PDA

View Full Version : Ultima 6 comments

mika
05-02-2004, 12:27 PM
I just noticed that Kosta put my Ultima 6 review up. So, what do you guys think of the game? I'm quite interested to know what the people who never played it originaly think of it. Has it aged well? Is it rich enough?

Any comments welcome...

Hey Kosta, maybe a comments system on each game would be good?

BrokenAngel
05-02-2004, 02:36 PM
:D im so excited to try Ultima 6 out. i can say im also a fan of RPG's although my first RPG was FF7 lolz. eversince tried dozens of RPG games and now im gonna enter the world of Ultima :wink: . I just hope it works fine on my pc including the sounds.

*nice review Mika...got me all excited and all :D

mika
06-02-2004, 06:44 AM
Hey thanks. I was a little bit nervous, this being my first review and all, but it looks so much better on the site then in a text file ;)

PS: I hope you enjoy the game as much as I did. It was like my favourite in the good ol' days. I could sit and play for hhhooouuuuurrrssss man! 8)

BrokenAngel
06-02-2004, 02:54 PM
sad to say it doesnt seem to work on my pc :( .the video is ok but the sound doesnt seem to work :(. :cry: i tried it on my dosbox 0.61 but nothing happens :(. i dunno wats wrong wid my pc. sucks!!

mika
06-02-2004, 05:44 PM
You might have to run INSTALL.EXE and set up your sound. It will ask you to create a new character and what drive to install the game. Don't worry just put in the drive letter that the game is on and it'll carry on. It works perfectly in dosbox for me so that's all I can think of.

I hope you get it to work

cosmogreen32
09-02-2004, 02:48 PM
Great review. I haven't tried the game yet, but sure will in a few days. So what's the next one in RPG section? Darklands? Magic Candle? Keep up the good work.

Prox
29-02-2004, 12:12 PM
Ultima 6 -- An ABSOLUTELY GREAT game... I played it for like 15 minutes and I already liked it. :D

Akihikio
12-03-2004, 07:35 PM
This is one of my favorite games of all time besides Savage Empire, Kyrandia, and Several other RPG's and Stratagy games.

I used to play this game whe I was in Grade School. All the other kids thought I was wierd. Funny

Anonymous
14-03-2004, 08:09 PM
I played it for a while
it seemed as if I needed to use a program to slow it down
everything went quite fast.
didn't udnerstand a good chunk of it (attacking for example)
and whenever I wanted to scroll down to read the text I would plunge to the very bottom (probably because I needed to run a slow-down program on it)
music worked (not sure if you should hear speech... since I didn't)

the review tempted me into downloading it, so good job!

mika
15-03-2004, 06:56 AM
yeah - a slowdown utility is unfortunately a must (DOSBOX works like a charm).

Thanks for the kind comments on my review, I really love this game and used to play it non-stop so I really tried to put that through in the review. I'm really glad that it seems to be coming through...

Attacking is pretty easy once you know how:
1. You have to be in battle mode (I think you need to press 'B' to toggle it on and off)
2. You press 'A' to attack and a cross appears which you need to move over the enemy that you want to attack and press 'ENTER'. The cross hair will only work if you can reach that far (I can't remember exactly if it moves out of bounds or not) but if you have a ranged weapon then you can attack an enemy that if far away, otherwise you can only attack an enemy right next to you.

I hope you enjoy it.

Stroggy
15-03-2004, 04:16 PM
yes
but the problem is when I use dosbox it does go slower but I've got no sound whatsoever
most of the time I have to use VDMsound to get the music running (but since it goes too fast I don't hear any music while running it with VDMsound)
so I don't know if there is a way to combine Dosbox and VDMsound

Danny252
15-03-2004, 06:39 PM
DOSBOX emulates soundblaster music. does it have a sound card verification in the install? If so run that in dosbox and find one that works.

Stroggy
15-03-2004, 07:37 PM
well it turns out I had to use VDM sound on dosbox and then everything worked fine...
well
not quite so fine
I think the game got stuck when I talked to the Jester in the palace (in the dialogue I couldn't say anything, didn't go down either)

mika
16-03-2004, 07:37 AM
hmmm, interesting.

Dosbox worked perfectly for me with sound and no hangups. Did you try run the installation? If not, try that and select which sound card to use. Actually now that I think about it, I had to resort to using the adlib driver - but it still worked after that.

The Niles
16-03-2004, 09:56 AM
VDMsound is not a perfect solution neither is DOSBox. Both of these programs are still under development. If you experience problems the best thing you can do is ask the people on this forum http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewforum.php?...253cf03a24c0ee2 (http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewforum.php?f=33&sid=f97190831352d9f88253cf03a24c0ee2) for advice. They can fix most any problem or at least tell you the problem cannot be overcome with the current versions of DOSBox or VDMsound.

Stroggy
16-03-2004, 05:34 PM
I always have to use adlib (that and roland are the only ones that seem to work)

mika
02-04-2004, 07:50 AM
Well I hope everyone's managed to get this game to work and is enjoying it!

Considering that these posts couldn't be moved into the proper section for this game (http://abandonia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=201) please just post there in the furture.

Titan
02-04-2004, 08:18 AM
Hmmm... now we have a thread for this game.. sugest you use it :)

LOCKDOWN
- - - - - - - -