PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek: Judgment Rites

mistermcbrit
13-06-2007, 04:49 PM
Hey, so, I've been browsing this forum without registering for a while and I think this is the only resource for the problem I have.

I am fortunate enough to have a copy of Judgment Rites that has the enhanced sound and voice-overs by the actors, but unfortunate enough not to know how to configure it all that correctly.

So, I installed it via windows, without DOSBox or anything and the installation was successful. I then went to the game directory and right-clicked on the game executable to enable compatibility mode for Windows 95 and EMS and all that jazz, I thought I was right-on, smooth sailing!

Well, when I booted the game, the voice-overs and sound effects worked, but no midi music or beeps when switching choices at a dialog box or the suspense chords when the saucer section of the Alexander is hurtling toward the Enterprise viewscreen. To top it all off, the game would pause intermittently for periods of twenty-thirty seconds and clip off some of the voice-over(s).

I then tried DOSBox at first without D-Fend v2 and then w/D-Fend v2, granted the same results. It appeared to load fine, but then it would say "Could not find . . ." and source it back to my D: (DVD-RW) drive. Now, I have a CD-RW drive on the bottom, I don't know if putting the disc in a different drive helps, haven't tried that.

Is there a way I can copy all of my data to my hard drive so DOSBox can find what it needs? So many people have reported playing this game and enjoying it to it's full potential. I have the voice-overs, I really don't want to do without.

Is there anyway anyone out there can lend me a hand?

Oh, here is a screen shot:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/Phaser/errorhelp.jpg

Mighty Midget
13-06-2007, 05:15 PM
I will suggest you install the game from within DOSBox, totally ignoring your Win installation.

Have you set up DOSBox correctly to utilize your DVD drive?

13-06-2007, 06:34 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mighty Midget @ Jun 13 2007, 06:15 PM) 294242</div>
I will suggest you install the game from within DOSBox, totally ignoring your Win installation.

Have you set up DOSBox correctly to utilize your DVD drive?
[/b]

No, I'm totally unfamiliar with that process.

Mighty Midget
13-06-2007, 06:37 PM
Then I strongly suggest you read the "Beginner's guide to DOSBox" here on AB's forum.

http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14913

mistermcbrit
13-06-2007, 07:05 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mighty Midget @ Jun 13 2007, 02:37 PM) 294249</div>
Then I strongly suggest you read the "Beginner's guide to DOSBox" here on AB's forum.

http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14913
[/b]

Thanks for the guide link, unfortunately, none of that information was new to me.

I already am well-aware enough to navigate through DOSBox, I just have a configuration problem that I need resolved.

mistermcbrit
13-06-2007, 08:53 PM
I really think it's a matter of me getting this information off the CD, onto the hard drive and having DOSBox read it, install it, configure it and run it.

Right now, I'm running with the full voice overs, but no sound/music.

There has to be a solution.

The Fifth Horseman
14-06-2007, 10:02 AM
1. Stop using D-Fend. It's known to cause problems. If you really need a frontend, I'd advise DBGL as both more compatibile and configurable.
2. You need to MOUNT your CD or DVD drive to use it, almost the same like you do with a hard drive. http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.p...s%2FMount#CDROM (http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?page=Internal+Programs%2FMount#CDROM)
3. Install the game through DOSBox.

mistermcbrit
14-06-2007, 02:40 PM
Okay! No longer using anything other than DOSBox.

Now, I've already tried installing ST:JR through DOSBox and I can't really find a means of surpassing it. I've read through mostly everything I could find, but, I don't see a presented solution. When running the install for this game, it gives you this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/Phaser/errorhelp2.jpg

Normally, on the side bar where it says "Z:" (virtual DOSBox drive) and "D:", I have the option of C: and F:, my two hard-drives. Now, I don't have either choice, and no way to install.

Has anyone had as much difficulty with this game as I have?

It's just so weird that it runs under the Windows XP element, but, just slowly and choppily (pauses, et. all) but with no music or sound, just voices.

STRANGE!

Well, any more advice or solutions will be greatly appreciated.

The Fifth Horseman
14-06-2007, 03:00 PM
You mounted your CD-Rom drive without mounting a hard drive.
You might want to automate your drive mounting by using the [Autoexec] portion of Dosbox.conf --> see here on how to do that (http://www.abandonia.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14913&view=findpost&p=293920).

mistermcbrit
14-06-2007, 03:34 PM
Yes, yes, YES! :brain:

Everything works as it should, all sound, music, voices, EVERYTHING!

HOWEVER! Annimation and sound are kind of choppy.

Any remedies?

The Fifth Horseman
14-06-2007, 03:37 PM
Change core to Dynamic (dosbox.conf again)
Increase the starting cycles (I'd advise circa 10000 to 12000) and the cycle increase/decrease to 1000 cycles (once more, dosbox.conf)

mistermcbrit
14-06-2007, 06:37 PM
Before I focus on the sound and choppiness, I want to question something else that is a bit more pertinent.

So, I've installed the game via DOSBox and then exit the installer, it then immediatley takes me to:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/Phaser/errorhelp3.jpg

I can type "trek2" and it will run.

Now, when I exit the game and DOSBox and then reopen the program later, I have my iso mounted on the virtual "D:" and I have my "C:\intrplay\trek2" mounted for my hard drive. It is set to Z:\ of course, my default, I type "C:" and hit enter and the Interplay logo comes up, then nothing else, as if it wasn't even installed or configured.

The only way I can get it to run is if I go through the installation process all over again. Granted, it only takes about twenty-seconds, but, it is still damned annoying.

Your assistance is much appreciated.

Mighty Midget
14-06-2007, 06:43 PM
What confuses me is this: "It is set to Z:\ of course, my default"

What, exactly, are your every drive mounting/configuration, and from what drive do you try to run the game?

I'm confused because from what I read, you have your hard disk drive set for both Z and C:

mistermcbrit
14-06-2007, 06:44 PM
Perhaps that was worded incorrectly.

I said, that, the ubiquitous "Z:\" appears and I then change it to "C:\" my actual mounted hard drive.

Oh, and since it was installed, I tried to run it from C:\

Mighty Midget
14-06-2007, 06:47 PM
Could you post your DOSBox configuration file, especially the autoexec part?

mistermcbrit
14-06-2007, 06:57 PM
Sure!

It's available as an attachment.

Please make an edits you feel necessary.

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
imgmount D c:\images\startrek.iso -t iso
mount C C:\Intrplay\trek2\

Mighty Midget
14-06-2007, 07:04 PM
From what I see, your fake hdd is the same folder as the one you installed the game to.

Try to have two folders, one for your fake hdd and one inside that folder for your game installation

mistermcbrit
14-06-2007, 07:06 PM
I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean.

Mighty Midget
14-06-2007, 07:09 PM
Thing is, in your autoexec you mount the folder C:\Intrplay\trek2\ on your real hdd as the fake hdd used by DOSBox, then you install the game in that very same folder or a folder with the same name.

Ok, open up the C:\Intrplay\trek2 outside DOSBox, and see if there's a Intrplay\trek2 stack of folders there.

mistermcbrit
14-06-2007, 07:16 PM
Yeah. Inside C:\Intrplay\trek2 there is another Intrplay folder with the same contents.

Mighty Midget
14-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Just a hunch. Rename your mounted folder, but NOT the game installation folder

mistermcbrit
14-06-2007, 07:20 PM
So, something like:

mount c c:\interplay\trek2

I always wanted to correct the spelling anyway.

Mighty Midget
14-06-2007, 07:21 PM
give that a go

mistermcbrit
14-06-2007, 07:26 PM
No go.

I'm rather stuck.

Mighty Midget
14-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Try this: When installing the game, choose no sound whatsoever, then exit DOSBox. See if this will allow the game to run the next time you run DOSBox.

mistermcbrit
15-06-2007, 06:14 AM
Weird, weird, weird.

It still only runs when I run the install program and go through all the hoops.

The Fifth Horseman
15-06-2007, 09:02 AM
Create a "Dosgames" directory on your real C drive. EG C:\Dosgames.
Then move the directory with the game there (so that the game is located under C:\Dosgames\Intrplay\Trek2).

Then change the DosBox' [autoexec] to the following:
imgmount D c:\images\startrek.iso -t iso
mount C C:\Dosgames
C:
This will do the mounting right and automatically change to the mounted C drive as well.

*sigh*
It really would all have been easier if instead of being so assured you already know all you need you actually have read the Beginner's Guide, you know...

mistermcbrit
15-06-2007, 02:49 PM
I did read your guide. I thought it was good. Especially the third moon of Jupiter joke.

Maybe I just have some retention difficulty.

But, the joke was funny. :whistling:

mistermcbrit
15-06-2007, 04:43 PM
Fresh install, running sound as a pound from DOSBox, but it says when I try to save the game: "Disk may be read-only or out of space."

And it doesn't save.

What is up with that?

:(

Mighty Midget
15-06-2007, 04:47 PM
ok, look at the files' properties, and uncheck any "read only" boxes. I believe you can do that for all files in a folder if you look at the folder's properties.

mistermcbrit
15-06-2007, 05:06 PM
I feel like I am in such a panic to play this game that I keep forgetting to use common sense when asking questions.

Yeah, but, it's already unchecked from read-only and and still not saving. Most peculiar.

mistermcbrit
15-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Oh, fascinating. Windows isn't allowing me to "uncheck" the read-only option. It process the request as I hit apply and modifies the files inside the directory, but not host-directory itself.

Sebatianos
15-06-2007, 05:33 PM
OK, I just dug up my old copy of the game (it's not an ISO image but an original disk - published by white label, so there might be some differences).

All I had to do was simple:

When in DOSBox I went to D: and ran the HDINSTAL
Then I went to the path the installation program made C:\vie\rites and started the RITES.EXE

Works like a charm.

mistermcbrit
15-06-2007, 05:53 PM
I just decided to do a fresh install. Good decision.

I wiped the directory and reinstalled. Everything works well now.

I appreciate all your help and sorry to be too much of a newbie pest.

I hope to contribute to this site in every way I can.

Mighty Midget
15-06-2007, 05:57 PM
:D You're welcome, and by all means welcome to contribute too.

Happy gaming :ok:

Sebatianos
15-06-2007, 06:00 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mister McBrit @ Jun 15 2007, 07:53 PM) 294576</div>
I appreciate all your help and sorry to be too much of a newbie pest.
[/b]
Don't worry, you were learning to use something, made a mistake and asked for assistance. That's what the forum support is for.

15-06-2007, 08:36 PM
This is turning out to be intently irritating.

The saved-game feature worked after I freshly installed the game. I closed the game and DOSBox because I had to go on an errand and I returned to my computer afterwards, loaded the game and my saved games weren't found.

I decided to test the saved game feature again and it reverted to that message alluding to "Insufficient space or read-only drive" and the game failed to save.

I don't have the damndest idea what it is now.

Mighty Midget
15-06-2007, 09:00 PM
Goddamn! Read this ENTIRE topic, and you will

mistermcbrit
16-06-2007, 02:34 AM
The above was my post, by the way.

My saving issue is still really unresolved. I've tried a variety of different things. Could it still be a mounting issue?

Blargh! :sos:

_r.u.s.s.
16-06-2007, 08:28 AM
[a message to mighty midget] i told you so! LOL [/a message to mighty midget]
look, just redownload use 'mount c c:\' as your hard drive every time you mount it, and i m sure you wont have any problems with patches

The Fifth Horseman
18-06-2007, 03:11 PM
Could it still be a mounting issue?[/b]
Yes. The game could have problems with amount of free HD space reported. Open your Dosbox.conf and make the following addition to the MOUNT command that sets your C:\ mount:
-freesize 700
This should get around this little problem.

19-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Before I even did that, Horseman, I had changed my directory to C:\Intrplay and then typed "trek2" and I could load all my saved games from before and save.

Weird.

But, thanks for the help.