PDA

View Full Version : Old password for EXE-ZIP files

Phantom
17-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Hi. I'm visiting Abandonia site a long time ago, even from the "old" site where everything was downloadable, before that ESA comes.

Anyway, those days I managed to download almost everything adventure game. For example Police Quest 4. It was downloadable before years from Abandonia site, but now it's not.

Some used an EXE-ZIP archive which was password protected. This was done from the Abandonia stuff. I'm not requesting to download a game, I'm just requesting to retrieve the password for the file that Abandonia stuff used to lock their archives.

If this is against the rules, I have to apologize. I really don't know if this is ok or not.

Thanks.

Dino
17-04-2009, 11:03 PM
Hi Amiga.Phantom!

Good to hear you followed Abandonia back in the old days. As far as I know, game archives on Abandonia are not supposed to be password-protected. At least I never bumped into that kind of archive.

Are you sure you downloaded that archive from Abandonia?

Phantom
17-04-2009, 11:06 PM
Hi Dino.

I barely used another site than Abandonia. So, I'm 90% sure that those downloads were done from this site. I have a variety of adventure games downloaded from Abandonia, but some were asking a code (like the Abandonia Reloaded site) in order to extract the files.

Dino
17-04-2009, 11:26 PM
I only downloaded some games from Reloaded and all of them were OK, but I didn't download much neither I know anything about their ways. They might have decided to add password to archives for some odd reason...

But I'm quite sure there were never any password-protected games on Abandonia. At least I never heard anything about adding passwords to archives. Maybe only some uploaded by mistake.

I don't know really... Maybe some other old member knows something about that.

EDIT: I tried to search the board for the issue you're having. Found only this (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=6448&highlight=password&page=7). So, try running it in DOSBox, uncheck read-only attribute if it exists on certain executables...

EDIT2: Please move this to Troubleshooting.

Frodo
18-04-2009, 01:07 AM
Hi Dino.

I barely used another site than Abandonia. So, I'm 90% sure that those downloads were done from this site. I have a variety of adventure games downloaded from Abandonia, but some were asking a code (like the Abandonia Reloaded site) in order to extract the files.

We don't use codes on Reloaded - never have. :oh:

Our reviews are linked to the author's own game page. And the games that are stored on Reloaded don't use any kind of password or code to extract the files. :max:

Eagle of Fire
18-04-2009, 03:39 AM
Like we discussed on the Chatbox, Dino, this would not have to do with Troubleshooting.

I'll be ready to help him make his game work as soon as he manage to get it out of the box though. :)

Phantom
18-04-2009, 09:20 AM
We don't use codes on Reloaded - never have. :oh:

Our reviews are linked to the author's own game page. And the games that are stored on Reloaded don't use any kind of password or code to extract the files. :max:

Hi Frodo. Please check this: http://www.reloaded.org/download/Chinese-Checkers/167/

It says at "Technical Notes" that the archive is self-extracting and you need to enter "Master" as the password.

@ Dino and other admins

I can send you the file via e-mail if you want to check it. Maybe it will remind you of something. But I think that old users/admins will remember that. I really don't know. Thanks for your answers though.

The Fifth Horseman
18-04-2009, 09:33 AM
We never used self-extracting archives here on Abandonia. Neither did we use password-protected ones.

Please specify which games are requesting a password. Screenshots would be appreciated.

Phantom
18-04-2009, 09:38 AM
I have approximately 10 games that request a password. These archives are not simply ZIP files, but self-extracting (EXE-ZIP).

Examples of games that I discovered yesterday were Police Quest 4, Peppers Adventure in Time and some other Sierra adventure games (not all though). Hope that helps.

_r.u.s.s.
18-04-2009, 11:43 AM
not abandonia then...
or if you think that it is, have you tried www.abandonia.com, abandonia or abandonia.com?

i might also suggest some of these (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=zip+dictionary+attack&btnG=Search)

Phantom
18-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Yes, I've tried the above but no luck. I remember that the code was so easy (it was the same for all archives, and it was related to the site), that's why I didn't write it down. Damn! :(

Anyway, the only option is to use a recovery password tool.

_r.u.s.s.
18-04-2009, 12:48 PM
definitely give those tools a go then, if you say it was simple. some brute force dictionary attack should be real effective in that case

Frodo
18-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Hi Frodo. Please check this: http://www.reloaded.org/download/Chinese-Checkers/167/

It says at "Technical Notes" that the archive is self-extracting and you need to enter "Master" as the password.

@ Dino and other admins

I can send you the file via e-mail if you want to check it. Maybe it will remind you of something. But I think that old users/admins will remember that. I really don't know. Thanks for your answers though.

Reviews are linked to the author's own gamepage. That review is also linked to the author's own gamepage (ImagiSoft). It is their gamepage, and it was them that created the password. We at Reloaded don't put passwords on any archive. Why would we? :max:

Chris
26-04-2009, 12:39 AM
Phew.. I digged out something from a very old version of the site. *wipes off some dust

IMPORTANT NOTE: When unzipping the files you will be prompted for a password. Just enter the URL of our site without http://. (password: come.to/abandonia)

Maybe this is what you are looking for..

Phantom
27-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the info mate. I'll try this asap and I'll inform you here. Thanks again.