PDA

View Full Version : Prairie Dog Hunt (Old Windows game) on XP?

Jack Swift
08-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Is there any way to get this classic to run on WinXP?
http://tonysills.tripod.com/downloads/old_games/windog.html

I doesn't work in VDMSound or DosBox. (Those help sometimes.)

Eagle of Fire
08-03-2008, 06:53 PM
It's a Windows game, so VDMSound are DOSBox will be utterly useless on this matter.

First option to try: go in the properties of the icon you want to run and try to select "run this program as Win98" or Win95 in the compatibility tab. You can also mess around with the other options to test it out, especially the "force 256 colors" one.

Jack Swift
08-03-2008, 07:18 PM
I know they are DOS emulators, but my PC is a bit strange. Sometimes they help in starting Java games, for example. Like that cool new High Noon remake.

None of those usual tricks worked. :(

Eagle of Fire
08-03-2008, 07:38 PM
The game is from 1993. Judging from the screenshot, it's a Win 3.1 game.

I heard some people find interesting to find and install a version of Windows 3.1 on their DOSBox to run those old games. However, if you want to try that, do not mount your c:\ drive directly else you might find that the installation sequence will mess up with your autoexec.bat and your config.sys files. Which would be a pain...

Jack Swift
08-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Thanks. Sounds good. I'll try that.

_r.u.s.s.
08-03-2008, 09:47 PM
it does work in win xp...
what does it say if you try to run it?

Jack Swift
08-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Nothing. An hourglass for half a second.

_r.u.s.s.
08-03-2008, 10:39 PM
hmm, have you tried compatibility options? unpacked all the files from the archive? (sorry that i ask but some people actually believe that if you extract exe only, the game will work)

Jack Swift
09-03-2008, 02:53 PM
_r.u.s.s.
I did all that. Didn't work.

Too much work trying to find and install Win 3.1.
Maybe I'll buy an old computer some day...

dosraider
09-03-2008, 03:43 PM
Runs fine in XP, BUT:
Windog needs specific files:
-> THREED.VBX , version 3.0.0.6 , it's in the games folder.
-> VBRUN200.DLL, also in the games folder.
Check if there isn't another version of those files in your \windows\system\ folder, if there is , rename them to THREED.BAK and/or VBRUN200.BAK and try again, should work.
If an installer installed and registered those files (other version) in \system\ XP will load those and Windog will not work.

Welcome to the world of W3.x and all those *.VBX/*.DLL versions.
One of the -(MANY reasons)- to not run/install W3.x W95 games in a NT environment.
They are messy.
Use dosbox/W3.x or VPC.