PDA

View Full Version : Outcast and discworld Noir

Stroggy
27-03-2004, 12:43 PM
who played these two games?
these are two of my favourite old games (sadly I forgot Outcast while making my top 10 and now I can't modify it :( )

I know discworld games aren't that popular but somebody must have heard of it... and I get the feeling I am the only one who ever played it :(

speaking of Discworld Noir... who has read the books?

anyway.
does anybody else remember the great game Outcast?

muaddib
27-03-2004, 03:50 PM
I added outcast to my top 10 list :)

It is one of the greatest adventure/action games ever made. Not only is it beautiful, but also really big. It's made by Belgian people you know :)

cosmogreen32
27-03-2004, 05:44 PM
I found some info about it and I'm really looking forward to buying it.

Omuletzu
30-03-2004, 11:47 AM
hmmm... never heard of either one of them.Maybe you could type in a link that would show me some screenshots of these games.

Stroggy
30-03-2004, 02:22 PM
okay
discworld noir:
http://trance.releases.cz/jaydee/images3/discwr6.jpg
http://trance.releases.cz/jaydee/images3/discwr2.jpg

outcast:
http://www.jeux-mania.com/outcast(5).jpg
http://www.activewin.com/reviews/software/...es/outcast1.jpg (http://www.activewin.com/reviews/software/games/o/images/outcast1.jpg)

Omuletzu
30-03-2004, 03:08 PM
both look nice, but don't seem to be verry old

muaddib
30-03-2004, 05:40 PM
I think Outcast is from 1999.

Nevertheless, you should buy it! HUUUGE game with really beautiful graphics and a great storyline.

Stroggy
30-03-2004, 07:11 PM
both look nice, but don't seem to be verry old
they aren't as old as other games here
but Discworld games tend to become abandonware games
same with outcast
big hype for a while, but then it was, kinda, forgotten

The Niles
30-03-2004, 08:14 PM
I think at least certain Discworld games are abandon-ware but Outcast is definitely not. Even if it where though, there is no room for it on Abandonia. Literally

muaddib
30-03-2004, 09:28 PM
Man, all this talk about Outcast, I think I'm gonna play it again...

Stroggy
31-03-2004, 10:14 AM
Man, all this talk about Outcast, I think I'm gonna play it again...
hah, I would too, but I already know the game all by heart... I think
I think I'll just listen to the soundtrack

Gem
28-05-2004, 11:03 AM
Discworld Noir rocks -its so much darker than the other games, & features non-book characters. Plus the inerface is rather original when it comes to Lewton's notebook.
:D
Yeah, I've read the books 2. They are also fantastic(al), & under-appreciated.

Havell
10-06-2004, 06:38 PM
Disc world Noir is not abandon ware, I found it on sale here in England for ?5 last week. It's a brilliant game and I have completed it 6 times : :)
I think the first two discworlds are abandonware as I have never seen them on sale and would very much like to play them. Could anyone upload it?

olzen
25-06-2004, 07:41 AM
I love Outcast! It's one of my favourite computer games. Beautiful graphics, great story, probably one of the best game soundtracks ever and an unbeatable atmosphere. Sad that only, like, 3 out of 10 people remember it today...

Aristharus
05-07-2004, 11:37 PM
I have both of them. Bought them just after their releases and I really don't regret it.
Neither of those games are abandonware (or IMHO even old) though.

I've always been a BIG fan of Discworld books and Terry Pratchett. Didn't even have to think about it after I heard that they were doing another Discworld game back then. I think I bought Discworld the same day it was released here in Finland.

Almost the same goes with Outcast. It had been hyped so much on TV and everywhere that I saw it as a must-have before even trying a demo (if one was even made) or anything.

Neither of these games did disappoint me. I played Outcast the last time a couple of weeks ago and noticed that I still love the game. And I don't think I'll have to say anything about Discworld Noir. Guaranteed Terry Pratchett. A good plot, great humor and some very clever things in gameplay (the werewolf thing for example, if anyone has played the game).

Good to see there are other people too who like these two gems.

Durak
06-07-2004, 12:30 AM
The Diskworld books are wonderful. Definatly my favorite series. As for the games, I've played the first Diskworld one, another one that has the same feel to it (probably 2), one where you're a detective/werewolf, and uh...some other things.

Aristharus
06-07-2004, 12:42 AM
That is Discworld Noir. In it you play a Film Noir style Private Investigator who gets turned into a werewolf somewhere along the game's plot.

I_Wanna_Be_A_Pirate
19-07-2004, 03:26 AM
where in england is it for sale?? its not for sale in aus, an im going to london, oxford and Stratford next year.. so i might be able to get it if i have $15 dollars spare ( and if i can get there I WILL HAVE THE MONEY SPARE!!!)

FreeFreddy
19-07-2004, 06:58 AM
In England the currency is not in $ (Dollars), but in ? (Pounds) or € (Euro), not sure if they already accepted € as their currency.

Havell
19-07-2004, 12:57 PM
The curreny is ? and I found Discworld Noir for ?5 at my local GAME (which is a big chain of computer shops here in England) released by one of those budget publishers, there should be a GAME in one of the places where Pirate is going if you go to one of the shopping arcades or high streets.

JoA
25-08-2004, 05:57 AM
Discworld Noir is a great game, I bought it in Australia the year before last I think but from an online games shop, not in a retail store. I've played the first Discworld game also and have to say it's among the hardest adventure games ever - had to use a walkthrough a lot!. Discworld Noir by comparison is relatively easy and a heck of a lot of fun, just loved the characters - pity they didn't make more of these games.

Stroggy
25-08-2004, 09:42 AM
In England the currency is not in $ (Dollars), but in ? (Pounds) or € (Euro), not sure if they already accepted € as their currency.

Take it from someone who spent 6 hours at the London City airport terminal with only a 100 euros this monday: They DO NOT accept euro's.
Nearest I ever got to an airplanecrash, everybody was in the airplane, it was going to take off. begins going at very very fast speed. Suddenlyb egins to brake with a very screetching noise, lights go off, things fall. turns back, tries again, doesn't succeed in taking off the second time either.
So I had to wait for the next flight which was 6 hours later with only 100 euros. bah.

anyway, you can find a lot of old games in england.
I even saw broken sword 1 and 2 at the Virgin megastore on Piccadilly Circus.

Unknown Hero
25-08-2004, 10:44 AM
Discworld II: "ooooooooiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaiii iiiiiiiii knew a farmer and i knew him well....."

Putt the subtitles on and start playing the game, you'll love it. :lol:

Havell
25-08-2004, 10:46 AM
I checked on the underdogs, all discworld games are there for download.

Discworld: http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?gameid=315

Discworld 2: http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?gameid=316

Discworld Noir: http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?gameid=1505

FreeFreddy
25-08-2004, 11:08 AM
Wow, Discworld Noir is 260 MB! :shock:
That would take an entire day to download that with their connection-speed...

TheVoid
25-08-2004, 11:15 AM
Yep, I downloaded the game "Shannara" (181 megs) and it took 10-11 hours I recall...

Havell
25-08-2004, 11:18 AM
I have to leave the computer on overnight when I download things from there, and my firewall doesn't like their protection system so I have to turn it off, which is risky.

Stroggy
25-08-2004, 11:43 AM
I already own discworld noir
but as I said before
due to a conflict with XP I can't play it

Unknown Hero
25-08-2004, 11:55 AM
I have to leave the computer on overnight when I download things from there, and my firewall doesn't like their protection system so I have to turn it off, which is risky.

That's mine problem, too.

raymondobasildon
28-02-2014, 04:50 PM
I still have Outcast and may sometime devote a little time to try to get it running. Thought I was the only one that had ever played it. Whenever I mention it to friends they start talking about Jedi Outcasts.

The original music was performed by The Moscow Symphony Orchestra or some such, and as has been said in this thread, the story line was great.