PDA

View Full Version : Been Doing My Weekly Downloading

Caged
14-12-2004, 05:17 PM
now available at download.com, Diskeeper 9.0 and spyware doctor 3.0

Both awesome programs that do wonderful jobs. My system has never been so defragged in its lifetime and as for the new version of spyware doctor. it does find a lot of bugs, so have fun and download to your hearts content. :ok:

Unknown Hero
14-12-2004, 08:22 PM
What do those programs do?

Can you put deeper explanation?

Braindead
14-12-2004, 08:41 PM
diskeeper will defragment your harddrive: this means it will put all data that belongs to 1 file put sequentially on the disk instead of spreaded over your hard disk's clusters.

spyware doctor will remove spyware from your computer. spyware are programs that are installed unwillingly and without your knowledge, mostly they collect data about something which is considered to be private (for example the websites you visit).

A bad thing about spyware removers: Most of the time, the so called spyware programs will also remove the internet-cookies from your pc though because this is also used to store personal data (for example this forum uses a cookie to store your name and password so that you will log in next time automatically when you visit). Of course when these cookies are removed the site won't remember you and you will have to log in again with your username and password...

Unknown Hero
14-12-2004, 08:42 PM
But I use ad-aware for spamware! What do you think, which one is better?

Yamcha
14-12-2004, 09:03 PM
I got ad-aware and yahoo anty spam plus Norton and System mechanic :D

Eagle of Fire
14-12-2004, 09:35 PM
Can you explain what is the advantage of using that defrag program over the already available in every Windows version defrag.exe?

Caged
14-12-2004, 10:17 PM
Windows Defragmentor is an extremely slow wannabe of Diskeeper 9.0

Diskeeper also gives you some added info about your overall harddrive status. reliability, bad files, ect. and works in a fraction of the time the generic windows program can. Well worth your time to download the trial.
As for Spyware Doctor, I can vouch that i have used it for a number of monthes and had no problems with extra spyware being installed. I run Spy sweeper, Spyware Doctor, Ad-Aware, and Spybot S&D. I need to know my system is clean because they slow down my system tremendously and am pretty sure that with all the included shields those programs offer, I am spyware/adware/malware free.

Eagle of Fire
14-12-2004, 11:00 PM
I use Spyware Blaster myself, and it helps much more. Preventing those malware to be installed on your computer is way more efficient than allowing them to get thru and removing them later. :ok:

I'll try the programs you mentionned.

Edit: could not find a trial version of Diskeeper on their official site, and Spyware Doctor trial version don't even remove the threats it found (tough it's only cookies, and it did not even find the other threats my other program are finding themselves).

Rogue
15-12-2004, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Eagle of Fire@Dec 14 2004, 05:35 PM
Can you explain what is the advantage of using that defrag program over the already available in every Windows version defrag.exe?
Windows 2K and XP's defrag are made based on diskkeeper 5.0 and they are much better then defrag that came with windows 98. I am still using DK7.0.

Isn't diskkeeper 9.0 available at downloads.com just a trial?

For add/spyaware i am using addaware in combination with spybot. For viruses McAffee AV and for firewall free personal ZoneAlarm Firewall.

Nothing wrong with using multiple tools, as long as your computer can handel them. :D

Fawfulhasfury
15-12-2004, 01:32 AM
I use Ad-aware and Norton. :ok:

mouse31e
15-12-2004, 01:43 AM
I always found Norton slowed my computer down ridiculously, especially the firewall. I just use Zone Alarm, Spybot S&D and AVG Antivirus.

I never have any serious problems, if anything does get in it's easy to remove before any serious damage is done, and they're all completely free. :D :D

I don't bother to defrag my disks. I normally have to format them for some reason before it gets to that stage! :blink: :crazy:

No... I'm just lazy. Must remember to do them more often! :D

The Niles
15-12-2004, 03:43 PM
cookies are removed when they contain tracking programs and or data miners. Not all cookies are removed by adaware programes. Just the ones that actually spy on you.

Braindead
15-12-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Anubis
cookies are removed when they contain tracking programs and or data miners. Not all cookies are removed by adaware programes. Just the ones that actually spy on you.
That is incorrect. Most spyware-remover software will remove all cookies. And quite understandably as it is quite impossible for the program to know what data is stored inside the cookie.

The Niles
15-12-2004, 06:44 PM
That is not my experience. I have used both Ad-Aware as well as spybot and they remove all the nasty ones but have always left my abandonia cookies alone.

Braindead
15-12-2004, 07:04 PM
so they think the abandonia cookie isn't nasty ey? :twisted:

Caged
15-12-2004, 11:45 PM
To the above said, yes, the version on download.com is a 30 day trial. This is unfortuante, but its worth giving it a try for a bit. I especially liked the screen saver mode where it activates with the screen saver to defrag and stops when you come back.

As to the comment that Spyware Doctor does not remove the threats it finds, I believe that to be flase as I've scanned 2 times and both times removed multiple instances of C-Dilla, tracking cookies, and other malware.

I have only found one of my programs to remove the cookies from this site as well as other forum sites and that is the Spybot S&D Usage Track Remover.

Danny252
20-12-2004, 05:55 PM
I have spy sweeper and McAffee installed on my computer. It takes them ages to scan my whole system. Over an hour!

Danny252
20-12-2004, 05:58 PM
I just noticed how Northern america, Greenland, the UK, Spain, portugal and australia all had very high virus infection rates...

Caged
20-12-2004, 06:40 PM
hehe, because all to often, when one of those bulk emails comes with an attachment saying "Make your love life better". The unknowing computer user downloads and opens it LOL