PDA

View Full Version : joystick emulater that works for WinXP-DOSBox

nextinline
15-10-2009, 01:00 AM
so i can play auto-duel it seems very fun i searched for joystick emus and the 1# result at Zophars Domain and here's the listings

Direct Pad Pro Direct Pad Pro is like Sneskey 9x, but it uses DirectX drivers. What this program does different, is it lets you install your console controller like a regular PC controller... Pretty cool... it also runs faster than Sneskey 9x. This program has support for PSX Dual Shock!
DPadPro has been discontinued.

JoyEmu This is the ultimate keyboard emulator around. This tiny TSR supports 1 or 2 joysticks, 2,4,6 and 8 button joysticks, mouse support, auto-fire for all buttons, hold mode and shift mode settings, configuration file, and much more! There are 2 versions, one of which does not have hotkey support and uses 1KB less memory. If you want to use a joystick with a game that doesn't support joysticks, look no further. This is the emulator to use.

JoyKeys This keyboard emulator is similar to JoyEmu, except it has a few limitations. For example, there is no configuration file so everything must be typed in at the command line, and it also isn't compatible with every game that it's been tested on. It does, however, use less memory when loaded (only about 2KB).

JoytoKey This software is a keyboard emulator for joysticks. It converts joystick input into keyboard input (and mouse input). Use it when you want to control an application with joysticks that doesn't support joystick input.

JoytoKey This software is a keyboard emulator for joysticks. It converts joystick input into keyboard input (and mouse input). Use it when you want to control an application with joysticks that doesn't support joystick input.

PPJoy This parallel-port driver supports quite a few joysticks, including
several console game-pads. There is rudimentary support for Windows 98 and ME, but the
author considers it for the brave.

Psxpad This parallel-port joystick emulator for Windows 2k and XP, though only in an early alpha stage, currently works with SNES, Nintendo 64, Saturn, and Playstation controllers.

SnesKey This is a console gamepad emulator. It allows you to connect almost all console gamepads to your PC, and run them as acual PC gamepads. It works on EVERY game for you can edit the keys it uses. The windows version can't use as many controllers as the Dos Version can... but it doesn't take 10 MHz power to run it either. You have to make your own cable to run from your LPT port to your controller, and the instructions to make them are in the DOS Version's help manual. You can also define wich buttons do what, pretty cool.
SnesKey has been discontinued.

USB Converter This information site by Simon Nield teaches you how to make your N64/PSX pad use the USB port. VERY interesting! (COOL! i have a authentic 700x PSX :woot:)

will any work or will i have to get a DOS one that works on DOSBox and launch Auto-duel (:idea:hey smart idea)

Saccade
15-10-2009, 12:49 PM
Dude - that is a _lot_ of research!
Nice one :OK:

I've not had any probs with a joypad in dosbox...
I think I changed the config so that the set sound bit had Jxxx or something.

If you need software, first thing I'd try is some old sound-card ones, for DOS. Drivers or something.
They usually had CD-ROM and Joystick ones inside.

What'd be really good, is if we hunted down links for all the things you mentioned.
Make the names of them hyperlinks and that's a most excellent joystick resource, nextinline!

A bit like russ' great Abandonia search plug-in - things like this don't get the light they deserve.
Hopefully, one day, far in the future, someone will be very grateful that you've scribed all this.

(unless it's a copy-paste, in which case I retract everything that I've said :p)

nextinline
15-10-2009, 08:14 PM
its copy paste

Saccade
16-10-2009, 03:39 PM
LOL
oh well.

Thanks for the useful info, anyway, nextinline!

B-Wolf
18-11-2009, 09:29 PM
Xpadder is also a good Keyboard to Joystick program that has a lot of functions. I've used it to play Sango Fighters in Dosbox (not that i needed to as Sango Fighters has Joystick support). I recommend trying it out.

Zaru
20-11-2009, 06:47 PM
I've been using the PPJoy emulator, already mentioned here, for some time now and I must say that it worked great. Even in simulation games like Lucasarts space sim series. I remember using it in X-Wing: Alliance and I was quite satisfied with my ship's steering. The only bad thing I've noticed about PPJoy is that it had some issues with PythonOgre interface. But on the other hand, how many people are programming in it while playing sims with PPJoy?