PDA

View Full Version : game sound on mac

Ash Lambert
29-01-2009, 12:46 PM
Hey can anyone help?

I have bought a mac computer and have downloaded games from this site, i got discworld 1 and 2 and can't get either one to have anything. I know there is no speech for disc 1 but i know music is on it cos i got it working on windows.
any ideas guys?:oh:

Japo
29-01-2009, 01:33 PM
Which version of Windows did you manage to run them in? Most games here are for DOS, they may run natively in Windows 95/98 but newer versions are a different story just like Mac or Linux. Use DOSBox. There are tutorials in this forum, although they have a few Windows specifics, but you may easily be able to figure the Mac equivalent, especially if you read DOSBox's readme. There are also frontends to make DOSBox easier, for example for Mac: http://boxerapp.com/

The Fifth Horseman
29-01-2009, 01:35 PM
You need to use DOSBox.
There is a Mac version downloadable from the official site.

dosraider
29-01-2009, 02:28 PM
This can also help:
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=8933
Scroll down for Mac.

......And next time buy a PC.

Ash Lambert
03-02-2009, 09:17 AM
This can also help:
http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=8933
Scroll down for Mac.

......And next time buy a PC.

Ok. first of all I do have a windows xp :yawn:, I needed a Mac because of my job...
I did download the DOSbox for mac when i posted the original post, its called boxer. Most of the games I have downloaded have sound it's just discworld, and discworld 2. :max:(great games).
Another thing with discworld2 is the patch thats meant to fix the second half of the games script, doesn't work at all.:omg: Everything just says **null script** :doh: lucky for me i have completed the sequel about 12 times:thumbs: so i know where everything is, it's just a pain,:notrust: i like the script, and even with no sound still find the gags funny.:nuts:

If no one can help don't worry to much, it does seem to be just the 2 discworlds. everything that works with DOSbox works on the mac with sound.

I'll probably work it out some how, so if I work it out before anyone else i'll post it up just in case.

I'm thinking of splitting the harddrive so i can have the mac and windows working that may work??????:oh::oh::oh:

dosraider
03-02-2009, 11:21 AM
Did you ran the sound set program for discworld 2 correctly?
Dosbox default are:

SB 16 or better
A 220
IRQ 7
DMA 1

Though I can't give more details, don't know how to set the sound with a front-end.
Maybe ask on the BOXER forums?

A dual boot just for dosbox is a total overkill, dosbox works as fine on Mac as on PC.
Problem is there aren't much Mac users, so help is harder to find.

[Edit]
BTW, do you have the full games or a ripped version?
Most rips don't have all the soundfiles ....

Japo
03-02-2009, 08:36 PM
(I think Boxer isn't DOSBox for Mac, DOSBox for Mac can be found here just like for other systems:

http://dosbox.com/download.php?main=1

I think Boxer is a frontend whose installer has DOSBox included. I've also heard that, since there aren't so many frontends for Mac as for Windows, and since Boxer must actually be good, then Boxer is the most popular choice for Mac users of DOSBox.)

As per
There are tutorials in this forum, although they have a few Windows specifics, but you may easily be able to figure the Mac equivalent
Please click on the quote link below and read from:

If a game's lacking sound, chances are that it's not DOSBox's fault, but because we need to configure the game itself. Hardware interfacing was a pain in DOS compared to Windows, and every single game must be informed on where to find our sound board (not our computer's real one, but the DOS-compatible "virtual" one that DOSBox "emulates").

There you can also find the right default parameters, the same Dosraider just said.

It might be another problem, but let us know if this does it.

AztecCrawdaddy
26-02-2009, 10:11 PM
You need to use DOSBox.
There is a Mac version downloadable from the official site.

Anyone using a Mac is probably best off using a different form/version of DOSBox called Boxer. It works a little better and makes it easier to use some of DOSBox's options (such as toggling full screen) that you might otherwise not be able to use (on a MacBook, for example, because of the nonstandard keyboard).

The Fifth Horseman
27-02-2009, 12:02 PM
*coughcough*
Boxer is not a version of DOSBox.
It's a frontend for DOSBox...