PDA

View Full Version : Audio problem: Quest for Glory 3

Thrillhouse85
26-08-2008, 07:35 PM
I just downloadead Quest for Glory 3 and everything works fine, except for the audio. When I start it up, it tells me it can't detect my audio device (the game is 1992) and continues with no sound. How can I fix this?

The Fifth Horseman
26-08-2008, 08:16 PM
By running the game in DOSBox.
Those old games weren't coded in mind with the modern sound hardware. Adding to the problem, in the DOS era most games communicated directly with your hardware rather than through the DirectX.

bobson
27-08-2008, 03:53 AM
Adding to the problem, in the DOS era most games communicated directly with your hardware rather than through the DirectX.

I've never heard about DirectX made for DOS :p

The Fifth Horseman
27-08-2008, 06:30 AM
Sorry, I was kind of typing in a hurry. ^_^*
Should have written "all" instead of "most" :p

Thrillhouse85
28-08-2008, 02:18 AM
Cheers, guys. I have DOSBox now but don't know how to get the game to run in it. What do I type?

dosraider
28-08-2008, 05:01 AM
>A beginner's guide to DosBox< (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?&t=14406)

>wtf IS dos bOX AND DOES IT WORK ON wIN xp?< (http://www.abandonia.com/vbullet/showthread.php?t=17476)

_r.u.s.s.
28-08-2008, 07:18 AM
or http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Basic_Setup_and_Installation_of_DosBox

bobson
28-08-2008, 02:09 PM
is there a search option in this forum :confused:

The Fifth Horseman
28-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Come on, you expect newbies to know of search? :p

bobson
28-08-2008, 10:00 PM
You are right - it's better to keep asking for a week rather than do some search fo r 15 minutes :amused:

Thrillhouse85
30-08-2008, 09:42 PM
This is confusing. I've got some of the steps down solid, but there's a lot of information here I don't need or understand. Basically, I just want to play QG3 on DOSbox, nothing else.

It's on my D: drive in a file called D:\QG3\SIERRA.EXE

How do I get it to play this? Please don't simply link me to another tutorial, I don't feel like flipping through it when someone can tell me right of the bat.

I've mounted the D drive, but don't know how (or what to type) to get it to play the SIERRA.EXE file. Can someone please help?

Cheers!

Thrillhouse85
30-08-2008, 09:46 PM
Ok, if I select the INSTALL.EXE file by going typing it in once D:\QG3 is mounted, it goes to all the install stuff. But when I go to SIERRA.EXE, it doesn't run! This is strange, since it runs when I click SIERRA in the folder, only there's no sound. DOSbox won't even play it.

NOTE: I re-adapted all the values like it said to in the tutorial. Should I have done this?

dosraider
30-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Delete what you've done t'll now, start from scratch, you probably screwed up the game config file.

Unzip the game in again d:\qfg3 as you did, run dosbox and you inputs are:

mount c d:\
cd qfg3
sierra

That's it, no install or whatever needed, the game is 'ready to run in dosbox'.
For good understanding:
Default dosbox 0.72, nothing altered.

What you eventually can add in dosbox conf is under header
[autoexec]
mount c d:\

This will automount your D partition as virtual C: when you run dosbox, but then you are bound to D as virtual C: for all you dosgames.
Your inputs are then:
cd qfg3
sierra

Again: DON'T RUN INSTALL, it is NOT needed with the AB archive.