Eagle of Fire
18-12-2004, 12:00 PM
Since the question was which one is your "favorite"... I voted DOS. :D

Sebatianos
18-12-2004, 12:02 PM
Yeah - I prefer typing to clicking too!

FreeFreddy
18-12-2004, 12:49 PM
I liked Dos when it was out there. But since Windows is better graphically as it's easier to use, I like it.

Eagle of Fire
18-12-2004, 12:51 PM
since Windows is better graphically as it's easier to use

Sorry, I think my brain imploded when I've read this completely false statement...

if... then... Gosup? Y/n/a?

FreeFreddy
18-12-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Dec 18 2004, 02:51 PM
Sorry, I think my brain imploded when I've read this completely false statement...
Still alive?..
I meant graphically better then Dos... :rolleyes:
Or would you like to say that Dos looks better than Windows?

Eagle of Fire
18-12-2004, 12:55 PM
Or would you like to say that Dos looks better than Windows?

Do I really have to answer this? :rolleyes:

What's not better looking then Windows?

Sebatianos
18-12-2004, 01:18 PM
Well there is this picture of ______________ insert a name of someone you really hate on the line.

QBiN
25-12-2004, 08:13 PM
OK, here's my take...

Some will argue windows is not the best looking. Many will argue windows is bloated. Almost all will argue Windows is the most vulnerable/targetted platform for viruses and the like.

But ask yourself one question... For the average joe, what other OS offers the convenience, the backwards-compatibility, relative-performance, universalism, choice of software, and availability of support as Windows?

I contend none.

Linux is fast and, if customized with a stunning window manager + theme, beautiful; but linux is only for the extreme technophile and has zero support.

The Mac's OSX is arguably fast and offers realtively high performance with a good look and established support. But where's your choice of software?

DOS... well, while DOS holds a special place in my memory, it's like saying the Amiga Workplace or CPM is your favorite OS.

I hate to say it, and I really mean "I HATE TO SAY IT", but Windows is really the best Jack of all trades (but master of none) out there.

While there are days that I pine to fire up the old 386/25, run Telemate and dial up my favorite BBS with my blazing USR Courier 9600 HST; usually reality sets in just about the time Windows update tells me I need to reboot to install the patch for the most recent vulnerability.

Cheers.

Eagle of Fire
25-12-2004, 08:28 PM
but Windows is really the best Jack of all trades (but master of none) out there.

Medium to everything, so good for nothing. :ok:

twisted-mystic
28-12-2004, 07:30 PM
While it may be a technophiles OS, Linux is very feature rich. My instructor put it best when he said:

"Linux is open source, which means thousands of programmers have looked at its code, removing bugs and the like for many years. It's no wonder it's stable".

Windows may have the better support, but overall, there are equivalent resources for Linux online.

Don't get me wrong, I love windows, the OS is easy to handle and it is the jack of all trades, and if you want something done, there is probably a wizard that will do it for you Automagically. Hell, setting up a small network can be done in under an hour, almost completely automatically.

Over all Linux has the best display and can give you the most of your PC. And with the various desktops that mimic Windows, Aunt AverageUser might not even notice a difference.

All hail the great penguin Tux :kosta:

Yamcha
28-12-2004, 08:43 PM
Its win98 SE and non other :D

Kon-Tiki
28-12-2004, 08:53 PM
Can't go wrong with this one (http://www.sics.se/~adam/contiki/).

Yamcha
28-12-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Kon-Tiki@Dec 28 2004, 11:53 PM
Can't go wrong with this one (http://www.sics.se/~adam/contiki/).
WOW you made an OS LOL

Kon-Tiki
28-12-2004, 09:01 PM
Nope, but I've been thinking of running it somewhere... and not on my comp (although, once my case's done... damn, got to kick my bro to help me out on it. He's good with powertools, while I don't have something to compensate, so I need his help on a couple of things for it), although it'll looks perfect for an OS with that name :D

Eagle of Fire
28-12-2004, 10:14 PM
Here is the next Windows version they been working on... It's only in beta, but you can already see how great and respectfull of traditions it is already. :sneaky:

Link. (http://www.funnyville.com/fv/pictures/winrg.shtml)

(someone tell me if it works, I don't have java enabled on my machine)

Koen
28-12-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Dec 28 2004, 11:14 PM
Here is the next Windows version they been working on... It's only in beta, but you can already see how great and respectfull of traditions it is already.* :sneaky:

Link. (http://www.funnyville.com/fv/pictures/winrg.shtml)

(someone tell me if it works, I don't have java enabled on my machine)
LOL!!!!!!!!

I couldn't stop laughing! :w00t:
I never saw such a good emulation program as this! The best!!!

BTW Check out the start menu. :)

Run IE:

Unable to connect
There could be several reasons
1. You do not have an ISP
2. The internet is broken
3. You are going to a site

Too dry, and too funny. :)

twisted-mystic
29-12-2004, 03:51 PM
What about the friendly mac?

WMV link (http://www.whitehathouston.com/mac.wmv)

Yamcha
29-12-2004, 03:53 PM
unable to estabilish connection to server :huh:

Rogue
29-12-2004, 04:17 PM
Had to vote for windows, even it's not my favorite. :S

My favorite is Amiga Workbench 3.1 with new icons and couple more adds. :ok:

twisted-mystic
29-12-2004, 04:54 PM
Doh! :wall:

try copy and paste
http://www.whitehathouston.com/mac.wmv

Rogue
29-12-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by twisted-mystic@Dec 29 2004, 12:54 PM
Doh! :wall:

try copy and paste
http://www.whitehathouston.com/mac.wmv
:roflol:

There are some memories from only time I had to use mac (for a whole semester) :D

twisted-mystic
29-12-2004, 05:22 PM
This may be off topic, but it's a question I've never been able to figure out about the Mac, so maybe some Mac guru can answer it.

I've noticed that one of the primary reason a Mac is used for graphic editing is because the display is so crisp (IMO at least). And when sitting side by side to a standard windows box, the graphics just blow it away.

My Question is this:

Since both machines practically use the same hardware for display, is it the drivers that make a Mac's display so much nicer? I've noticed also that several Linux desktops (Gnome and KDE) also have the same type of crisp display, so i'm inclined to think that it's software.

To bring this into the topic I guess I can say that I would think this factor alone could influence a particular choice in OS's

Data
29-12-2004, 05:34 PM
uhm the latest X (the graphical part of linux) has different renderes for tft and crt monitors + it has nicer fonts and some nice drawing method. I recall kosta being stunned by how beautiful the abandonia-frontpage looked when in mozilla under linux.

Rogue
29-12-2004, 08:03 PM
I am not sure about mac graphic driver, but amiga had better graphics at the time thanks to special graphics chipset incorporated into computers.

Today by using picasso gfx, amiga is still nice to see.

Ioncannon
29-12-2004, 08:19 PM
So thats amiga's OS. Looks like a cool os. I love Mac OS X. The geni effect (I call it the slurpy effect) is so pretty. What pisses me off is M$ copied alot of the effects and put em into longhorn. I also like Linux Mandrake 10. DOS is another fav. Windows just has to many bugs, no matter what version...

radiv
03-01-2005, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Kon-Tiki@Dec 28 2004, 10:01 PM
Nope, but I've been thinking of running it somewhere... and not on my comp (although, once my case's done... damn, got to kick my bro to help me out on it. He's good with powertools, while I don't have something to compensate, so I need his help on a couple of things for it), although it'll looks perfect for an OS with that name :D
I've got an Atari Portifolio :Brain:
maybe i should try your OS :ok:

xoopx
03-01-2005, 04:11 PM
amigados/workbench is good in a lot of ways (arexx!) but it doesnt have memory protection so apps can crash the whole thing. which happens quite a lot!

i BOUGHT beos 4.5 and i loved it, but NO APPS = useless.

linux is ok, but pretty much any decent open source software for linux has a windows version as well. so its not like it has anything extra - for desktop users.

Rogue
03-01-2005, 04:14 PM
Linux is free, isn't that something extra in your pocket? :whistle: :D

Reup
04-01-2005, 08:10 AM
@xoops: No BeOS Software? You should check this out:
BeBits (http://www.bebits.com/)

@all: I've tried BeOS. It installed well and found all my hardware, even got networksupport and everything! So that was fun... Same with Linux. I've even used FreeDOS for a while on one of my old systems...

But seriously... unless the programs I use (MAX, Photoshop etc.) come out for linux (or any other Open Source OS) I'm sticking with Micro$oft. It's really up to major application developers to take the first (brave) step and release for non-M$ platforms. And let's face it... all-in-all my issues with XP aren't that big... especially since DOSBox ;)

xoopx
04-01-2005, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Reup@Jan 4 2005, 09:10 AM

@all: I've tried BeOS. It installed well and found all my hardware, even got networksupport and everything! So that was fun... Same with Linux. I've even used FreeDOS for a while on one of my old systems...

But seriously... unless the programs I use (MAX, Photoshop etc.) come out for linux (or any other Open Source OS) I'm sticking with Micro$oft. It's really up to major application developers to take the first (brave) step and release for non-M$ platforms. And let's face it... all-in-all my issues with XP aren't that big... especially since DOSBox ;)
ah but back in the late 90's when i bought beos 4.5, there wasnt as much stuff! i couldnt even get a half-working irc program

Omuletzu
04-01-2005, 09:45 AM
DOS :whistle: :angel:

jag
04-01-2005, 03:14 PM
Windows is the most compatible with most of the programs you're going to want to use. There's nothing worse than wanting to run something and it doesn't run on your OS. Windows just happen to win the OS wars, and now without it, you're going to run into some problems.

xoopx
04-01-2005, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by jag@Jan 4 2005, 04:14 PM
Windows is the most compatible with most of the programs you're going to want to use. There's nothing worse than wanting to run something and it doesn't run on your OS. Windows just happen to win the OS wars, and now without it, you're going to run into some problems.
*notes tux the linux penguin in your sig*

Rogue
04-01-2005, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by jag@Jan 4 2005, 11:14 AM
The OS war will never end. M$ did take a part of server market share from UNIX, and at the other end, LINUX took part of windows market. Some goverment and educational agencies are moving to linux as another way to cut the cost.

radiv
04-01-2005, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Reup@Jan 4 2005, 09:10 AM

Gimp?... And many applications works with emulating Windows files like the program loader Wine