PDA

View Full Version : Dosbox 7.2 Won't Mount Drives.

Shoot-em-upper
20-09-2007, 03:11 AM
I tried to load the directory from Space Racer into DOSBox, and it didn't work.

The first thing that I did was type [MOUNT "C:\SPACE RACER\SPCRACER\"] and hit Enter.
Then it said,
"Usage MOUNT Drive-Letter Local-Directory
So a MOUNT c c:\windows mounts windows directory as the c: drive in DOSBox"
I then typed "C:" to change the command prompt to that drive. Only it said,
"Drive C does not exist!
You must mount it first. Type intro or intro mount for more information."

Please tell me how to solve this problem.

Happy Talk Like A Pirate Day!

Eagle of Fire
20-09-2007, 04:48 AM
MOUNT C:\SPACE RACER\SPCRACER\[/b]
First thing first, DOS can't work with worknames longer than 8 characters. So, shorten and rename your directories and files accordingly.

Second, when you mount a drive you must select which drive you want to emulate. So you should type "MOUNT C C:\DIRECTORY".

I think it should do it. I myself always mount my c:\ drive directly anyways, but it's a little dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. If you used to play around in DOS in the good old days, you should be fine however.

Data
20-09-2007, 07:44 AM
MOUNT C "C:\SPACE RACER\SPCRACER\"

gregor
20-09-2007, 08:41 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eagle of Fire @ Sep 20 2007, 04:48 AM) 311947</div>
So you should type "MOUNT C C:\DIRECTORY".
[/b]

Well if he did that the length of folder would be too long since DIRECTORY has 9 characters. :P

But yes, shootemupper, you forgot to give drive's letter in front of your folder name.

Data
20-09-2007, 10:49 AM
with mounting the 8.3 limit doesn't apply. (try it if you don't believe it)

gregor
20-09-2007, 12:02 PM
well it didnt' want to do it to me yesterday when i wanted to mount Command & Conquer folder.

it did do it when i typed comman~1

in the end it turns out the version i had was for WIN95 anyway and had a nice scrypt attached that launched the game in Win95 compatibility mode.

dosraider
20-09-2007, 12:54 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gregor @ Sep 20 2007, 02:02 PM) 312023</div>
well it didnt' want to do it to me yesterday when i wanted to mount Command & Conquer folder.
[/b]
Did you put the quotes? "C:\SPACE RACER\SPCRACER\"

The Fifth Horseman
20-09-2007, 01:47 PM
What he didn't put in was the drive letter for the mount.

Shoot-em-upper, if you get the "USAGE" message, it means you entered the command incorrectly.

If you entered it right, you should get a message Drive (letter) is mounted as local directory (path), where the letter and path are those you entered for MOUNT command to use. Look at this screenshot to see how it works:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/the_fifth_horseman/DOSBox/DIR.png

And of course, there is always the Beginner's Guide (http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14913) to walk you through the basics.

Shoot-em-upper
20-09-2007, 03:29 PM
Thanks, I changed the folder to SpcRacer(eight letters) and it worked. And, yes, I did put quotes around it the first time. :thanx: for your help!

dosraider
20-09-2007, 04:27 PM
LOL
My reply was for gregor, when he doubted Data's words about the 8.3 rule.

Mixup is my fault, should have been more precise.

Eagle of Fire
21-09-2007, 02:35 AM
Ahem...
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/6927/dosboxtestdd0.png
:max:

I tested it and it does work with more than 8 characters, although I'm pretty sure it's a perk of one of the new releases. I don't remember my 0.61 version being able to do that.

As any DOS user will tell you anyways: always rename your files and directory to 8 characters anyways. You may be able to get away with it if you simply mount the specified directory directly, but you'll take the chance to hit problems related to this because of the DOS programs themselves not recognizing the directories or files with names too long. Not to say that it's a mess to navigate in DOS having to type ~1, ~2 or whatnot every other commands...

Ah... The joy of Windows compatibility solutions... <_<

dosraider
21-09-2007, 03:44 AM
ahem ....
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/2337/test1ub0.png (http://imageshack.us)
the " " ......

the " " .......
:bleh:

But I also always use 8.3 names. Much easier.

Eagle of Fire
21-09-2007, 05:05 AM
Bleh. Okay, I'm beaten. ^_^

You still need to use ~1 when CDing your way around tough. :whistling:

(I hope you won't get out another obscure use of those " "... Else I'll look like someone who don't know what he's talking about. LOL)

foxinhand
08-01-2008, 06:20 PM
MOUNT problem. DosBox 7.2. Vista basic. <folder>oldgames

MOUNT C C:\OLDGAMES

... OLDGAMES DOES NOT EXIST

Eagle of Fire
08-01-2008, 06:35 PM
Then why are you trying to mount a directory which doesn't exist?

The Fifth Horseman
08-01-2008, 10:18 PM
If you want to mount a directory, first make sure it exists. If it's not there - then create it. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

Like I said before, following my guide blindly is not the way to go. A little imagination and common sense can go a long way....

foxinhand
09-01-2008, 03:14 AM
MOUNT problem. DosBox 7.2. Vista basic. <folder>oldgames

MOUNT C C:\OLDGAMES

... OLDGAMES DOES NOT EXIST

*** First and foremost thanks for the quick response. ***

Following the guides - I do have \OLDGAMES\MOO along inside the DosBox applications. [I have MOO2 on a working 486 in another location; tmi]

I have installed DosBox a second time to no change; prob. a Vista effect.
This is a new few week old box and Vista is a constant pain.
On F@h tonight it would not download a new fahcore until I switched F@h off and in "Startup" started F@h in Admin mode.:(

dosraider
09-01-2008, 05:37 AM
prob. a Vista effect.
More a lack of understanding how Vista works, no pun intended.
FYI: dosbox works perfect in Vista32 and Vista64.
If c:\oldgames\ exist you can mount it. IF you will be able to save games or even install games will depend of your writing rights on C:\

You say you have \OLDGAMES\MOO along inside the DosBox applications.....

Do you have a C:\oldgames\ ?
Or "along inside the DosBox applications" would even be c:\program files\dosbox-0.72\oldgames\
Or even c:\program files (X86)\dosbox-0.72\oldgames\ in Vista64.
Or is it C:\users\your_name\oldgames\?
That's not the same.

And about 'admin' account, is it a full admin account or a standard admin account? Can be that you have more restrictions then you think, you wouldn't be the first one.

Anyway, to keep it a bit short, create and mount:
C:\users\your_name\oldgames\

Will avoid you a lot of problems.