PDA

View Full Version : Emulators and USB joypads?

Usmanov
15-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Does anyone have any experience using these emulators?

Commodore 64 -
Emulators: CCS64

Sega -
Emulators: Dega, Fusion, Gens+

I'm sure I can get them started and all, my question mainly concerns the use of a USB joypad.
Can it be done? And if there are complications, what do I need to do so?

Kugerfang
15-06-2008, 03:48 PM
I don't have experience with emulators of C64 and Sega, but I think there should be an option in the emulator.

The Fifth Horseman
15-06-2008, 04:53 PM
If the emulators don't support the controller, you could perhaps use the "Joy2key" utility to map the joypad directions and fire buttons as faux keyboard input.

_r.u.s.s.
15-06-2008, 05:03 PM
[a notice]just careful people, no links to emulators or any roms please[/a notice]

JJXB
15-06-2008, 05:06 PM
CCS64 supports my xbox pad fine and that's usb. Gens+ does as well as Kega Fusion. so they should have no problem with your pad as long as the drivers are fully working

Japo
15-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Emulators will use the OS's APIs for hardware interfacing so there will likely be no problem if the joystick is working otherwise.

Scatty
15-06-2008, 11:21 PM
Exactly, as long as the operating system supports the USB joypad / joystick, the emulator continues from there and has no trouble.

Torquemurder
18-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Exactly, as long as the operating system supports the USB joypad / joystick, the emulator continues from there and has no trouble.

Just to be clear, this only holds true for Windows emulators. DOS emulators won't always see the USB joystick.

dosraider
18-06-2008, 03:28 PM
*Deleted*
Misunderstood previous post, sorry.
:o

Scatty
18-06-2008, 04:22 PM
Just to be clear, this only holds true for Windows emulators. DOS emulators won't always see the USB joystick.
Well yeah, but who would be emulating today a console or a home computer in Dos?

Torquemurder
18-06-2008, 04:41 PM
Well yeah, but who would be emulating today a console or a home computer in Dos?

Well, one of the emulators that he mentioned above (CCS64) was a DOS app until this February...

dosraider
18-06-2008, 05:10 PM
There were plenty good dosbased emus, as was:
Nesticle, an excellent NESemu, dos based.
BTW, runs also fine in dosbox.....

And before you say most are discontinued, remember that most were fully developed/debugged anyway.

Japo
18-06-2008, 06:02 PM
Lots of emulators were DOS programs until they were ported to Windows not so long ago (get outta my lawn damm kids!): For example world famous Mame, Meka, etc. etc.

Thraka
27-06-2008, 05:08 PM
I've always been partial to WinVice. But I have a HTPC with emu's on it and i use wireless X360 controllers, and usb converted NES controllers and map the emu's to keyboard commands. I use XPadder (http://www.xpadder.com/)for mapping controllers to keyboard layouts which is handsdown the very best utility for joystick and keyboard mappings. I use my X360 analog stick for the mouse too. It's awesome.

The author is on top of his game too. You can even see from the download page where he fixed bugs I reported between releases. I cannot wait to update mine now :)