PDA

View Full Version : Newbie HELP

jetsetwilly
22-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Hi

OK, I downloaded Lemmings and extracted it into C:\oldgames\Lemmings

I downloaded DosBox 0.72

I downloaded NC C:\oldgames\NC

I followed the instructions on the forum.....

So I did the MOUNT C C:\
Then C:

Then CD NC
install

The NC thing opens up fine. I continued to do as the site says.

Then the instructions stop. The website says now exit Dos, happy gaming (or somehting similar)

How do I play the game?

Also, when I open up DOSBOX again, it reverts to the Z: so I have to type all the MOUNT C etc again.

What am I doing wrong?

Windows Vista BTW

Geezer
22-03-2008, 12:17 PM
NC has nothing to do with the game.

Start DOSBox and type mount c c:\oldgames and press enter
then type c: and press enter<enter><enter></enter></enter>
then type cd lemmings and press enter<enter></enter>
then run the game by typing whatever program you use to start the game.

olemars
22-03-2008, 12:21 PM
I would take the easy way out and just use a DOSBox frontend like D-fend Reloaded (http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/) or D.O.G. (http://www.freewebs.com/erikgg/)

jetsetwilly
22-03-2008, 12:57 PM
OK, done that. Now it says C:\lemmings>

What now?

jetsetwilly
22-03-2008, 12:59 PM
YOu say type in what program I use to run the program? Now I am confused, I thought it ran in DOS

olemars
22-03-2008, 01:11 PM
He meant the game executable, which in the case of lemmings is lemmings.bat. So when you're at c:\Lemmings> just type lemmings again and hit enter.

If DOS is something you've never tangled with, I'd suggest using one of the frontends I mentioned. That'll let you do things the windows way.

jetsetwilly
22-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Ok, great let me try THANKS

jetsetwilly
22-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Ok, that does open the game, but it gives options EGA/VGA etc

When i try to progress, the screen goes blank and the monitor goes into power save as though nothing is coming through

Kloudstriker
22-03-2008, 01:18 PM
I'd use D-Fend Reloaded, as the installation includes Dosbox as well. Check it out here;

http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/

After installation, you simply choose what language and it's ready to go. All you need to do is add a new game and point to the executable. You have the option to further configure, but for simplicity's sake just choose language and go from there.

Hope this helps...there are also easy to follow instructions that come with D-Fend Reloaded.

The Fifth Horseman
22-03-2008, 10:00 PM
The instructions in the Beginner's guide don't stop at that point. They only use one pretty generic example, yes, but that's because it would be nonsensical to add one to each game.

By the way, have you added Norton Commander to the Autoexec portion of the config file? Doing that gives you a handy graphical interface (OK, it's a notch on the crude side, but makes starting games much, much easier).

The Fifth Horseman
22-03-2008, 10:00 PM
The instructions in the Beginner's guide don't stop at that point. They only use one pretty generic example, yes, but that's because it would be nonsensical to add one to each game.

By the way, have you added Norton Commander to the Autoexec portion of the config file? Doing that gives you a handy graphical interface (OK, it's a notch on the crude side, but makes starting games much, much easier).

Rogue
24-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Try once this removed tutorial, and then let me know if you are having problem running the game.

And forget about norton commander. It was useful tool at the time you had DOS machine, but at the time that you have windows for all your file needs and need DOSBox only to run the game it does not make any sense to use NC.

the site contained nintendo, playstation and other emulators and abandonia doesn't deal with those. instead, just read the official dosbox guide (http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Basic_Setup_and_Installation_of_DosBox). and by the way, the tutorial on the linked site was ripped-off from original abandonia dosbox guide (http://web.archive.org/web/20060212070754/www.abandonia.com/main.php?nav=index&FAQ=1). shame on the site owners another edit: nevermind=S i see it's anubis's site

The Fifth Horseman
24-03-2008, 02:51 PM
For a newbie it's easier to click directories and executables in NC than use command line to display directory structure, move within it and launch executables. In fact, even more so for veteran users with a large number of games in their DOS games directory (I think I've got about 80 or so left after creating custom shortcuts and configs for 40-something).

Rogue
24-03-2008, 04:45 PM
It is easier to use NC instead of frontend??

To play any DOS games it is good to learn DOS basic. They don't have to learn how to optimize or install DOS, but just basic as what is CD, DIR, etc.

That is enough to learn how to use FrontEnd. (not required, but it helps to know how to install games :))

The Fifth Horseman
24-03-2008, 05:24 PM
It is easier to use NC instead of frontend??
That is disputable. In a frontend you need to create a profile for each game. That is not complex, and a very good solution for smaller collections. However, NC doesn't need any specific profiles and so is more useful when dealing with large collections (or a regularly changed directory structure).

I use NC to navigate my DOS games directory under DOSBox, but when I have the time I create tailored configs and shortcuts for each game so that they can be ran right away with no need for a frontend (and thus any associated bugs or glitches).

Rogue
24-03-2008, 05:32 PM
I run front end, which supports large amount of games. If is hard to press first letter of the game you're after to play to scroll to that game, then there is a favorite folder, where you can select your favorite games.

Nice thing about frontend vs. NC is that you can select per game cycles and all other settings, so that you don't have to remember what was setting on your computer per game. :)

As for shortcuts, those will work as well.

One of the things that I suggest is to separate games in folders of first letter of the game. Something similar we are doing with Amiga setups, where you have 2-3 thousand of the games. (large enough) and is still easy to find the game you're looking for.

I was thinking to create GameBase front end for PC games that would support ZIP archive of the games, and would create another ZIP with any changes you made to the game. (For example, you save the game, but instead of changing/adding files in you ZIP with the game, there is a new compressed file created with only difference) This system was made by WHDLoad RUN creator for Amiga and I'm sure it would work well for DOS games, as long as you're willing to wait for extraction/save when you open/close the game.

This would solve the problems of people having the problems to setup and start the games.

Wooow... long post....

EDIT: I wonder how many people use 'Tab' while using commands in DOSBox. For example if you looking for directory that starts with T just type CD T and hit tab until you find directory you are looking for.