PDA

View Full Version : Join the Grammar Squad!

Acethor
21-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Lately, the number of active members in our Grammar Squad has reached an all-time low. We would like to remedy this by searching for new recruits!

How about it? We need dedicated and hard-working people to join our elite cadre, and help in the never-ending struggle against mispronunciations and horrible typos! It's very simple really. :)

Grammar Squad work consists of checking reviews for any grammatical or structural mistakes. These reviews are either ones that belong to games that are on-site already, or ones that belong to games that are waiting to be added.

If you would like to join, simply post here, and you will be added into the Grammar Squad. The secret Grammar forum (which common ordinary users cannot see) will then be unlocked for you, and therein you will find the rules, as well the necessary equipment for your task.

Well what are you waiting for? Sign up now! :OK:

DOS dinosaur
05-10-2009, 04:29 PM
I'm a bit new here (and won't have a lot of spare time), but am reasonably proficient in English grammar and spelling if you guys think I might be of assistance.

I understand if there's a minimum membership period and/or post count before appointment to these positions though. :)

Acethor
06-10-2009, 02:39 AM
Hi there DOS dino! Glad you could join us, your help is greatly appreciated! We are all volunteers here so there isn't any minimum membership or post count. What matters most is consistency. Even if you could only check two or three reviews a month that would be a BIG help!

So welcome aboard matey! The secret forum has now been revealed to you (or will be shortly). You can find instructions on your tasks in this short guide (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=21674).

DOS dinosaur
06-10-2009, 03:59 AM
So welcome aboard matey! The secret forum has now been revealed to you (or will be shortly). You can find instructions on your tasks in this short guide (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=21674).
Thanks, I'll try to be an asset. :cheers:

I'm currently receiving the following error message on the instruction link:

"DOS dinosaur, you do not have permission to access this page."

Not sure if "shortly" in this case means hours or days (weeks?), but I'll check back again later. :)

bobson
06-10-2009, 05:07 AM
Not sure if "shortly" in this case means hours or days (weeks?), but I'll check back again later. :)

Until Admin reads his memo :)

Dave
06-10-2009, 08:57 AM
Added :)

Suicide Boy
16-10-2009, 09:22 PM
I'm not quite sure what the Grammar Squad entails, but I'm willing to join and lend a hand. I've always been a stickler for proper English grammar.

In fact, I've personally completed and released "grammar mods" for two computer strategy games, namely Galactic Civilizations II and Armageddon Empires. You can find the Armageddon Empires mod (and the readme I wrote for it) here (http://www.crypticcomet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=509); as for the GalCivII mod, I'm afraid I've lost track of it at this point. I haven't played GalCivII nor participated in its online community for a while now, and the mod is lost somewhere in the churning bowels of the GalCivII mod database.

Dave
17-10-2009, 12:11 PM
I'm not quite sure what the Grammar Squad entails, but I'm willing to join and lend a hand. I've always been a stickler for proper English grammar.

In fact, I've personally completed and released "grammar mods" for two computer strategy games, namely Galactic Civilizations II and Armageddon Empires. You can find the Armageddon Empires mod (and the readme I wrote for it) here (http://www.crypticcomet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=509); as for the GalCivII mod, I'm afraid I've lost track of it at this point. I haven't played GalCivII nor participated in its online community for a while now, and the mod is lost somewhere in the churning bowels of the GalCivII mod database.
Ok, added to the group!

Grammar Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=29)

Please contact the team (Acethor, arete...) if you need help :)

Suicide Boy
17-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Ok, added to the group!

Grammar Forums (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=29)

Please contact the team (Acethor, arete...) if you need help :)

Glad to be aboard, and thank you!

I promise I won't vanish after three days as people are wont to do on the Internet. :blow:

Acethor
18-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Welcome :)

Nick
18-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Join the Grammar Nazi Squad. :perv:

http://lurkmore.ru/images/8/89/Rozentall.jpg

knobfer
30-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Hi I could help out. How is this going to work though? Do we just make alterations to a post or is the material that needs checking sent to us somehow?

*EDIT* Yeah I just read the first post again.. Thats how we make alterations.. Via the secwet fowum!

Dave
30-10-2009, 04:35 PM
Perhaps it isn't much clear, I want to specify that Grammar Squad members check reviews for games on site and for new titles in queue. Not every post into forums made by users :)
Still interested?

bluestarultor
01-11-2009, 07:42 PM
I wouldn't mind doing this. I can't say I have all the time in the world, but I have good language skills and am a stickler for grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

Acethor
02-11-2009, 03:05 AM
Consider yourself added then :) ... You'll see the forum when Dave gets online.

Welcome! :D

[ed]

Just read the instruction thread to get a good idea of how things work.

Himmler
02-11-2009, 04:56 AM
i'd join it, but i'm not a nazi like you all! so i won't!

arete
02-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Suuuuure :p

I seen what you keep in your basement.

Dave
02-11-2009, 11:17 AM
bluestarultor added to the group!

Grammar Forum (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=29)

Thank you for your help :)

ysorian
02-11-2009, 10:46 PM
cant promise ill always be around but this is what i was trained for, english and lit studies after tertiary education. Attempted author myself, if u want a broom ill give it a go :)

Acethor
03-11-2009, 12:48 AM
If you can promise at least one check per month, then you can join :)

DarthHelmet86
02-12-2009, 09:34 AM
Since I tend to just wander through alot of the game reviews when I am bored, I am more then willing to help.

Acethor
02-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Because of lack of interest from previous checkers, I'm going to implement a new procedure soon. One that involves sending a review via PM to each new recruit first before they join, in order to test if they're really willing to help.

And of course let's not forget the PoE reward bonuses for checkers that will also be implemented, and (hopefully) other goodies :).

If you're serious about it, I'll send you a review to check, and if you complete it, you'll be added to the Squad.

DarthHelmet86
02-12-2009, 10:18 AM
I am quite happy to help, in fact with my random wandering I have already picked up a couple of reviews that have either spelling mistakes or incorrect grammar. I'm not sure how much has to be wrong with a review or how easy it is for you (or me or whoever gets to do it) to fix, but when my baby goes to sleep I have a lot of time on my hands. Feel free to PM me that review and I'll check it.

Dave
02-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Glad to see you want to help DarthHelmet86!

@Acethor: just send me a PM in case you want him into the Squad :)

CyberDiablo
04-12-2009, 03:57 PM
I'd like to join, but I can check only a few times a month.

Bazly
12-12-2009, 03:52 PM
This sounds right up my alley! If you're looking for people, count me in! I'm an English major, and huge abandonia frequenter.

Acethor
12-12-2009, 04:48 PM
You can work at your own pace, but the main thing is: make sure you DO something! :p

That aside, I'll send you both pms with reviews that need checking. Just edit the review, mark added stuff with bold, and removed stuff with strikeouts. You'll find the icons on the panel up there when you create a new message. It's not too hard really.

If you pass this "test", I'll add you to the team :)

DarkArmada
14-12-2009, 06:57 AM
If you're serious about it, I'll send you a review to check, and if you complete it, you'll be added to the Squad.

Hey Acethor - I've recently signed up to the AB Times and wouldn't mind lending a helping hand grammar-wise. Shoot me over a review and I'll flex my grammatical muscles :thumbs:

As others here I can't guarantee I'll be able to work through reviews like a machine, but it'll be something to fill in my spare time at work! Thanks

Acethor
16-12-2009, 06:43 AM
Okay, reviews in need of checking sent to CyberDiablo, Bazly, DarkArmada, and Gondring (who offered his help via PM, and who also happens to be the former EIC of two newspapers). If you can pass the test, you're in! :)

DarkArmada
16-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Okay, reviews in need of checking sent to CyberDiablo, Bazly, DarkArmada, and Gondring (who offered his help via PM, and who also happens to be the former EIC of two newspapers). If you can pass the test, you're in! :)
Thanks Acethor - I've PM'd you back the proofed review. I'll be focusing alot of my time here helping out with AT but I'm fine to proof reviews when I've got a bit of free time. :)

Acethor
17-12-2009, 06:31 AM
Ok, consider yourself added then. Dave will give you access to the Grammar forum when he gets online. Shouldn't be too long. Once again, thanks for yr help! :)

Dave
17-12-2009, 11:43 AM
@DarkArmada: you should see a new forum now :)
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=29

DarkArmada
17-12-2009, 08:09 PM
@DarkArmada: you should see a new forum now :)
http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/forumdisplay.php?f=29
Thanks Dave - spent last night getting acquainted with the staff forums.

Generally speaking with grammar corrections, do we just pick out reviews that need to be proofed or are we assigned pieces?

Acethor
18-12-2009, 03:38 AM
Just pick reviews out of the pool in the main forum. Or you can even post reviews there if you see one from a game that is on-site that needs touching up.

Who knows though, you might be assigned sth if you become too lazy... :p

[ed]

Bazly has completed his assignment, and is now eligible for membership. Dave, please hunt through that big bag of yours and give him a shiny blue badge :p

Dave
18-12-2009, 08:46 AM
Ok, just added :)

Ribon
26-12-2009, 08:21 PM
I'm also spending a lot of time on abandonia and am a student of English studies at my local university. Need any more grammar freaks?:p

ianphillips2347
26-12-2009, 11:46 PM
and am a student of English studies

:(

Ribon
27-12-2009, 01:03 AM
:(

Problem?

Acethor
04-01-2010, 07:42 AM
Chill guys...

Maybe you both can join, and then pit your skills against each other eh? :p

Nothing like a bit of friendly competition :)

Lemme know if you want in.

On a side note, there isn't anything wrong with Ribon's grammar in that sentence up there.

DarthHelmet86
04-01-2010, 08:17 AM
There isn't anything wrong with the grammar, but alot of people would write it and I am. Both ways would be correct though.

Acethor
04-01-2010, 11:02 AM
It seems to me that since he already let us know that he's referring to himself "I'm also..." there's no need to say "I'm" or "I am" again :)

There is a technical way to explain this, but I'm definitely not getting into it :D

Anyhow, guys, let's get back to work in the Grammar Forum! The holiday season is over, so unless you're taking an extended vacation, try to help out if you can :p ... the reviews are gonna start pouring in.

I gotta get back to these ones I'm working on... see ya'll later :cheers:

bimberbube
05-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Because of lack of interest from previous checkers, I'm going to implement a new procedure soon. One that involves sending a review via PM to each new recruit first before they join, in order to test if they're really willing to help.

And of course let's not forget the PoE reward bonuses for checkers that will also be implemented, and (hopefully) other goodies :).

Hi there,

send me one, then, and let me prove I'm worthy to join the noble Grammar Squad. :)

Ribon
05-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Well, as my professor of grammar would explain... :p

I'm also spending a lot of time on abandonia and am a student of English studies at my local university. Need any more grammar freaks?:p

The subject (in this case, me) is already expressed in the first part of the sentence (I'm also spending...) and because we tend to be very economical when forming sentences, the subject in the second part of the sentence ([...]and am[...]) is omitted; the reader still knows who I'm talking about because no other subject was expressed in the context. So, even though the teachers in primary schools and high schools (and even universities) are likely to be happier if you put a personal pronoun between those two beauties, there's nothing wrong by omitting them...

I just don't like my shift button. :p

Anyway, yeh I'd like to help you guys in the Grammar Squad. :)

Acethor
06-01-2010, 05:57 AM
Reviews in need of checking sent to bimberbube and Ribon :)

Acethor
08-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Both individuals have recently completed their assignments in a satisfactory manner, and are currently eligible for Grammar Squad induction. Dave, please add them.

Welcome to the group, Ribon and bimberbube :)

Ribon
08-01-2010, 11:05 PM
Yay thx.:D

Paco
09-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Both individuals have recently completed their assignments in a satisfactory manner, and are currently eligible for Grammar Squad induction. Dave, please add them.

You have to contact Fifth about adding them to Squad. Dave is in Vacation for a while...

Acethor
09-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Is that so?
Guess I'll PM Fifth then.

Morrin
18-01-2010, 11:21 AM
May I inquire, what exactly is the mission of grammar waffen? To fix typos? To warn newcomers for inproper grammar? Please specify!

Ribon
18-01-2010, 01:30 PM
To check the reviews for any grammatical or structural mistakes. ;)

Fruit Pie Jones
18-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Yes, to be very clear, Grammar Squad only edits reviews. We don't care what is said (or how it is said) on the forums. Well, don't go disparaging our mothers; we'll care about that, and woe be unto you if you use poor grammar while doing so.

Acethor
20-01-2010, 06:05 AM
Grammar Squad is now publicly joinable! This doesn't really change the joining process for new members that much, though. What it means is, that now instead of posting here, anyone who wishes to join must go to their User Control Panel (My Settings), Scroll down to the Group Memberships tab, and apply to join the Grammar Squad group (by selecting the appropriate radio button and clicking Join Group). After you have done so, then I'll begin the process as normal - the test review will be sent to the person, and if they complete the task, will be added. Here is a quick link to your UserCP, just so you'll know what I'm talking about: UserCP (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/profile.php?do=editusergroups)

Feel free to still chat in here though :D

The Fifth Horseman
20-01-2010, 07:01 PM
This does change one thing: You will be added as soon as Acethor approves your join request (ie a lot faster than it would be if you had to wait for an admin to take notice)

Acethor
14-02-2010, 04:37 AM
MikeK and awils1, please respond to my PMs or your applications will be disqualified.

awils1
15-02-2010, 11:04 AM
MikeK and awils1, please respond to my PMs or your applications will be disqualified.

I am :)

Sorry for being so late - I have had the busiest RL week in history.

Acethor
16-02-2010, 12:54 AM
I have had the busiest RL week in history.

We all have those don't we :)

Thanks for your check, I've now added you to GS. Welcome to da cru! You should now see a new forum.

Acethor
17-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Welcome to the club, MikeK!

Everyone give him a warm welcome :D

g33k0ry
06-03-2010, 03:54 AM
I'll sign up, I'm proficient at using correct grammar.
i canz spall reel wal!

Acethor
29-03-2010, 01:03 PM
Gondring and CyberDiablo have been removed from the waiting list since it's been like 100 years and I haven't heard anything from them. So they are both officially disqualified. Meanwhile I have two new requests from CaitSith and Kirok. The reviews that were reserved for the first pair will be given to the new pair as their test.

@g33kory: I will send you a PM with a test review for you to check as well.

Note: Also, to all new members and current ones I will be taking another survey of member activity and those who were found to be inactive will be unceremoniously removed.

ivorybow
08-05-2010, 11:38 AM
I will be happy to do this. I am a proofreader and I have been trained all the way through graduate school level for technical and analytical writing. I'm good!!! :max:
Carolyn

Lately, the number of active members in our Grammar Squad has reached an all-time low. We would like to remedy this by searching for new recruits!

How about it? We need dedicated and hard-working people to join our elite cadre, and help in the never-ending struggle against mispronunciations and horrible typos! It's very simple really. :)

scorpionr95
08-05-2010, 03:22 PM
I've already applied and I am waiting for the PM. I also feel like I am qualified. I am an excellent reader over all and I can't help but correct a persons grammer mistakes. It takes alot of self control to not do that in society...

Luchsen
08-05-2010, 04:35 PM
I've already applied and I am waiting for the PM. I also feel like I am qualified. I am an excellent reader over→←all and I can't help but correct a person's grammar mistakes. It takes a↔lot of self control to not do that in society...

:D

Professor Oak
08-05-2010, 04:44 PM
I will be happy to do this. I am a proofreader and I have been trained all the way through graduate school level for technical and analytical writing. I'm good!
Carolyn
You're good, but I'm better!

Luchsen
09-05-2010, 08:49 AM
Now, is it I'm best or I'm the best?

Ribon
09-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Now, is it I'm best or I'm the best?

The latter. ;)

Acethor
11-05-2010, 03:34 AM
Sorry for my absence... PMs have been sent to g33k0ry, ivorybow, scorpionr95, Professor Oak, and Zoltan Mihaly, with instructions included inside on how to complete your tasks. ^_^

Whew.

rx7chick
16-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Sorry for my absence... PMs have been sent to g33k0ry, ivorybow, scorpionr95, Professor Oak, and Zoltan Mihaly, with instructions included inside on how to complete your tasks. ^_^

Whew.

HI there, ivorybow here and I never received the email you mention here. Shall we try again?

christhecoolboy
29-05-2010, 03:44 PM

Grammar Squad work consists of checking reviews for any grammatical or structural mistakes. These reviews are either ones that belong to games that are on-site already, or ones that belong to games that are waiting to be added.

If you would like to join, simply post here, and you will be added into the Grammar Squad. The secret Grammar forum (which common ordinary users cannot see) will then be unlocked for you, and therein you will find the rules, as well the necessary equipment for your task.

I'm not 1000% on English, even though I am english, but... I'll join...

Professor Oak
29-05-2010, 03:47 PM
I'm not 1000% on English, even though I am english, but... I'll join...
Nobody is 1000% in regards to doing anything and if they are, they would be lying.

christhecoolboy
29-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Nobody is 1000% in regards to doing anything and if they are, they would be lying.

I know...

Acethor
29-05-2010, 04:15 PM
@rx7chick: Not an email, but a PM which you can access via the "Private Messages" link at the top right of the site after you login. Also, she needs to apply via her User CP, I outlined the instructions on how to go about that here (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showpost.php?p=394635&postcount=52). (It helps to read the whole thread before posting)

@christhecoolboy: You're welcome to join if you'd like :) I'll send you a PM with a test review for you to check. (Sorry, forgot to mention that you need to do the same thing as above.)

@Professor Oak: But we can still put 1000% of our effort into it. Be the best that you can be.

christhecoolboy
29-05-2010, 04:29 PM
@rx7chick: Not an email, but a PM which you can access via the "Private Messages" link at the top right of the site after you login. Also, she needs to apply via her User CP, I outlined the instructions on how to go about that here (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showpost.php?p=394635&postcount=52). (It helps to read the whole thread before posting)

@christhecoolboy: You're welcome to join if you'd like :) I'll send you a PM with a test review for you to check. (Sorry, forgot to mention that you need to do the same thing as above.)

@Professor Oak: But we can still put 1000% of our effort into it. Be the best that you can be.

I'd love to join, I have done the thing that was said about Control Panel, I hope to get that message sometime soon...

Acethor
29-05-2010, 04:38 PM
PM sent :)

Acethor
07-06-2010, 05:06 PM
ayoeness, please check your PMs. I sent you a message awhile ago.

ayoeness
08-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Thank you.

I was just a bit too slow this weekend to do anything that involved thinking. :O)

Acethor
09-06-2010, 04:48 PM
It has been more than a month, and I have still not heard from Kirok, g33k0ry, Zoltan Mihaly, or even ivorybow for that matter.

The first three of those people have just been removed from the waiting list, and their applications rejected, and ivorybow will follow if she doesn't respond as well.

If any of you people still want to join in the future, please apply again via your User CP. Thank you!

FarSeerPT
22-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Can i join?
I dont have much time but, a little help is better than none.

arete
24-07-2010, 04:45 PM
I'll let you have a review to correct on Monday - and then organise you trainee status :) All help is much appreciated. Are you a first-language speaker?

Acethor
25-07-2010, 10:03 AM
Arete before you do anything heroic, I think we need to consider whether we have enough checkers, and whether we should allow second language speakers to join. As you probably know, the checks of some second language speakers resulted in ... a messed up review.

Let me know what you think :)

arete
25-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Yay, you're back!! You can take it from here :D

eugene425
25-07-2010, 04:54 PM
Yay, you're back!! You can take it from here :D
I would love to connect to any organization. But I do not know I would have been useful?:wacko:

The Fifth Horseman
25-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Eugene, in order to help in the Grammar Squad, the applicant must be fluent in written English. And you're not.

eugene425
25-07-2010, 07:12 PM
Eugene, in order to help in the Grammar Squad, the applicant must be fluent in written English. And you're not.
Maybe so, but if I can in this section help me to speak a foreign language?:woot:

The Fifth Horseman
25-07-2010, 07:26 PM
No. That's not what the Grammar Squad is for.

Acethor
27-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Review for checking sent to FarSeerPT. Please apply to join the Grammar Squad via your User Control Panel.

Viking Zombie
03-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Hell, if you're still recruiting I'll join! Test me! I know my grammar. ;)

arete
03-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Hell, if you're still recruiting I'll join! Test me! I know my grammar. ;)

And your undead viking dress sense ^^

Viking Zombie
03-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Uh... Thanks? Lol.

sam111986
06-08-2010, 02:14 AM
i am up for grammar squad

Acethor
13-08-2010, 05:17 AM
Please apply for membership via your User CP (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/usercp.php) (under Group Memberships) in order for me to properly validate the authenticity of your application.

Acethor
19-08-2010, 06:30 PM
PM sent to Viking Zombie. Awaiting reply.

ayoeness and ivorybow have been removed from the waiting list. If you happen to be one of these people, please apply again for membership.

(Geez, what's with people asking to join then disappearing forever... O.o)

ayoeness
19-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Heey!

I joined and left again due to my lack of grammar skills. :cry:

I will politely ask again, when I have acquired the appropriate skills.

I resent being accused of disappearing. ^_^

Acethor
20-08-2010, 01:48 AM
Oh, you're right...

My mistake. Sorry :)

jfritzyb
09-10-2010, 08:19 PM
I'd like to join the grammer squad

Professor Oak
09-10-2010, 08:55 PM
I'd like to join the grammer squad
"I'd like to join the Grammar Squad." is what you should have said, as 'grammer' should be spelt as 'grammar'. Also, you forgot the full stop at the end of your message, just had to point that out.

jfritzyb
09-10-2010, 09:38 PM
"I'd like to join the Grammar Squad." is what you should have said, as 'grammer' should be spelt as 'grammar'. Also, you forgot the full stop at the end of your message, just had to point that out.
:headslap:
Ok, a rephrase...I'd like to join the Grammar Squad....

Pretty please--with a side of sushi on top of that order of haggis??

Professor Oak
09-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Pretty please--with a side of sushi on top of that order of haggis??

It should be "Pretty please, could I have a side of sushi to go with that order of haggis?", you see... simple things really.

DarthHelmet86
10-10-2010, 03:34 AM
If you would like to join apply through the My Settings >Group Memberships option.

jfritzyb
10-10-2010, 04:44 AM
If you would like to join apply through the My Settings >Group Memberships option.
k

Acethor
10-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Please, when applying for Grammar Squad it actually helps to use good English in your application post... wouldn't you agree?

Acethor
10-10-2010, 05:47 PM
PM sent to jfritzyb.

Viking Zombie and FarSeerPT have been removed from the waiting list and their applications denied. If you wish to re-apply you may do so.

Acethor
19-10-2010, 07:31 AM
jfritzyb has been added to the Squad. A warm welcome for him please :)

MirzaGhalib
21-10-2010, 06:18 PM
Sign me up. I love Abandonia and will do whatever I can to help. Send me a review, stat.

Jaksen
21-10-2010, 06:52 PM
I applied through the Group Memberships section already, but wanted to mention my interest in helping out here as well.

DarthHelmet86
21-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Thank you to both of you, once the group leader comes online he will send you a test review. Never fear your time to help us is soon at hand.

chris_doom_k.
21-10-2010, 09:47 PM
I think i could help, sign me in, this site is wonderful.

SupermansDead
21-10-2010, 09:54 PM
I'd definitely be interested in helping out. I majored in English Lit w/ a Writing Emphasis and have done all sorts of freelance writing and editing.

I don't post on the site or interact with the forums much, but I love the site and would be happy to join if I can be of assistance. Abandonia's reconnected me with dozens of my favorite games from back in the day (and allowed me to finally beat the Lost Vikings, haha)!

Please send me a test review and I'll be happy to go over it! Thanks! :2thumbs:

eclipsespilce
21-10-2010, 10:28 PM
Please, let me help. I'm begging you! I know the difference between Your and You're, and can construct a proper sentence without help!

LoganPThompson
21-10-2010, 10:52 PM
Hello,
I am ready to be a part of the grammar squad. I'm awaiting instructions!
See Ya,
Logan

mrpeople1984
22-10-2010, 12:46 AM
Sign me up.

dpolsrod
22-10-2010, 01:58 AM
I would love to be in the grammar squad.
I'm constantly criticizing bad grammar when I read articles on the net, so being able to help by fixing such articles would be great!
Also, my English is very proficient so I hope I can help out. :OK:

spugintrntl
22-10-2010, 03:08 AM
Sorry if I'm a little late to the party... I'm an English major who has an unhealthy obsession with editing and not enough to do. If you think you can use me, I'd be glad to help.

Ramsey
22-10-2010, 04:05 AM
It's funny, really - I talked to Kosta years ago about fixing up some of the reviews and posts... I'm excited to get back on the horse! Just let me know where to go and what to do.

Ramsey

speedymouse1996
22-10-2010, 05:20 AM
I'm a bit new here (and won't have a lot of spare time), but am reasonably proficient in English grammar and spelling if you guys think I might be of assistance.

I understand if there's a minimum membership period and/or post count before appointment to these positions though. :)

Me too. I am new here and am not free very much. But I am willing to give it a try. It is a good chance for me to improve MY OWN ENGLISH.:2thumbs:

Please let me join in. PLEAAAAAAAAAASE:crybaby:

DarthHelmet86
22-10-2010, 06:04 AM
Thank you to all the people applying here, make sure to also apply through the My Settings>Group Memberships page and the Head of the Grammar squad will start sending out test reviews when he is on.

ganjin
22-10-2010, 12:09 PM
You seem to have plenty of volunteers now, but will be happy to assist if required. Recently retired and looking for pastimes! Many years writing and gaming experience. Great to see this renewed interest in DOS. (Who needs Windows?) Look forward to hearing from you.

coolkidmoa
22-10-2010, 12:53 PM
I would like to apply

I think that I would be perfect because bad grammar and spelling really annoys me and correcting it makes me happier

No but seriously bad grammar isTHE bain of my life.

DarthHelmet86
22-10-2010, 01:07 PM
PM's with test review have been sent to, Brasas, eclipsesolice, McTeddy, LoganPThompson, Jaksen, mrpeople1984, geneslamm, dpolsrod, MirzaGhalib, spugintrntl, chris_doom_k., Ramsey, SupermansDead, speedymouse1996, ganjin, and coolkidmoa. Awaiting replies. Remember if you have not already apply under My Settings > Group Memberships or I will not be able to add you, if you have not done so already.

Marleyman
22-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Go on, I have spare time in my life, I can help out too.

Gambit
23-10-2010, 03:37 AM
I've applied.

I didn't mention this there, but I HATE apostrophe abuse. Passionately. :rant:

Capo
23-10-2010, 02:18 PM
Too many people, something strange here..:mhh:

DarthHelmet86
23-10-2010, 02:43 PM
Nothing strange here Capo, we advertised for more squadies and here they are.

themindisacity
24-10-2010, 09:38 AM
If you're still looking for editors, I would love to join the team at Abandonia.

si_vincent
24-10-2010, 10:06 AM
I confess I'm a bit busy this morning, and haven't read through the previous 12 pages, but if you're still looking for volunteers, I am English (not that that is any particular guarantee of proficiency in the language!), got A's in English Lit. and Lang. in high school, and worked as a proof-reader for a small company for a year or so back in 2006.
Love the site, be happy to volunteer some free time.

Vincent

pgen
25-10-2010, 05:09 AM
Join me up. I'm educated.

ffxplayer
25-10-2010, 05:45 PM
I am an English major who would enjoy helping!

eclipsespilce
27-10-2010, 12:43 AM
I got so excited when I replied, I had to re-do my submission. Then, because it was bugging the hell out of me, I had to go and edit the message I got from the Abandonia crew, because IT had errors in it. Please, let me in...

PGB99
28-10-2010, 03:05 AM
Sign me up, I'll help when I can.

blueoake
30-10-2010, 11:17 PM
I'm an English major and writing consultant. Let me in.

Lotus Watcher
10-11-2010, 12:54 AM
I'll red-ink-ninja some a review or two a month, I love this place!

GetDaMemo
10-11-2010, 12:48 PM
I'll help too.

Lockjaw
14-11-2010, 07:51 AM
I'd be happy to help out on the Grammar Squad! Let me know how/where/when/why/who/etc. etc. I talk english gooder!

Lotus Watcher
17-11-2010, 02:00 AM
I posted a message a few days ago saying I would be willing to help with the grammar squad. Are you guys just backed up or will I not receive a message if you're filled up on helpers.

TotalAnarchy
17-11-2010, 03:55 AM
I posted a message a few days ago saying I would be willing to help with the grammar squad. Are you guys just backed up or will I not receive a message if you're filled up on helpers.

Have you applied through My Settings> Group Memberships?

KingMudkip
18-11-2010, 02:05 PM
I don't have a ton of free time, but I'm willing to do what I can.

Cycieties
05-12-2010, 02:36 AM
I'd be a part of the Grammar Squad except I'm not on often (lol). There'd have to be some sort of place I could go to quickly to check up on any new reviews.

Dave
06-12-2010, 07:29 PM
I'm sorry guys but Grammar Squad recruitment is temporary stopped until further notice.
Thank you all for your disposability and sorry for the inconvinience but we are renewing procedures and preparing tutorials for new members. :)

Ohne Mitleid
19-12-2010, 12:18 AM
:oh:

DarthHelmet86
19-12-2010, 06:39 AM
Dave isn't a member of the Grammar squad and he speaks Italian not English as his first language. Basically what I am saying is don't make fun of someone who doesn't deserve it. :mischief:

Ohne Mitleid
19-12-2010, 08:33 AM
:omg:
:OK:

peyre
20-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Sure, I'll help if you still need volunteers. Not sure how much I'll be able to contribute, but what I do should be high quality.

person on extremes
21-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Is there any room for me?

I may not be the best grammer person- but I do know grammer, and I may be new.Okay, ALOT new. I am sure I can help and I definetly want to help. If you do let me in then I will promise to do well.

Dave
22-12-2010, 12:12 PM
I'm sorry but we aren't recruiting at the moment.
However stay tuned because we'll probably contact you using the PM system when ready.

person on extremes
23-12-2010, 03:49 AM
alright thanks.

Astaldo711
18-01-2011, 12:31 AM
I'm constantly being asked to proofread and correct my co-workers emails before they are sent to customers. I'll be happy to help out when you are recruiting once more. :D

Dave
20-01-2011, 01:07 PM
Recruitments are opened again. :)

Apply through "My Settings (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/usercp.php) => Group Memberships"

Grammar team task isn't easy, they have to correct game reviews from mistakes and other horrible language abominations! :p

For this reason we will send a test to all new members in order to verify their skills.

If you pass the test you are in, if you don't...well don't worry! ;)
I'm sure you can contribute to Abandonia in other ways like many did.
(Translating, uploading content, recording YouTube videos...).

Ohne Mitleid
20-01-2011, 07:08 PM
I don't know if I would have time in the future to dedicate to this. However, the following reviews need correction, as far as I can tell:

7th Legion - under the Notes section, last sentence - spelling: "...overwriting the oringal file, and play!" Should be 'original'

007 - License to Kill - last paragraph (typo?): "...fan and, offcourse, any Bond fan." Should be 'of course' instead of 'offcourse'

1-0 Soccer Manager. Rough English in spots. Suggest possible rework.

1000 Miglia
- Second paragraph, second sentence: "Manufactures needed to decrease..." Should be 'Manufacturers'
- Second paragraph, third sentences: "It was fist thought that..." Should be 'first'
- Third paragraph, third sentence: "When you finished select the year..." Should be 'When you finish, ' or 'When you are finished, ' or 'When you have finished'
- Fourth paragraph, fifth sentence: "When you like to know where the hell you are..." Should be 'When you want to know' or 'When you would like to know'
- Last paragraph under How to Run the Game: "But no prob, it is includes." Should be 'included'

:whistling:hne

Dave
21-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Will show this to the group, thank you :)

DarthHelmet86
21-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Don't worry about that Dave I will find the pages and post them into the Grammar section. Thank you very much Ohne.

Well I might only post two of the pages into Grammar the other two I might just edit onsite since it's only a few changes.

Ohne Mitleid
22-01-2011, 01:19 AM
I have proofed the first 30 games listed on Abandonia, of which I have already posted 4. I don't know if this is the proper forum to be posting what I have found since it seems more like the Grammar Squad sign-up forum.

Could someone either redirect me to the proper venue/outlet or give me some guidance?

Thanks
Ohne

DarthHelmet86
24-01-2011, 08:56 AM
For other people wanting to join the squad please make sure you have allowed other users to PM you...otherwise I can not send you the review to test..and thus you can't get in.

captain38
25-01-2011, 05:41 AM
This is only my second post on this forum. However, grammar squad seemed to leap off the screen and into my being. Although I am no genius, I do appreciate the time and thought put forth in order to produce a decent post. Unfortunately, I have not a soul with whom I can PM. With that said, how do I join? Sign me up!

Jedal
03-02-2011, 05:16 AM
I was just reading the Jungle Strike review and was reminded of the grammar squad thread I accidentally found on google. Finding this thread is actually what re-introduced me to the site. I thought I would lurk until I found my first thing to change. I have, so I'm signing up for the error busters if you'll have me.

Anyway, Jungle Strike, near the bottom: "Graphics" is being used in the plural, and should be followed by "are" not "is."

DarthHelmet86
04-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Please sign up with under My Settings>Group Memberships and I will PM you a test review to for you to check with some rules on how we do so.

Make sure you have allowed other users to PM you so I can do this.

And thank you.

Phantom
01-04-2011, 07:27 PM
Hi to all.

A little bit old member here, not so often-posting though (shame on me!), but if you're still seeking for corrections and if 3-4 reviews per month is a good frequency, then I can help. :)

xXElRiCXx
08-05-2011, 06:25 PM
Hey, Donno if you still need people but I always have spare time, and would love to do this. Yes its my first post but I have been getting games off of the site for some time now.

BBCAKES
08-09-2011, 01:03 PM

well I'm not certain as to the means of registering but i would surely like to join your team. please provide me with the necessary information to register.
thanks in advance.

arete
08-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Can't you register for the site? :huh:

DarthHelmet86
12-09-2011, 12:41 PM
well I'm not certain as to the means of registering but i would surely like to join your team. please provide me with the necessary information to register.
thanks in advance.

First you need to be a member of the site, which is what Arete is talking about, second...well having used capitals where needed in that post would have helped (It's not a huge thing, this is an online forum after all, but the look of the thing still counts). But anyway sign up for the site and then go to My Settings > Group Memberships and click join group on the Grammar Squad and we will get back to you.

Japo
31-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Hi I'm new here, first post :P

I volunteer, bring the test (I know I could have cheated but I haven't)

TotalAnarchy
31-08-2012, 01:53 PM
Hi I'm new here, first post :P

I volunteer, bring the test (I know I could have cheated but I haven't)

I think you've passed the test already. The staff is already familiar with your English. :p

Japo
31-08-2012, 02:02 PM
Righto me lad! :P Well I'll leave my application here anyway...

Dave
31-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Too late, I've sent you the test in any case, have fun :p

SloveenEfsei
03-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Welcome :)
How can I join?

thatmexicanguy
20-03-2013, 03:06 AM
Always been a long-fan of Abandonia and I would love to help out the site in any way that I can. I figure reviewing, er, reviews wouldn't be too bad! So sign me up for the Grammar Squad if you still have slots available!

StaaViinsZ
01-09-2013, 09:45 AM
Always open to these types of tasks... I'm not always free during the week but I generally have a LOT of free time. Even during the week.:OK: I'm already looking into helping with the Magazine Abandoned Times, so we'll see what comes out of it all.