PDA

View Full Version : Installing Games

kennybase2
17-06-2007, 06:38 AM
i have installled dos box word for word ... installed moonstone (a game i played when i was young which rocks)
but when im in dos box it wont run ... this is what happens

C:\>dir
C:\>cd moon
C:\moon>install
illegal command install.

can anyone explain why ??
please keep answers simple as i'm a novice user

regards kennybase2

Scatty
17-06-2007, 07:35 AM
You don't need to install any games on this site, they're all already in installed state so you just need to extract the archive to some folder and play the game.
Unless you want to run install to set sound and music, but with Moonstone you don't need that as it only uses Soundblaster, I think. So there should be no install.exe, either.

Dave
17-06-2007, 10:56 AM
The easiest way to run games on DosBox is to take the .exe file (example: moon.exe) and drag it to dosbox.exe
It will run with a default configuration.

The Fifth Horseman
18-06-2007, 03:06 PM
As I said in the Beginner's Guide, not every game has a setup program... and they don't have to always be named "Install", either. Run the following commands in the game directory:
Dir *.exe
Dir *.com
Dir *.bat

and tell us what did they return.

kennybase2
18-06-2007, 10:12 PM
:brain: thanks guys for your help!!!!!
but i ended up asking a work mate who is pretty good on the computer ..
in the auto exe file that you open up in word pad i typed
mount c c:\DOS\CDRIVE\ -tcdrom
C:
CLS
for some reason adding the DOS part helped, you guys would know why, but yeah it wasnt there in the installation instructions
then all i type in dos box is
cd ms
ms

and it starts tooo easy....

Mighty Midget
18-06-2007, 10:16 PM
About adding the DOS folder during the mounting: My guess is that you have the CDrive folder in that DOS folder, so you would need to point to that as well. Remember that when you mount a folder, you need to type the actual path, not just the folder with the game in. The reason it wasn't mentioned in the installation instructions would simply mean that in that case the path used in the example was different.

chainsoar
19-06-2007, 12:26 AM
It's best to create a new folder in an easy to reach place called "games" or "dosgames" or whatever and put them in there. That way they're easy to get at.

Sebatianos
19-06-2007, 06:12 AM
Just make sure the folder name isn't longer then eight letters/numbers.

Otherwise you'll have slight problems...

folder ABCDEFGH is OK, but ABCDEFGHI would show up as ABCDEF~1 and that might confuse some games.