PDA

View Full Version : Firewall

Kon-Tiki
22-12-2004, 08:04 PM
Anybody know of a good, free firewall that can be installed on XP Home Edition?

evilded
22-12-2004, 08:08 PM
Zone alarm.

Kon-Tiki
22-12-2004, 08:09 PM
Heard quite alot of things 'bout it... nonsensical stuff that one does, so am not too eager to take that one.

FreeFreddy
22-12-2004, 08:10 PM
I use it too. Can only recommend it...

Havell
22-12-2004, 08:13 PM
I know that a recent version of Zonealarm wouldn't work with other firewalls and would just block everything and that's what led me to get rid of it, I don't know if it's been updated since that.

Kon-Tiki
22-12-2004, 08:15 PM
Kerio Personal Firewall seems to be a good option too... anybody heard 'bout that one?

FreeFreddy
22-12-2004, 08:15 PM
Well, I didn't use other firewall besides ZoneAlarm at all, and I have ZoneAlarm PRO too, so I didn't encounter just about any troubles with it...
Originally posted by Kon-Tiki@Dec 22 2004, 10:15 PM
Kerio Personal Firewall seems to be a good option too... anybody heard 'bout that one?
I heard that this one is good, also.

Eagle of Fire
22-12-2004, 08:28 PM
I use ZA too and I can only praise it. Never encoutered a problem and it's always active even if my explorer.exe fall appart (and God knows it does at time).

Could you bother telling us what is your grudge against ZA Kon-Tiki? Would like to know.

Kon-Tiki
22-12-2004, 08:31 PM
Grudge not, but I've heard things like it being too picky, alarming even when somebody just talks to you on Msn... stuff like that. I dunno which source I've had it from, though. Been too long.

Eagle of Fire
22-12-2004, 08:32 PM
Your source was obvious bad informed or did not know how to use a firewall prior to anything else. ;)

evilded
22-12-2004, 08:37 PM
Depends what it is set to. If ou have everything set to high, then yeah, its gonna scream when anything internet-related occurs. I have it personalized and its as good as it gets... :ok:

FreeFreddy
22-12-2004, 08:49 PM
It never blocked me on MSN or like. Just the first time a program is installed ZoneAlarm asks if that programm should be allowed to enter the net. After that ZoneAlarm remembers the answer and behaves accordingly to it every new time.

mouse31e
22-12-2004, 09:11 PM
I've used ZA pro and free versions and neither of them have ever given me any problems. I did turn off the email scanning though - I found it a little bit aggressive!

evilded
22-12-2004, 09:38 PM
It can definitly be an agressive program. I find that youve gotta set it up comletely right away. Set all the setting first off, or it will annoy you so much later on.

Kon-Tiki
22-12-2004, 09:59 PM
Installed KPF, and it seems to run smoothly. Does everything on the background and if you check the logs, it'll show you what it removed and what it blocked. MSN Homepage got quite some crap, it seems :D

Titan
22-12-2004, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Kon-Tiki@Dec 22 2004, 11:59 PM
Installed KPF, and it seems to run smoothly. Does everything on the background and if you check the logs, it'll show you what it removed and what it blocked. MSN Homepage got quite some crap, it seems :D
I also run Kerio...it's a beuty!

Koen
23-12-2004, 06:31 AM
Sygate must be a good firewall. I use zonealarm myself (works perfect), but some people like sygate more... Worth trying it. :ok:

The Niles
23-12-2004, 08:07 AM
Zonealarm gave me all sorts of problem when I used it.

Eagle of Fire
23-12-2004, 08:32 AM
Again, I'd like to know which kind of problems you might have run into when running ZA if you don't mind. Just out of curiosity.

Tuttle
23-12-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Dec 23 2004, 08:02 PM
Again, I'd like to know which kind of problems you might have run into when running ZA if you don't mind. Just out of curiosity.
I've seen a lot of machines where "disabling" Zone Alarm left rules in place, and uninstalling it left a machine with no network connectivity whatsoever. I've had to walk people through the manual uninstall instructions (http://65.200.195.204/noHoldCust25/Prod_1/Articles55646/CompleteUninstallNonNT.html) far too many times.

Rogue
23-12-2004, 01:20 PM
I never had problem with zone alarm. Had only once problem with Sygate, but was able to fix it.

Eagle of Fire
23-12-2004, 10:24 PM
I've seen a lot of machines where "disabling" Zone Alarm left rules in place, and uninstalling it left a machine with no network connectivity whatsoever. I've had to walk people through the manual uninstall instructions far too many times.

Yeah, and I know a lot of people (including my brother) who have the stupid and nasty habit to delete the program folder when they "want" to "uninstall" a program on windows. Problem is, most of the time the uninstall informations are stored on that folder. If you really want to completely uninstall a program in Windows, you need to go thru the add/remove program in the option folder.

If you don't, you might run into random problems like not being able to reinstall old games (especially Sierra is prone to this) or double lines in registery.

This is a BKAC problem and I don't count it as a real problem IMHO.

Kon-Tiki
23-12-2004, 10:47 PM
Only one way to do it decent:
1) Control Panel -> Software
2) Check if the program's in the list there.
If it is, choose Remove while the program's highlighted, then go to 6)
If it isn't, keep following these lines.
3) Go to Start->Program Files->The program and look for an option called Uninstall or Unwise.
If there is one, click it, then go to 6)
If there isn't, keep following these lines.
4) Go to your program's folder.
5) Look for a file called Uninstall or Unwise.
If it is there, run it, then go to 6)
If it isn't, keep following these steps.
6) Remove the folder of the program (if it's still there) by pressing Shift-Delete.

Tuttle
24-12-2004, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Dec 24 2004, 09:54 AM
This is a BKAC problem and I don't count it as a real problem IMHO.
It's not just user error. Sometimes the uninstall process just plain doesn't work properly.

Eagle of Fire
24-12-2004, 08:28 AM
Yes, I guess. Just like the 5% of all the users of any programs which happen not to work with their system in particular? :rolleyes:

While I understand it can happen, it's sure not a problem which would (or should) be an argument against the program itself.

The Niles
24-12-2004, 10:45 AM
My zone-alarm problems.

1] couldn't get a connection through it for playing games with out a very elaborate process involving several reboots.

2] Animated gifs would not display.

3] some ports were left open that should have been closed.

4] caused problems with several P2P programs.

My favorite firewall to date has been Norton but I don't have the money to pay for it right now.

Rogue
24-12-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by The Picard@Dec 24 2004, 06:45 AM
3] some ports were left open that should have been closed.
What ports?

As for other issues, you might have done something wrong in your settings, as I can see all animated pictures, and I am able to play net games.

Kon-Tiki
24-12-2004, 02:49 PM
That again is part of the beauty of KPF. I installed it, and it worked fine without having to fiddle with the settings. Still checked them to make sure, but they were all set perfectly fine :ok:

evilded
24-12-2004, 04:27 PM
You have to customize ZL for it to work the way you want it to...

But tit works perfect for me after 5 minutes of installing.

Danny252
24-12-2004, 04:46 PM
this link,
http://www.hackerwatch.org/probe/?affid=0-3&langid=1
is a site which will test your firewall. takes a few minutes but according to it I'm running an inpenetrable machine :P

Eagle of Fire
24-12-2004, 05:48 PM
Packets were successfully sent to your computer.* The server was unable to obtain a connection or any traffic from your computer.* This generally indicates that your firewall blocked the traffic successfully.

If you did not see an event warning it may indicate that the traffic did not reach your computer at all.

This could be due to any of the following reasons:

You are connecting to the Internet through a proxy server.* When we attempted to connect back to the IP address your web traffic came from we actually were connecting to the proxy server, not your computer.
You are behind a corporate firewall which is redirecting traffic in an unexpected manner.
You are connecting to the Internet through a NAT (network address translator).* When we attempted to connect back to the IP address your web traffic came from we actually were connecting to the proxy server, not your computer.
In any of these cases you will not see an event notification on your computer because our connection attempt did not reach your computer.* In any case, your computer is secure.
My firewall have shows it blocked it.
Test complete.

No open ports were found.
ZA got a report on each port intrusion attemp.

I seems to be pretty secure. :D

JJXB
24-12-2004, 06:14 PM
firewalls never work with my computer now (and i can't check if the windows firewall is on because the firewall options don't show on my internet connection :ranting:) i can't system restore as i disabled it (i needed the disk space) and im not willing to reinstall windows (lost the xp disc and i have the computer running as i want it)

The Niles
24-12-2004, 07:30 PM
Zone alarm works for some people but not for others. I have heard many different people and some had the same problems as I had others had other problems and yet other had no problems at all. The firewall i use now works fine for me and once I have the money I will likely get Norton back.

JJXB
24-12-2004, 07:33 PM
i mean no firewalls work on my computer

Eagle of Fire
24-12-2004, 07:41 PM
That's impossible JJXB, you probably need to configure it to your system for it to work.

JJXB
24-12-2004, 08:09 PM
i have tried several firewalls and configured them properly and none have worked

Eagle of Fire
24-12-2004, 09:14 PM
Did you disable WindowsXP built-in firewall?

JJXB
24-12-2004, 09:59 PM
firewalls never work with my computer now (and i can't check if the windows firewall is on because the firewall options don't show on my internet connection :ranting:) i can't system restore as i disabled it (i needed the disk space) and im not willing to reinstall windows (lost the xp disc and i have the computer running as i want it)
thats what i posted before, now read it to get the full jist of my problem.

mouse31e
24-12-2004, 10:09 PM
Firewall settings are in Security Center in the Control Panel if you're running Service Pack 2 Firewall! Not sure about pre-service pack 2! :crazy:

JJXB
25-12-2004, 12:06 AM
im running pre-sp2 and not planning on installing sp2

Rogue
25-12-2004, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by JJXB@Dec 24 2004, 08:06 PM
im running pre-sp2 and not planning on installing sp2
Why?

I installed it on more then 20 computers and did not have a single problem. Works fine, you can turn of features you don't like (i never disabled anything), and you'll get good pop-up blocker, free firewall, and couple nice goodies.

JJXB
25-12-2004, 05:12 AM
im a pc gamer and i don't want it to screw up games and apps i use. and not to mention my key isn't valid with sp2 (don't ask)