PDA

View Full Version : Xp Desktop Icons Messed Up

Mighty Midget
05-11-2007, 01:20 PM
I closed DOSBox 0.71 and found all the icons on my desktop as well as on the Start menu have been changed to those you get when they're "unknown file type". I emptied my trashcan and some, but not all, icons got restored. I have plenty of free space on the hdd (fairly new).

What is going on and how can I fix it? Thanks a ton to whoever have an answer.

Pietafon
05-11-2007, 02:03 PM
Hmmm, strange... :unsure:

Maybe You've got some nasty little bug? :ph34r:

Mighty Midget
05-11-2007, 02:05 PM
Doing an AVG scan now, and it found a delf.ckk trojan in one exe. Still scanning.

I have had this exe for a while now, but when I d/l it and scanned it, AVG found nothing. Now it does. :wallbash:

EDIT: Scan finished. Only the delf.ckk found and fixed, according to AVG at least. Still the icons are messed up.

DeathDude
05-11-2007, 03:55 PM
I remember that happened to me back awhile ago from either Deus Ex, or Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, when I exited the program after like a resolution change, guessing you must have tried rebooting already, otherwise reenter dosbox again exit again as normal, reboot and see what happens it might just get your icons back.

Mighty Midget
05-11-2007, 04:01 PM
DD, my man :kosta: I started up DB and the game (just in case I needed to set the resolution to what it was when it happened), exited both, and lo and behold the icons reappeared. Didn't even have to reboot.

Thanks a ton, mate :ok:

DeathDude
05-11-2007, 04:32 PM
No problem. :) First time that happened to me, I started to manually find the icons and essentially go through a bunch finding the original icon and making sure XP would recognize it again, then fluke luck went back into the game and volia the icons returned, glad to see the same held true. :ok:

Scatty
05-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Next time it happens, just press F5 or right-click on desktop and select "Refresh" and see if that helps.

Mighty Midget
05-11-2007, 09:39 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Scatty @ Nov 5 2007, 11:38 PM) 318374</div>
Next time it happens, just press F5 or right-click on desktop and select "Refresh" and see if that helps.
[/b]

One of the first things I tried ;) No luck.

Japo
06-11-2007, 01:59 AM
muck happens, I guess Windows is not bug-free, it once happened to me and persisted for many days (yes I turned off the computer many times during that time), then came back some day for some unknown reason. :P

_r.u.s.s.
06-11-2007, 10:02 AM
hah, this bug happens to me more often, after i close some program with high cpu usage and it hangs or something. f5 sometimes helps, sometimes you have to reboot

gregor
06-11-2007, 10:41 AM
TweakUI (now offered on MS site i believe) had a button "repair desktop icons" - it always repaired them after they got messed up for some obscure reason (in Win98 that i had before).

Haven't tried this fucntion with XP but i imagine it does the same - repairs the icons.

DeathDude
06-11-2007, 01:37 PM
Faster to just reenter the program that caused it and more often than not it will fix the icons problem when you close it. Odd sort of bug in XP anyways though.

Scatty
06-11-2007, 11:37 PM
Now that I remember, I had the similar problem when playing Gothic II, but instead the desktop wallpaper vanished. That was fixed by establishing the wallpaper again in Properties of desktop (right-click).
Speaking of icons, another way of fixing them after that might be to just right-click on the attachment, click on Properties and in the Shortcut tab click on Change Icon. By clicking on Ok and then OK to close that window that should fix the icon again.

Juanca
17-12-2007, 11:16 AM
I had something similar but not very alarming (definitely a bug). i played a game on dosbox and when i finished the "my computer" icon was looking like in old VGA resolution. i was amazed, it seemed to me very funny after some days it desapeared when i finished playing another game. i also tried refreshing the screen and restarting the computer but none worked, it just went after some days.