PDA

View Full Version : Ecstatica

Fubb
15-07-2009, 11:59 PM
a state of mind

Blah.

Ok, i installed the game to "c:/ecstatica" and after setup, it automatically went into the game, so thats good.

But once i closed the game, and wanted to play it again later, i ran into problems!

I tried, in DOSBox, to do;

mount -t cdrom f f:/
mount c c:/
f:
ECST8MEG.EXE

That worked, it went into the game, but i had 0 access to my save files because it said i needed to be playing off an installed version of the game. RAWR :E

So then did;
mount c c:/
c:
cd/ECSTATICA
ECST8MEG.EXE

and that time it said i didn't have the CD in the tray. <:E

All this time i had the ecstatica.iso mounted in Daemen Tools...so...halp :\

The Fifth Horseman
16-07-2009, 06:03 AM
Use IMGMOUNT to mount the ISO as DOSBox drive D.

dosraider
16-07-2009, 09:44 AM
Just tested the game in dosbox 0.73
First thing first: the install help file is completely outdated, forget it.

Use IMGMOUNT to mount the ISO as D: directly in dosbox, don't use deamon tools.
imgmount d "X:\path\ecstatica.iso" -t iso
Replace the X:\path\ by your CORRECT drive/path

Don't forget to mount a virtual C: ( Do NOT, NEVER use C:\ root !!!!)
inputs:

d:
setup

select soundblaster for sound, full install (60 megs)
accept c:\ecstatic

To run the game afterwards:
Mount your virtual C: and ISO as D: again,
inputs from C: prompt:
cd ecstatic
ecstatic

That's it. Runs perfect in dosbox 0.73, default install.

==>> Ah yeah, turn off numlock you'll need them numpad keys .... :whistling:

Fubb
16-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Erm, that would work, assuming it would actually let me install to c:\ecstatica. It gave me an "Invalid drive" sorta deal :notrust: and i followed your steps completly.

Sorry, this is the first time i've actually had to install a game using an img mount in DOSbox, so im in unventured territory hear.

dosraider
16-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Erm, that would work, assuming it would actually let me install to c:\ecstatica. It gave me an "Invalid drive" sorta deal :notrust: and i followed your steps completly.
In stead of posting such things, PLEASE give relevant info, as is:
-> Your OS?
-> dosbox version?
-> default install or did you alter the cfg file?
-> All your mount lines, and detailed please.
-> Not a 'sorta deal' message, but the correct message you get.

So someone can tell you were it goes wrong, we hardly can guess where things go wrong without precise and detailed info.

I only can say that I've installed/run the game without any problems, so it's pretty safe to assume you did something wrong, capiche?

A first guess reading your post would be:
Wrong virtual C: mount.

Next guess:
It's not c:\ecstatica where you must install it, that's impossible for a dos based installer, but c:\ecstatic , max 8 chars in dos.

Skyfly
16-07-2009, 05:07 PM
In stead of posting such things, PLEASE give relevant info, as is:
-> Your OS?
-> dosbox version?
-> default install or did you alter the cfg file?
-> All your mount lines, and detailed please.
-> Not a 'sorta deal' message, but the correct message you get.

So someone can tell you were it goes wrong, we hardly can guess where things go wrong without precise and detailed info.

I only can say that I've installed/run the game without any problems, so it's pretty safe to assume you did something wrong, capiche?

A first guess reading your post would be:
Wrong virtual C: mount.

Next guess:
It's not c:\ecstatica where you must install it, that's impossible for a dos based installer, but c:\ecstatic , max 8 chars in dos.

I am able to follow these instructions, I mount the folder where I keep oldgames, Mount c d:\oldgames. I IMGMOUNT d "d:\the ecstatica.iso location." I switch to d: and run setup-

'Can't create subdirectory' msgbox appears... I select sound card, SB, I select Full Install to C:ecstatic... HD chugs for a few seconds and drops out of DosBox. I only get two folders in my ECSTATIC directory. FILES and SAVED. I can't run ecstatica.bat, it isn't there...

A partial install copies the VIEWS/*.RAW files.

Am I to manually copy the files from the ISO to the ECSTATIC folder?

I have WINXP SP3, I have the newest DosBox0.73.

I can run the game with a Null install, from the iso drive, I get sound, I can't save the game, however.

dosraider
16-07-2009, 05:41 PM
IMGMOUNT d "d:\the ecstatica.iso location."
Is not a valid mount line.
to C:ecstatic
Is not a valid folder.

[Edit]
@Fubb:
Delete what you've done till now and start over from scratch IN dosbox.

Skyfly
16-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Is not a valid mount line.

Is not a valid folder.

[Edit]
@Fubb:
Delete what you've done till now and start over from scratch IN dosbox.

Sorry, I was posting in haste, the exact lines I used:

imgmount d "d:\oldgames\ecstatic.iso" -t iso

I renamed it to ecstatic.iso because the ecstat~1.iso didn't work either.

When I ran setup, it gave the default location, C:\ECSTATIC, that's what I used. I forgot the '\' in my previous post...

Aren't those correct?

DosBox has no problem setting up the imgmount. I can get to the d: drive and I can see all the game files. I can run setup. I can copy the game files to another folder. I just can't do a FULL install. Sometimes it hangs, sometimes I hear a static pop, maybe the sound card is an issue? SB Live 24 bit. Sometimes when it hangs, a large pixelated D:\ appears in the upper left corner.

I have played with sound, though, with a null install. I can play the game. I just can't save it, I need to install it to the HD to do that. I can't progress in the game without a save function. I am going to try it on another computer.

----------

Edit to add-

It just installed without a hitch on another computer. Don't know why. On the older computer, the game hangs at the 'copying files' msgbox. It never proceeds past ECSTATIC. On the newer computer, the FULL install wings by quickly listing all the files as they're copied...

dosraider
16-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Your mount lines are correct it seems.
Renaming the ISO doesn't affect the setup nor the running of the game (Tried it myself after reading your post).

What you could try: delete what you've done till now, eventually redownload the game (luckily it's a small one), maybe the download was corrupted?
Or it's your unzipper? I use 7zip.....

BTW, "SB live ? There is no SB live in the choices menu....., simply choose SOUNDBLASTER, works fine here.
If you meant your real hardware soundcard, nothing to see with what's emulated in dosbox.

Next thing that I tried to avoid that install problem:
Create a folder \ecstatic\ in your oldgames folder and copy EVERYTHING from the CD (or ISO if you can open that...) into the ecstatic folder, be sure to keep the subfolder structure intact.
Next run dosbox, mount the ISO as D: and run setup from it, choose again c:\ecstatic\ as install folder, and soundblaster, simply overwriting the files/folders in \ecstatic\
Works also.
Must mount the ISO to run the game.....

Skyfly
16-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Your mount lines are correct it seems.
Renaming the ISO doesn't affect the setup nor the running of the game (Tried it myself after reading your post).

What you could try: delete what you've done till now, eventually redownload the game (luckily it's a small one), maybe the download was corrupted?
Or it's your unzipper? I use 7zip.....

BTW, "SB live ? There is no SB live in the choices menu....., simply choose SOUNDBLASTER, works fine here.
If you meant your real hardware soundcard, nothing to see with what's emulated in dosbox.

Next thing that I tried to avoid that install problem:
Create a folder \ecstatic\ in your oldgames folder and copy EVERYTHING from the CD (or ISO if you can open that...) into the ecstatic folder, be sure to keep the subfolder structure intact.
Next run dosbox, mount the ISO as D: and run setup from it, choose again c:\ecstatic\ as install folder, and soundblaster, simply overwriting the files/folders in \ecstatic\
Works also.
Must mount the ISO to run the game.....

Thanks for sticking with this, dosraider, I appreciate it.

I added an edit in the previous post of mine. I was able to install and run it without a hitch on a newer computer.

For some reason, (the glitch) the FULL INSTALL hangs on my older computer. It never changes from ECSTATIC, though it processes FILES and SAVED folders into the C:\ECSTATIC folder, and that is it. If I do a partial install, it does run the list of files, the RAW files. So why would the Full install be interrupted or hanged up?

On my new computer, with a full install, it rapidly runs through the list of files that it copies.

dosraider
16-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Overlooked that edit of yours, sorry .

It's even simpler now to get it running on your older PC:
Simply copy the whole ecstatic folder from your newer one to your older one (USB key, CD RW, ...LAN ? whatever ....)
Once the game is installed, as long you use the same ISO mount ( D: I presume) it will work.
Just check that the files (if using a CD / CD RW) aren't set "read only"

That works.

To be 100% clear: the INSTALLED ecstatic folder from your virtual C: