PDA

View Full Version : Halo 2

Iowa
05-06-2007, 06:16 AM
<div align="center">Halo 2
Bungie
for the Xbox console</div>

Note: If you do not want to take the time to read this entire review scroll down to the bottom of the post and view the SUMMARY to get right to the point.

Well, where to start?

I was one of the ones who immediately became transfixed in this game within the moment of my first playing it. It had nice graphics (for the time), powerful weapons, and absolute massacre-iffic multiplayer carnage. What was not to like?

Every day, my buddies and I would gather together and have a system-link showdown, flaying each other alive for well over periods of four hours at a time...it was great...

Until, I opened my eyes.

Really, it started to dawn on me that maybe the multiplayer was a bit unbalanced, no problem, I could still win...if'n my opponent didn't cherry pick me with a Sword ('scuse the Halo lingo, i'll cover that in a bit).

Now, on to the analysis...

--

Graphics

Perhaps the best part of the game, these graphics shimmer, with breathtaking reflections and open airspace aplenty. It is also worth noting weapon details such as the ammunition counter on the Battle Rifle that displays the amount of rounds remaining in the clip. When going through the game for the first time, the casual gamer should easily settle right into H2's graphical package. :ok:

However, this section is not without its letdowns. Many reocurring glitches (Super Jump anyone?) contribute general frustration to the game, with such nice things as getting stuck in walls and the aforementioned Super Jumps. Also, perhaps one of the largest issues with the game is the general repetition of it's indoor Campaign levels. :wallbash:

You will literally feel as though you're slugging through the same city over and over again. The texture "Steel" is way too overused for environments, and the extremely limited amount of outdoor encounters don't exactly make up for the drab urban landscapes. My final irritation with Halo 2's visual package is that they have ommitted the coveted "smack the carcasses and watch blood splatter everywhere" convention found in Halo: Combat Evolved; half a point off just for this :bleh: .

But to be fair, I was impressed with the artwork used to construct the various skies found throughout Halo 2.
<div align="center">
8.5/10</div>

Sound

Seemingly another forte, explosions echo throughout your stereo system and the constant hammering of bullets rattles your teeth. The voice acting used in the game is decent, though the character dialogue and sloppy plot isn't the most pleasant thing to greet your eardrums. I especially like the resounding "smack" when corpses are meeleed, it's a satisfying experience!

<div align="center">7.9/10 </div>

Control

No surprise here, the Xbox controller is more than suited for the job, with customizable sensitivity levels and even styles for the poor left-handed players of the world, this scheme simply delivers. Even though I personally do not like the game, :ph34r: I must admit that it is one of the best contolling console games i've ever played. Half a point off, though, for the akward placement of the "crouch" function (you must click in the left analog stick).

<div align="center">9.4/10</div>

Gameplay

*Takes deep breath* Alright, here comes the part that absolutely ruins the entire experience.

The gameplay in Halo 2 is most liken to that of Goldeneye: Rogue Agent...in fact, it's exactly the same. I'm not sure which game was inspired by which, but for such a novel concept as Halo 2, this mode of play just doesn't work.

The primary actions in the game are as follows: shoot, wait for shields to recharge, shoot, reload, wait for shields to recharge. Rinse. Repeat. Over and over and over again. This wouldn't be so much of an issue if, like I mentioned before in the Graphics heading, the environments just weren't so damned boring.

Also, Bungie changed the shield system so that both your health and your shields recharge. So what does this mean for the gamer? Frusturation, because this concept applies to your enemies as well. For example, if I am attempting to bring down a Hunter (a very powerful in-game enemy), I can't attack and retreat because his health will recharge just as mine will. I have to kill him all at once, or not at all...

This is the exact same for the multiplayer, and is ultimately what makes it unplayable past the first 2 weeks of receiving the game. I could go on and on about other extremely cheap multiplayer conventions, such as the intant-kill sword, shotgun, and the gargantuanly overpowered sniper rifle. But I will simply sum it up as this: Weapons = Unbalanced.

<div align="center">4.5/10</div>

Summary

All in all, this game delivers greatly in the sound, graphics, and contol department, but sorely lacks in the most important department of all: gameplay. To me, this is a travesty because I am a firm believer in gamplay first, graphics last. But with all the hype (Too much hype. WAY too much hype. :angry: :wallbash: ) such as this game receiving Game of the Year countless times and occaisionally being named the greatest game ever made, I am forced to look down upon it and see more of it's flaws than it's positives.

This really isn't a horrible game...it's just incredibly average, overrated, overplayed, and in general writes far too many checks that it just can't cash. If it weren't for these things, i'd probably give it a bit of a higher rating.

<div align="center">Overall Score: 6.99/10</div>

Agree? Disagree? Think you can make a better review?

Post it below, I really want to hear what the guys at Abandonia think about one of the most mainstream games of all time.

~Iowa

gregor
05-06-2007, 06:49 AM
are you sure you are not talking about Halo 1 :D

oh dear, so they included boring "copy paste" underground section again....

well i dont' own an x-box, but i wasn't impressed playing halo 1 on PC. first few leveles are awesome, but later it get's boring and repetitive. i guess it was a break for games consol owners, because there weren't many such 3d Games available there before Halo.

But on PC it's just another 3d shooter - with a story (OMG, OMG!!). i liked Half life much more simply because of rich environment. Not to mention some other 3D shooters before that, such as the legendary Duke nukem 3D, Doom or a couple of RPG's (such as Ultima Underworld 1 &2). Then there were Return to castle Wolfenstein, Medal of honour...

I would choose Morrowind over Halo anytime :P

gufu1992
05-06-2007, 10:39 PM
I agree though... i never found flood to be fun to kill... but thats what you do most of the game...

Burger Meister
07-06-2007, 12:27 PM
I agree with the reviewer. It is very unbalanced and there was far to little cheat protection in the game when it first started. Then they patched it until they changed too many things making it not fun anymore. I remember I got to level 14 in team slayer (that was good). Now you can get to about level 30 playing by using your behind hairs to control your guy. That's how easy it is now.

Iowa
08-06-2007, 12:35 AM
I'm becoming increasingly amazed that I haven't received any fanboyish rants about how I don't like Halo 2 because I don't have any "sk177z"...

That's happened far more than once :tai:

gufu1992
13-06-2007, 02:59 AM
Hooray for abandonia?

Iowa
13-06-2007, 06:39 AM
Hooray for Abandonia. :max:

Tiberius
16-06-2007, 01:51 PM
It all comes down to whether you want the game to be "realistic" or "balanced". I prefer realistic myself, so maybe that's why I enjoy Halo 2 multiplayer so much. Why not go back to basics and ask yourself what a sniper rifle does, or a shotgun at close range. Can't really do that with the fictional energy sword made of whatever Bungie decided ^_^ . Just think about that and ask your self would you really be having more fun if they were unbelievably weak? Or if they were removed from the game? A huge part of the multiplayer is getting your hands on one of these strong weapons. As for the little tricks in the game, they're there for the hardcore gamers... really imo to give them a little edge on the more casual gamers. I said little instead of unfair, because its available to anyone that puts the effort into perfecting it.

Anyway, I hope I have provided a good counter point without sounding like a fanboy or whatever. Opinions on my post would be appreciated too.

Iowa
16-06-2007, 07:31 PM
It all comes down to whether you want the game to be "realistic" or "balanced". I prefer realistic myself, so maybe that's why I enjoy Halo 2 multiplayer so much[/b]

I don't know whether anyone's told you, but there isn't a single multiplayer on the planet that's realistic. If it were truly realistic, the frag grenade would be the most powerful weapon because shrapnel would either kill your opponent or cripple them beyond moving.

Just think about that and ask your self would you really be having more fun if they were unbelievably weak?[/b]

Maybe this is just an issue with me, but yes, I like weapons that are incredibly weak. That's one of the reasons why I think Perfect Dark's multi is far superior to any other is that it's possible to win even with the weakest weapon against a rocket launcher. My friend and I have had hours of fun plugging away at each other with the peashooter-like Falcon II pistols.

Plus this takes out the whole Energy Sword thing of *impale* *impale* *impale* *impale* *impale* *impale* "KILLTACULAR!" "Yeah, I am the most skilled with the Energy Sword!"

...No, you just possess the basic ability to press the R trigger when the crosshair is red.

As for the little tricks in the game, they're there for the hardcore gamers... really imo to give them a little edge on the more casual gamers.
[/b]

I have a word for this, it's called being an "unfairbastard". I'd be alot happier, too, if Bungie actually had half-decent Quality Assurance and checked the game for glitches and SuperJumps and such.

I said little instead of unfair, because its available to anyone that puts the effort into perfecting it.[/b]

You're right :max: .

Anyway, I hope I have provided a good counter point without sounding like a fanboy or whatever. Opinions on my post would be appreciated too.[/b]

And i'm very thankful that you did that, it sets you apart from all the Halo 2-loving racist twelve year olds you find on Xbox Live. There you have my opinions on your post, and I hope I didn't sound like a total jerk...I wouldn't know, I wasn't there when I typed them.

Blood-Pigggy
16-06-2007, 11:53 PM
Halo 2 itself is a fine game, but the online community, like very other single X-Box Live game, is a cess pool of idiotic morons who not only don't know how to play a game correctly, but posses the brains of slugs.

They seriously need to make X-Box Live payable by a bank card or credit/debit card only or whatever, as too many kids can just buy the damn cards from the store and play online. Little morons, I'd like to shovel my fist into their faces for every time I've heard the damn N-word online.

Tiberius
17-06-2007, 08:52 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Iowa @ Jun 16 2007, 01:31 PM) 294736</div>
I don't know whether anyone's told you, but there isn't a single multiplayer on the planet that's realistic. If it were truly realistic, the frag grenade would be the most powerful weapon because shrapnel would either kill your opponent or cripple them beyond moving.
[/b]

What about the Call of Duty series?

Off-topic: Where are you from in Iowa?

gufu1992
17-06-2007, 05:47 PM
oh come on... I like CoD 3 multi...

Iowa
18-06-2007, 03:30 AM
Off-topic: Where are you from in Iowa?[/b]

Nowhere, I don't live there. And if you really want to know why I chose my username, check my profile, the picture should give you a hint. :whistling:

What about the Call of Duty series? [/b]

Nope, not realistic, although it tries to be and makes a decent effort at doing so, in the end it fails like every other "realistic" game. I prefer games that don't try to be realistic, because I think they tend to be more fun.

Halo 2 itself is a fine game, but the online community, like very other single X-Box Live game, is a cess pool of idiotic morons who not only don't know how to play a game correctly, but posses the brains of slugs.

They seriously need to make X-Box Live payable by a bank card or credit/debit card only or whatever, as too many kids can just buy the damn cards from the store and play online. Little morons, I'd like to shovel my fist into their faces for every time I've heard the damn N-word online.[/b]

Meh, although I disagree about Halo 2 being a "fine game", you're right about Xbox Live. Although I doubt putting it on a charge-card only system would work either, seeing as the little bastards could just ask their mom or dad to register them and be back up spreading white supremacy through high-pitched squeals. But think about it Piggy, if you got your wish, you'd have broken every bone in your fist from shoveling it into so many twelve-year-olds' faces.

Yeah, the online community in pretty much every game (*cough* Counterstrike *cough*) sucks. It's just a proven fact that if you give people anonymity, they'll become total jerks.

Tiberius
18-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Ah, your a Slipknot fan.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Iowa @ Jun 17 2007, 09:30 PM) 294914</div>
Nope, not realistic, although it tries to be and makes a decent effort at doing so, in the end it fails like every other "realistic" game. I prefer games that don't try to be realistic, because I think they tend to be more fun.
[/b]

What do you think of Timesplitters: Future Perfect? I love that game... honestly I have had more fun with it than I have had with Halo 2(I've just played Halo 2 a lot more).

gregor
18-06-2007, 12:24 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Iowa @ Jun 16 2007, 06:31 PM) 294736</div>
It all comes down to whether you want the game to be "realistic" or "balanced". I prefer realistic myself, so maybe that's why I enjoy Halo 2 multiplayer so much[/b]

[/b]

hmm not to mention the way games register hits. and the way the bullets travel.

or the fact that there are no crates left after using mortar or grenade or some rocket or something. wall is always solid sufrace. bullets also never bounce off the walls (ricochet, is it?!).

so yeah no realism. i mean - plenty missing for a game to be called realistic. it actually probably can't be. otherwise it wouldn't be fun. spawning asside one or two bullets should put you down. and if you wear an armor doesn't mean that if they hit you and you somehow survived the armor is warn off as a result. :-D

Iowa
18-06-2007, 11:32 PM
What do you think of Timesplitters: Future Perfect?[/b]
Can't say i've played it, actually, although I have played TS2 and I was put off by it's immensely flawed control scheme. :tai: Leaving out adjustable analog sensitivity does not work. Has Future Perfect corrected this?

bullets also never bounce off the walls (ricochet, is it?!).[/b]
Yes, that's what it's called when something solid bounces off a wall. :ok:

About the whole "realism" thing, I could almost say that I prefer games that try to be as unrealistic as possible. Games like Unreal Tournament, Shadow Warrior, Duke Nukem 3D, and Mortal Kombat are some of my favorites and all reflect this. After all, I play games to get away from reality, not closer to it.

Titan
22-06-2007, 11:05 PM
Sounds like you need to buy Ghost Recon or something.

Halo = Realism? It was never ment to be. Chess is an unrealistic game also, but noone complains.
The game is what it'äs rules define.
Imagen if someone suddenly picked up the ball in a football match and threw it into the goal after running around with it a few minutes, just because he felt like it would be more realistic to use the humans most effective tools, the hands?

You can say what you want about the story, but the rules are the definition and perimiter of the game, and the game should be defined inside of that, not what's techicly possible to do with a computer.

droma
06-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Excellent, finally I find those who share my distaste for Halo. Having played console/pc games for oh so many years I have found few games with such a high popularity like Halo that I truly and utterly despise. When I find myself speaking to Halo fanatics about the shortcomings of the game I feel like im talking to a 6 year old. They respond with phrases such as "whatever", "maybe you just suck", or "yeah you probably like those dumb adventure games where you type in your actions and theres nothing to shoot at." Okay I might be lying about that last one. They seem unable, or unwilling to look past the 'flashy' graphics and explosions. When I ask them about the single player missions, the story, theyre beside themselves with glee when they relate to me the "awesome story" and "sweet levels." Yesss, the cookie cutter levels... full of shiny cubicles or linear outdoor areas. How about the gameplay? Well, it sure is swell they say. All sorts of cool weapons (pretty standard fare if you ask me) and neat vehicles. Well, what about the lack of variety in enemies? The aforementioned repetitive gunplay of shooting, recharging, shooting again? Mediocre voice acting? No real attachment to the characters? Sigh. All I can ever tell them is that if theyre looking for multiplayer action, get a computer and play a shooter the way it was meant to be played, with a keyboard and a mouse. Pick up a copy of Counterstrike Source and see "my lack of 1337 pwnage skillz." If you want a good story in a shooter, pick up a copy of Half-Life, or Deus Ex. Oh, and if you want another game with similar attributes of your beloved Halo/2 well, I suppose you could try Doom 1 or 2. Story depth and gameplay is about the same...
(if you cant tell I prefer shooters on pcs, but still enjoy the occasional timesplitters or even redfaction.)

Iowa
06-07-2007, 07:47 PM
Thank you, sir, for elaborating on the situations that led me to create this review. Halo fanatics can be some of the most juvenile and frustrating people on the planet.

But then again, the same goes for die-hard CSS players.

droma
06-07-2007, 08:02 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Iowa @ Jul 6 2007, 01:47 PM) 298211</div>
Thank you, sir, for elaborating on the situations that led me to create this review. Halo fanatics can be some of the most juvenile and frustrating people on the planet.

But then again, the same goes for die-hard CSS players.
[/b]

Well ill be the first to say im not exactly a die hard css player. I just see it as the best multiplayer fps on the market atm. Im always open to a new gaming experience, but CSS will always be at the top for me.

Iowa
06-07-2007, 08:55 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean and I didn't say that directed at you. I've played a bit of CSS in my time and while I found it very fun (addictive, challenging, and C4...how can you not find that fun?), I've seen [and heard] some very unpleasant people.

So my point is, if you give people a microphone in online games, they will screw up the experience for other people by insulting their mothers forty times in one minute.

droma
06-07-2007, 09:18 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Iowa @ Jul 6 2007, 02:55 PM) 298223</div>
So my point is, if you give people a microphone in online games, they will screw up the experience for other people by insulting their mothers forty times in one minute.
[/b]

This sir, is fact. :ok:

Burger Meister
07-07-2007, 11:32 PM
That's why you have to play with battlefield 2 or GRAW with microphones because you end up playing with more mature people because those games are harder. I love it!

droma
08-07-2007, 03:03 AM
BF2 and GRAW are okay, voice isnt an issue if you play on a good server in css though.

Iowa
08-07-2007, 03:40 AM
I haven't played Battlefield 2 yet, but I got to play GRAW once and I actually found it really fun! Does online play match up to the single-player experience?

gregor
11-07-2007, 09:19 AM
i only played halo 1 (2 was not made for PC). but i founf it annoying the console type of game play in Halo 1. what i mean is you cant' progress untill you kill all enemies. and this is done by either some team stops you and wants you to "defend them" or some doors are locked until you kill them all and this robot comes out to open them...

what i like to do sometimes is just run past the enemies. especially i liked doing this in Doom 1&2 where they would start shooting between themselves as a result.

online games mostly suck. partially because of cheaters and some peopel who think is funny to stand on the doors blocking everyone else. and also i miss the mute person button in some games.most of all they are no fun unless you are in some clan doing clan wars or if you have some option of coop gameplay. in shooters people are way too disorganised. no one is leader. and most are snipers because for some reason sniper rifle bullets are much stronger.

Iowa
11-07-2007, 09:32 PM
online games mostly suck. partially because of cheaters and some peopel who think is funny to stand on the doors blocking everyone else. and also i miss the mute person button in some games.most of all they are no fun unless you are in some clan doing clan wars or if you have some option of coop gameplay. in shooters people are way too disorganised. no one is leader. and most are snipers because for some reason sniper rifle bullets are much stronger.[/b]

Couldn't have said it better myself! :titan:

droma
12-07-2007, 07:12 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gregor @ Jul 11 2007, 03:19 AM) 298878</div>

online games mostly suck. partially because of cheaters and some peopel who think is funny to stand on the doors blocking everyone else. and also i miss the mute person button in some games.most of all they are no fun unless you are in some clan doing clan wars or if you have some option of coop gameplay. in shooters people are way too disorganised. no one is leader. and most are snipers because for some reason sniper rifle bullets are much stronger.
[/b]

This is true but can usually be circumvented by finding a good server with professional players who boot/kick/ban tards who do this. Also many servers (in css) restrict the use of sniper rifles, or ban them outright. Still, all in all your statement is depressingly accurate.

Geckotide
06-08-2007, 09:19 AM
Ughh - thank you! I honestly can't see what's so great about this game. It's alright to play just for kicks but I'd much rather play something like Medal Of Honour or Gears Of War, at least they have some story.

Iowa
06-08-2007, 07:46 PM
Hey, that's another point I didn't get around to: Halo 2 has the plot-line of an incomprehensible ten-minute-long Japanese anime. Not to mention it really doesn't seem to go anywhere and after you beat the game you're left with a cliffhanger...

12turtle12
07-08-2007, 07:45 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(droma @ Jul 12 2007, 06:12 AM) 299049</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gregor @ Jul 11 2007, 03:19 AM) 298878

no one is leader. and most are snipers because for some reason sniper rifle bullets are much stronger.
[/b]

Also many servers (in css) restrict the use of sniper rifles, or ban them outright. Still, all in all your statement is depressingly accurate.
[/b][/quote]

I personally like Rainbow Six : Vegas specifically for that reason. The sniper rifle actually seems quite outclassed by assault rifles - and it's absolutely useless at close range.

skaven510
08-08-2007, 04:36 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gregor @ Jul 11 2007, 08:19 AM) 298878</div>

[/b]

I loved Counter Strike for about 1 week until I realized that I was just cannon fodder for the snipers. I'm used to RPG and TB strategy games but I do like to play FP shooters from time to time and when I played the tutoriel for Counter strike I thought wow this is cool, but I don't have the patience to sit at a game for months and months to hone my twitch skills down. Oh don't forget the jumping around and shooting. That's key in real war. You jump and shoot so the other guy won't be able to hit you. Anyways I'll pass on online FPS. Give me Bioshock instead.

The Fifth Horseman
08-08-2007, 05:14 PM
I loved Counter Strike for about 1 week until I realized that I was just cannon fodder for the snipers. [/b]The guys I used to play CS with never figured that out. Most of them didn't figure sniper rifles out in the first place, though... for them it was "just like quake, except about terrorists", to quote one. LOL

_r.u.s.s.
08-08-2007, 05:20 PM
quake, thought, has something which cs doesnt- strafe jumps :kosta:

Iowa
08-08-2007, 08:09 PM
Anyways I'll pass on online FPS. Give me Bioshock instead.[/b]
Hoorah! Another Bioshock fan!

I've never played Quake multiplayer even though I have the original disk and everything sitting right by my PC. Is there some way to view active servers in it, or do you have to know the IP of the PC you want to connect to?

airsoftsnake
14-08-2007, 03:38 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cazgotsaved @ Aug 7 2007, 02:45 PM) 303440</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(droma @ Jul 12 2007, 06:12 AM) 299049
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gregor @ Jul 11 2007, 03:19 AM) 298878

no one is leader. and most are snipers because for some reason sniper rifle bullets are much stronger.
[/b]

Also many servers (in css) restrict the use of sniper rifles, or ban them outright. Still, all in all your statement is depressingly accurate.
[/b][/quote]

I personally like Rainbow Six : Vegas specifically for that reason. The sniper rifle actually seems quite outclassed by assault rifles - and it's absolutely useless at close range.
[/b][/quote]

I second that! I love R6:Vegas! I love that you die pretty fast too if you do stupid stuff.

I hate games where you can just do frontal attacks and win.

But I never really liked Halo 1 or 2. IMHO, not very interesting games.

12turtle12
14-08-2007, 07:17 AM
"Oh don't forget the jumping around and shooting. That's key in real war. You jump and shoot so the other guy won't be able to hit you. Anyways I'll pass on online FPS."

* a little necro going on so I figure I'll post again as well *

Didn't you know Skaven? When you go out to the shooting range try jumping around a lot. You'll find that your aim actually improves. Yeah, I do it all the time...
I only played CS once or twice but a friend of mine would play it all the time when I would go over to his house. I could never understand what the appeal was...?Maybe a fan could tell me. Truth be known, there are VERY few games I actually like that are exclusively online. Even WoW IMHO is not all that great. If a game doesn't game a good one player story mode, then....blegh. I don't like it. Even Halo 2, while having a tinny story at BEST at least delivered something. CS was about what exactly? Shooting the other team?
wow, hold me back I've got to buy it.... :unsure:

Iowa
14-08-2007, 09:27 PM
Hey man, I'm going to buy CSS really soon! :D

Really, I dunno why I want it, it's just really fun the few times I've played it and after seeing Youtube videos for such things as Zombie and Surf matches it really made me realize that Counter-Strike is fully customizable.

And in defense of an average-level game, CSS isn't supposed to have a storyline...it's a multiplayer mod of Half-Life.

Blood-Pigggy
16-08-2007, 10:30 PM
If you know what's good for you, you won't, there are tons of games on Steam that cost the same or are cheaper that have tons more playability and fun.