PDA

View Full Version : Can't run dos games :(

Anonymous
10-04-2004, 10:24 PM
I have win xp installed and my hardware is pretty new (including sound card). i also have win98se installed on a seperate partition. i used the bootdisk supplied by the site, but it didnt initialise my sound card unfortunately :( does anyone know how to make a bootdisk which will work for my specific machine so it boots to DOS?

My soundcard is a Realtek AC97 Audio. My cdrom is a PIONEER DVD-ROM.

i looked everywhere but i simply can't find a clear cut answer. thanks for your help guys :)

Kosta
10-04-2004, 11:40 PM
I'm not sure that AC97 DOS drivers exist at all. That should be checked on realtek's site. However, I do have a potentially better solution for you called VDMSound. Its basically a Win9x/WinXP based DOS driver for soundcards. You can run games from Windows, and the sound will (probably) work flawlessly :)

here's the link http://www.ece.mcgill.ca/~vromas/vdmsound/

Hope things work out! Cheers!

Danny252
12-04-2004, 08:31 AM
Dosbox emulates SoundBlaster for all your old games..

The Niles
12-04-2004, 10:50 PM
I believe I heard you need VDMsound for certain games even if you have DOSBox. Not sure that's true. Can someone confirm or Deny that with certainty?

Anonymous
14-06-2004, 10:59 AM
DOSBox doesn't need vdmsound.
this is certain.

VDMSound provides soundblaster emulation to dos programs run in windows.
DOSBox is a windows program which allow you to run dos programs.

Dosbox is windows program. vdmsound gives sound emulation to dos programs. (not windows programs) so DOSBox doesn't use it. The games run inside dosbox can't see the outside world so they don't see vdmsound running)

FreeFreddy
14-06-2004, 01:32 PM
DosBox needs VDMSound, at least for some of my games like Ultima 8 without VDMSound there's no sound from DosBox.

Anonymous
16-06-2004, 09:22 AM
Dosbox doesn't need vdmsound.
Ultima 8 runs in dosbox fine with sound.

You probably did something wrong somewhere.

Ferna182
30-01-2005, 05:39 AM
There's some things you can try....

If the game doesn't load at all.... it may be because of memory compatibility problems.... you can try the following:
Right-click the game executable.... then go to Preferences....
On the Memory tag, Put EMS on the maxium, DPMI on maxium and XMS on maxium too..... that solves a lot of problems....

Now, a harder one it's the sound.... thats a big problem.... you can try to download VDMS .... download it and install it... then to run a game, right click the executable and select "Run with VDMS" .....

Good Luck ^^

Eagle of Fire
30-01-2005, 04:46 PM
As much as I like to see people trying to help eachother, this thread is easily 6-7 months old now. :whistle:

xoopx
30-01-2005, 05:07 PM
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/necromancer.htm

Danny252
30-01-2005, 06:33 PM
I hate thread bumpers.. can we lock this thread or something?

Ferna182
31-01-2005, 03:22 AM
WELL SORRY! i was just trying to help somebody here.... ¬¬ this thread was in page 2 i didn't realize it was too old..... and the dos games not working under winXP it's a common problem here... it may be usefull for new people...

quatroking
18-02-2005, 02:04 PM
I know what you feel bro, :max:
My dad have a XP self and i hate it.
Specially becouse every DOSgame don't work.
(i have a ME and i can't make screenshots with it)

uhh... already try DOSbox?

Omuletzu
18-02-2005, 03:40 PM
Do not bump 6 months old topics.