PDA

View Full Version : Betrayal At Krondor - Cd Music On Dosbox And Vista

JackoRougburn
15-08-2007, 09:30 AM
Hi guys, I'm hoping to get some help with playing the CD music for Betrayal at Krondor.

I'm using an HP running Windows Vista, and so far I've managed to get the game to run well on DOSBox. Everything works fine, the sound plays, as well as the basic midi music that comes with the game, but I can't for the life of me get the CD music to work. (I'm not sure what specs to include in my post, but I'd be happy to add any other details anyone needs.)

(C:) is my harddrive, (D:) is my recovery drive, and (E:) is my CD/DVD drive.

So far I've tried mounting E: as D in DOSBox and running the music from the actual CD, the result being that BAK will only play the midi version and will de-select the CD Music option in the game's preferences when clicked. I wrote it like this in the CONFIG file:

[autoexec]
mount C "C:\Games\Krondor\Betrayal At Krondor"
mount D "E:\" -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl (I've also tried "-t cdrom", "-t cdrom -usecd 0", and "-t cdrom -usecd 0 -aspi")
C:
Krondor.exe

I've also tried making an ISO image of the CD and running it that way, which leads to the same results:

[autoexec]
mount C "C:\Games\Krondor\Betrayal At Krondor"
imgmount D "C:\Games\Krondor\Betrayal At Krondor\BAKCD\BAKCD.iso" -t iso
C:
Krondor.exe

I'd appreciate anyone's imput with this, because the CD music is way better than the midi version. If at all possible, I'd like to use the ISO version so I don't need the CD, but I'll take any solution that lets me play BAK again.

Data
15-08-2007, 10:26 AM
instead of an iso make a cue/bin and mount the cue (as you did with the iso)
iso can't have audio tracks.

JackoRougburn
15-08-2007, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the info on ISO files, I hadn't heard that before.

So I took your advice I created a BIN and CUE file from the CD using CDRWIN and put them in the same folder I had the ISO in before. I changed the CONFIG file to this:

imgmount D "C:\Games\Krondor\Betrayal At Krondor\BAKCD\BAKCD.cue" -t iso

and ran DOSBox. The CD music still won't play, nor will the CD music check box stay checked (not that it has an effect on the game continuing to play the midi music...)

Did I properly mount the CUE file? Do you have any other suggestions that I might try? Thanks again.

The Fifth Horseman
16-08-2007, 06:16 AM
Are you sure the CD-audio tracks are present? Try playing the CD as an Audio-CD to find out.

JackoRougburn
16-08-2007, 06:28 AM
I'm sure the music is present on the CD. I've had my copy of this game for years, (back to when it actually ran normally on my old computer...) but yes, I can play the CD in Windows Media Player and it plays the audio tracks.

I don't know if the audio tracks exist in the BIN/CUE files I made from the CD however, and I don't know how to check this out. But as far as I know they should be there since they are on the CD.

Data
16-08-2007, 06:34 AM
check the contents of the cue file (it's a textfile)

JackoRougburn
16-08-2007, 06:44 AM
The CUE file lists:

FILE "BAKCD.BIN" BINARY
TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
INDEX 01 00:00:00
TRACK 02 AUDIO
PREGAP 00:02:00
INDEX 01 12:13:07
TRACK 03 AUDIO
INDEX 00 13:50:73
INDEX 01 13:52:73 (and on until #63)

(edit...)
The next post is mine too, but I forgot to log in first. oops...

16-08-2007, 07:54 AM
I don't suppose that there's some way to hack the Krondor.001 file and make it read/use mp3 versions of the music ripped from the CD? I know I'm reaching here but I'm not sure what else to do.

Also, if there's possibly a problem with the CONFIG file for DOSBox that I'm using, I'd be happy to email it to anyone interested to check if I've somehow screwed something up in there. I'm not sure if that could be the cause. (I'm using DOSBox ver .71 if that makes a difference.)

JackoRougburn
17-08-2007, 07:01 AM
NEW DEVELOPMENT:

So I've still been messing with DOSBox trying to get it to read my CD's music, but this time instead of mounting my CD drive (E:) as D, I mounted it as E

Mount E "E:\" -t cdrom
(instead of) Mount D "E:\" -t cdrom

When I ran the game, I checked the box for CD music in the preferences... Instead of having no effect like before, this time the midi music turned off and no music played at all instead. (The sounds still play normally.)

Does this change anything?

Scatty
17-08-2007, 10:46 AM
It does - after what you've written I think Windows Vista is a very strange operating system.
Honestly, I never had such a problem with my CD-version of Betrayal at Krondor, the CD music played perfectly, but that was under Windows XP in DosBox.

JackoRougburn
19-08-2007, 11:02 PM
:wallbash:

Is there any way to avoid these problems altogether by simply having DOSBox read the music out of a folder on my harddrive? I've burned the music from the CD, but I'm not sure how to make the program look to a folder to read information that is supposed to be on a CD.

Also, I don't know what format to put the music files into. Currently I have them as mp3s, but I don't know if midi or wave files would be better.

Could I make a CUE file to read the music out of a folder instead of trying to read a BIN file? Or could I make a BIN file just out of the music I've burned to replace the one I made from the CD (which apparently doesn't work)? Any help would be much appreciated.

gregor
20-08-2007, 06:17 AM
You know DosBOX works with linux and there are some preety neat, small linux boots available (even from USB keys as i heard...). Maybe you could try with those and hopefully the game would work.

JackoRougburn
20-08-2007, 06:24 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gregor @ Aug 20 2007, 01:17 AM) 305585</div>
You know DosBOX works with linux and there are some preety neat, small linux boots available (even from USB keys as i heard...). Maybe you could try with those and hopefully the game would work.
[/b]

Could you explain that a little more for me? I'm not very familiar with Linux and I wouldn't know where to start looking for that.

KKKkiri
22-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the info on ISO files, I hadn't heard that before.

So I took your advice I created a BIN and CUE file from the CD using CDRWIN and put them in the same folder I had the ISO in before. I changed the CONFIG file to this:

imgmount D "C:\Games\Krondor\Betrayal At Krondor\BAKCD\BAKCD.cue" -t iso

and ran DOSBox. The CD music still won't play, nor will the CD music check box stay checked (not that it has an effect on the game continuing to play the midi music...)

Did I properly mount the CUE file? Do you have any other suggestions that I might try? Thanks again.

Hey mount the folder that include both the cue and bin like this
"D D:\<folder name> -T cdrom"
Both music and sound are working that way .

Eagle of Fire
23-05-2009, 01:51 AM
Please do not resurect old threads. This thread is two years old. It is extremely unlikely that the thread starter didn't find the answer to his problem by now.