PDA

View Full Version : Wrong colors in dosbox movies

Elena
25-08-2008, 11:20 AM
I upgraded Windows Media Player to v.10 and colors in movies changed. Blue became yellow, yellow became blue, etc. Movies were made in dosbox. When I had WMP9 everything was OK. What should I do to recover correct colors?

I tried to resave these movies in VirtualDub. Colors become right, but a resulting file is TOO big. For example, an original file is 100 MB and a new file is 12 GB o_0

The Fifth Horseman
25-08-2008, 11:25 AM
The problem is most likely caused by WMP 10 not being fully compatible with the ZMBV codec.
Downgrade to WMP 9 or switch to Media Player Classic (more functional and much less bloated than WMP).

As for Virtual Dub, you tried to resave them in some totally uncompressed format. Change the codec settings in VD and it should work out just fine.

Elena
25-08-2008, 01:34 PM
The Fifth Horseman, thank you very much :) I used some compression and a new file became only two times bigger. Colors are right. Quality is worse but not too much. I want to upload some of my movies on YouTube.

I viewed original movies in Media Player Classic, Nero Show Time and WinDVD, and color were wrong too.

It’s a great site and great forum :love:

The Fifth Horseman
25-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Quality is worse but not too much.
That's because you converted from a losless format to a lossy one.
Try looking up an alternate losless codec or an updated version of ZMBV. :)

Elena
27-08-2008, 11:16 AM
No, I don’t like this quality, actually there are some frames missing. The Fifth Horseman, do you mean I have to try other codecs in VirtualDub or use another software?

When I use other codecs in VirtualDub I can get good quality, but a new file is also too big.

_r.u.s.s.
27-08-2008, 11:30 AM
if you can host the big file i could optimize it for you

but you have to fiddle with settings...
have you tried xvid? ffdshow? divx?

in any case, if you wanna put it to youtube, it automatically recompresses the videos for you

The Fifth Horseman
27-08-2008, 11:40 AM
When I use other codecs in VirtualDub I can get good quality, but a new file is also too big.
You need to change the settings of the specific codec. There's a button on the right side of the codec selection window, IIRC.

Elena
27-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Yes, I tried different options. Maybe I should try any more. Thanks :)

r.u.s.s., thanks for your generous suggestion. If I can’t do it myself, I’ll ask you :)