PDA

View Full Version : Very Weird Problem...

evilded
17-12-2004, 07:18 AM
I keep seeing this on my computer:

I'll be surfing the web, or just going through my computer, and this stupid thing keeps happening. My screen will jump to a width wider than my screen. Like it will 'pop' and i won't be able to see the edges of my screen!

So i will adjust my monitor with the buttons on it. After a couple minutes, my screen will 'pop' back to normal. But since I adjusted it, now my screen is too narrow. This seems to me like a minor problem, but I'm not sure if something more dangerous is at hand.

Thanks for your help, I hope I can catch anything dangerous happening before it harms my computer...

Eagle of Fire
17-12-2004, 07:39 AM
Unless some strange virus is acting on your computer (and I know no virus who could do that), expect your screen to die imminently.

It could take ages actually, or it could just refuse to light up tomorow. But one thing is sure: it is not normal.

Did you try to degauss it? Sometime static can add up and strange thing happen. Especially if you have the habit of placing your PC speakers next to the screen like about anyone else do.

evilded
17-12-2004, 08:14 AM
Well this has been happening for about 2 months now, and recently it has been acting up more and more often.

As for degauss, I do it everytime this happens, hoping it will magically fix it. But no dice...

As for speakers? :cry: I blew them many weeks ago... So that can't be it...

I use AVG anti-virus, so I'm not sure if a virus could be the culprit.

It almost always happens when im on my desktop... I dunno if that is specific enough...

Eagle of Fire
17-12-2004, 09:15 AM
As I said, it looks like your screen is dying slowly.

I don't think you have another option than to try with another screen to be sure if it's hardware or software.

If you try with another screen and it doesn't do it again, your screen is faulty. Change it.

evilded
17-12-2004, 09:27 AM
My screen? you mean my monitor?

Eagle of Fire
17-12-2004, 09:40 AM
Yes.

evilded
17-12-2004, 09:43 AM
well i really dont have the budget for a new monitor, too many other things to buy.

Food
Clothes
New tv
DVD's
illegal substances
Beer
Food
Vehicle/Bus pass
Many
Many
Many other things...

Oh yeah, and beer...

Edit: thanks for the help eagle, your truly a great help... Why arent you VIP by now? :max:

Strobe
17-12-2004, 10:20 AM
maybe it's the well-known "ghost in the machine"? ...a "poltergeist"??
in that case i'd advise you to find an exorcist... LOL

sorry, just kidding! but seriously:

i've encountered the very same problem with my old monitor! the only
additional difference was, that when it occurs the colours were strangly flashing, too.
degaussing was no help, unfortunately.

i assume, it's a hardware-problem. best thing that you can do is - as eagle of
fire already mentioned - to try another model and see if the problem is gone
or not...

i had to by a new monitor back then, some electronical functions of the old one
were fragged.

Sebatianos
17-12-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Dec 17 2004, 10:39 AM
Sometime static can add up and strange thing happen. Especially if you have the habit of placing your PC speakers next to the screen like about anyone else do.
What's wrong with that?
My old screen (it's 10 years old now) was always next to the speakers (the same age) and it naver gave me any troubles!!!
My parents have it now - next to the same speakers (but with a different machine). All cema with an old 486 (the PC is bust, but the screena and the speakers - both close together - still work like a charm)!

marko river
17-12-2004, 02:03 PM
Actually my old monitor change colours, that's because some condenser went off. Probably some hardware problem.

By the way, don't you spend some money on girls evilded? :max:

Fawfulhasfury
17-12-2004, 03:20 PM
I have tons of problems with my XP, but that's never happened. IE may freeze or something, but that isn't a frequent thing. :blink:

FreeFreddy
17-12-2004, 03:22 PM
I would say the same. Either the monitor counts it's last days, or the graphics card became damaged / overheated / old / whatever...

mouse31e
17-12-2004, 03:30 PM
I agree, sounds like the monitor to me! :D

My old monitor did exactly that and my girlfriend's did it as well. They both kept going for months though! :D

Eagle of Fire
17-12-2004, 09:15 PM
QUOTE (Eagle of Fire @ Dec 17 2004, 10:39 AM)
Sometime static can add up and strange thing happen. Especially if you have the habit of placing your PC speakers next to the screen like about anyone else do.What's wrong with that?

Actually, if you have cheap speakers it won't do much. But if you have very good speakers, then it can harm you monitor if your speakers are too close of the screen. Fact is, your monitor use magnets to direct the light beams on the screen. I don't know enough of the internal composition of the monitor to describe it perfectly, but I know they do use magnets.

Your speakers also use magnets. Any speakers do. So if you have very good speakers and you use them at full power, they might interfere with your monitor and bring the inner components to move and, in the worst case scenario, over time bring it to be off scale.

Hell, my toaster interfere with my monitor and it's something like a foot away from it! Yet, when I want toasts and I'm playing on the monitor at the same time, the screen shake because of (seemingly) interferences! And it only happens when I use my toaster... :w00t:

Just take it with a little grain of salt... While it can happen that your speaker harm your monitor, it's just very rare. Thus why you are likely to see this happen with very old monitors.

Edit: thanks for the help eagle, your truly a great help... Why arent you VIP by now?

Probably because I never asked for it? I'm not the one to ask this question to anyways. I'm not an admin.