, 09:04 AM
You don't see people releasing games now that are a simulation of the race to space, for example. I wish they would.
That is true, but these days I'd be surprised if gamers knew there was a race.
In talking about a game about the spacerace I expect them to return me a blank stare and ask "can you mod your car to show groovy colours in this race?"

I remember once talking to a gamer my age about the battle of Kursk.
At one point he blurts out "yeah, that was a great mission, but I always ran out of ammo"
He actually believed I was reffering to a game!

edlglide
07-01-2005, 08:39 AM
Still, I think there's a market for games like this, just like there was 10-15 years ago. The problem is that the big companies don't want to produce a game that they don't think will sell thousands and thousands of copies because gaming has become such a huge industry. Smaller independent companies could still make games like these, but they'll have a hard time promoting them or letting people know they're out there. It really bothers me, because I like some of these original concepts much more than anything that comes out now.

mikebarry
08-01-2005, 09:46 AM
I liked the SEGA Genesis version. Why remake it past that? :crazy: :D

Danny252
08-01-2005, 10:04 AM
am I the only one here who dosen't have it?

Predator
08-01-2005, 10:24 AM
No, I also don't have it yet. But if you all say it's even better than Pirates! Gold...

Strobe
08-01-2005, 10:34 AM
be assured, predator, it IS better than the gold version. but it also needs
a faster computer to play it smoothly, unlike the older versions.

damn, i really need a new graphic card in order to enjoy the remake...

Predator
08-01-2005, 10:45 AM
In that case I will be able to play it. Freddy's machine is reasonably fast, and he'll leave it over for me soon, so...

edlglide
09-01-2005, 12:10 AM
Yes, it's definitely better than Pirates! Gold.

Razer
10-01-2005, 05:56 AM
I personolly can trust the site which i got the review from. And that site is game revolution, And a qoute "This is why we rule, and everyone else sucks!" LOL plus good humor " Dont believe me? Check This (http://gr.bolt.com/articles/rants/archive/7-12-00.htm) out

Titan
10-01-2005, 06:17 AM
LOL... SOMETIMES it's lagging a little on my P4 3.2-machine...

It's a good game.. defenetly worth the money.. but it CAN get a little booring after a while, and i would DEFENETLY have liked to see a MP-option of some sort.. atleast a LAN-feature...

8.5 / 10 on gfx
8 / 10 on gameplay

overall 9 / 10... it's just something about it... and... well... no secret..... WE LOVE SID!!!!!! :Brain:

goblins
10-01-2005, 07:21 AM
yeah sid miers games latley seem to be lacking solid multiplayer options - guess with all these new online MMOPOG games etc that they are breaking into online versus singleplayer offline games.

edlglide
10-01-2005, 07:31 AM
I don't think a game like Pirates! needs a multiplayer option, nor do I think it would really do that much for gameplay. Some developers are throwing in online multiplayer options now just because it's the thing everyone is doing, but some games aren't really made for it -- and that's the way it should be. Video games will be in trouble (in my opinion, at least) when developers stop thinking about single player action and focus just on multiplayer.

Mrop
10-01-2005, 01:28 PM
Me thinks it'll be a multiplayer expansion, just like "Play the world" to civ 3.
And then it'll be a famous expeditions expansion just like "Conquests" to civ 3 that includes the multiplayer expansion, just like "Conquests" to civ 3...

The Settler
10-01-2005, 05:15 PM
jepp, this game is one of the best in 2004... But after a couple of days dancing and looting it gets a little repetetive, but there are so many things you can do... so try and do different things all the time, then u wont notice too much that it is repetitive. I must say that attaking towns from shore is an excellent touch in the game.... It adds a little strategy!! :)

rating: 9 og 10 :ok:

Sid Meier has done it again!!!

Strobe
10-01-2005, 08:41 PM
as far as my slow machine (amd 1,4) has allowed me to enjoy the game,
i'd rate 8.5/10.

and YES, a multiplayer option would be awsome, indeed!! :ok:

elgado
11-01-2005, 12:41 PM
Its a good game, imo - good enough for me to actually get a legit copy of it :D ... There is, however, one very annoying thing about it and that is that you can't try to attack a coastal city via the sea like you could in the older versions. Instead, you have to land your troops and march into the city <_< ... Seeing that in the previous games, most of my assaults were from the sea, I was extremely disappointed that they had to take that option away...

Stroggy
12-01-2005, 02:35 PM
I bought it today and I must thank you all for suggesting it I've had a great time playing it It is indeed very addictive

mahahelel
18-01-2005, 03:06 AM
damn here i was asking for a copy of the original one over in requests and now i come over here and get convinced to buy the new one. as far as repetiveness goes is it about the same as the old one? the old could be called repetive but it was still adicting as hell.

Stroggy
18-01-2005, 05:23 AM
Well it is very repetitive, but its fun nonetheless.

bohor
18-01-2005, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by BlackMageJawa@Jan 7 2005, 12:03 AM

And if not- WHY NOT?
who is Jack Sparrow?

MasterGrazzt
18-01-2005, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by bohor+Jan 18 2005, 01:47 PM****</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bohor @ Jan 18 2005, 01:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> ******QuoteBegin-BlackMageJawa@Jan 7 2005, 12:03 AM

And if not- WHY NOT?
who is Jack Sparrow? [/b][/quote]
Johnny Depp's character in Pirates of the Caribbean. He looks like an extra in a The Cure video.