PDA

View Full Version : EMS/XMS problems in DOSBox

NGboo
13-09-2008, 08:18 AM
Is there a way to set some desired values (like 4096 kb or whatever) for EMS and XMS inside DOSBox, when a game reports that there's not enough EMS/XMS memory?

(I have this problem with 2 games - Kin Yeo Fighting Game, which reports there's not enough XMS and Fist Fight, which reports there's not enough EMS.)

_r.u.s.s.
13-09-2008, 08:45 AM
dunno, when a game reports that there's not enough ems/xms, maybe it's not emulated at all?

are you sure you have ems=true and xms=true?

but anyways, you can also define ems=value and xms value in that way afaik

NGboo
13-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Yup, I have ems=true and xms=true. I'll try to set some values, then...

Data
13-09-2008, 09:58 AM
dunno, when a game reports that there's not enough ems/xms, maybe it's not emulated at all?

are you sure you have ems=true and xms=true?

but anyways, you can also define ems=value and xms value in that way afaik

nope not possible.
you can play with the memsize parameter though

_r.u.s.s.
13-09-2008, 10:00 AM
ops, must have been dreaming that one

NGboo
13-09-2008, 10:05 AM
nope not possible.
you can play with the memsize parameter though

How to set memsize parameter?

_r.u.s.s.
13-09-2008, 10:08 AM
http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Dosbox.conf#.5Bdosbox.5D

The Fifth Horseman
13-09-2008, 11:44 AM
You can also try using LOADFIX.
DOSBox has one advantage that may be a problem - it offers more free base memory than there would typically be in a normal DOS system. The advantage is that games with high bae memory requirements will work perfectly fine (I still remember how I had to configure my first machine's DOS boot config menu to have an option to not load EMM386, mouse and CD-ROM drivers so I could have sound and music working in Flasback), but the disadvantage is that some games will find more free memory than they expect to be. Which makes them freak out.

NGboo
13-09-2008, 03:44 PM
You can also try using LOADFIX.
DOSBox has one advantage that may be a problem - it offers more free base memory than there would typically be in a normal DOS system. The advantage is that games with high bae memory requirements will work perfectly fine (I still remember how I had to configure my first machine's DOS boot config menu to have an option to not load EMM386, mouse and CD-ROM drivers so I could have sound and music working in Flasback), but the disadvantage is that some games will find more free memory than they expect to be. Which makes them freak out.

Yup, too much memory was the problem. Thank you.