PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Getting Started

peka777
31-05-2007, 09:32 PM
I am new to DOSBox and know very little about computers. I tried following the guide on Abandonia and apparently can't follow anything but the simplest instructions!

First of all, I got DOSBox installed. But the problem is with the games. I downloaded Betrayal at Krondor. The guide says to use Win-something to extract files. I go on My Computer, C Drive, DOS, FILES. When I get here, I have three icons:
1. A folder labeled Betrayal at Krondor
2. A folder with a zipper that's labeled the same as 1
3. An icon that looks like a collection of an open box, cd, and a computer labeled DOSBox0.70-win32-installer.

Selecting #1 brings up 20 symbols

(Labeled: GAMES, DRIVE.CFG- cfg file, GENMIDI-device driver, INSTALL - help file, INSTALL - text document, KRONDOR.CFG - cfg file, KRONDOR - rmf file, README - text document, SNDBLAST - device driver, STD - device driver, TEMP.GAM - gam file, ADL - device driver, FRP.SX - sx file, INSTALL, INSTALL - screen saver, KRONDOR , KRONDOR.001 - 001 file, MT32 - device driver, RESOURCE.CFG - cfg file, STARTUP.GAM - gam file, SX.OVL - ovl file, VMCODE.OVL - ovl file)

Selecting #2 brings up 22 symbols.

(Labeled: GAMES, ADL, DRIVE.CFG, FRP.SX, GENMIDI, INSTALL, INSTALL, INSTALL, KRONDOR, KRONDOR, KRONDOR, KRONDOR, MT32, README, RESOURCE, STARTUP.GAM, STD, SX.OVL, TEMP.GAM, VMCODE.OVL)

In the left had margin under folder tasks is "Extract all files"

Selecting #3 brings up run or cancel. If I select run, it displays the license agreement, agreeing brings me to beginning the installation (but I have already installed it and it is on my start menu--I did all the things described in Abandonia's guide)

I have no idea what to do and I don't understand the difference between the symbols that are displayed. The challenge is to write simple enough instructions that even I can follow! This would be no easy task, I can assure you, but thanks for any help anyone can give me because I really want to try out this game.

Mighty Midget
31-05-2007, 09:48 PM
About Q 3, that would be the DOSbox installer, and since you already have installed DOSbox, you don't need to think about that.

Q 2: That is the zip archive that is, the package the game came as. You need to extract the files from thaat package to a folder of your choise. For that you'll need a "packing/unpacking" program such as WinZip. When/if you have this installed, right click on the game archive and select "unpack to..." or whatever it says. Point is you want to decide where to unpack it.

Q 1: You already have a folder named BaK? Did you create it yourself or did you already unpack the archive?

IMPORTANT: In DOS and DOSbox no file/folder name can be longer than 8 characters, so a folder named "Betrayal At Krondor" would have to be renamed, for instance "BaK".

peka777
31-05-2007, 10:14 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mighty Midget @ May 31 2007, 05:48 PM) 292413</div>
About Q 3, that would be the DOSbox installer, and since you already have installed DOSbox, you don't need to think about that.

Q 2: That is the zip archive that is, the package the game came as. You need to extract the files from thaat package to a folder of your choise. For that you'll need a "packing/unpacking" program such as WinZip. When/if you have this installed, right click on the game archive and select "unpack to..." or whatever it says. Point is you want to decide where to unpack it.

Q 1: You already have a folder named BaK? Did you create it yourself or did you already unpack the archive?

IMPORTANT: In DOS and DOSbox no file/folder name can be longer than 8 characters, so a folder named "Betrayal At Krondor" would have to be renamed, for instance "BaK".
[/b]

I extracted the files by selecting "extract all files." I don't know what program is being used to extract files (I'm running Windows XP).

Mighty Midget
31-05-2007, 10:28 PM
Ok, if I remember correctly, the game will then unpack in the same folder as the archive is in. This may or may not be your DOSBox games folder. It seems however, that you have the archive in the games folder so on we go:

I assume you have set up DOSBox according to the FAQ so that you have a c:\games folder when you run DOSBox (more see below)

Rename the unpacked folder (the one with a plain folder icon) to something with 8 characters or less

From within DOSBox, use these commands to navigate to the games folder:

cd (means change directory/folder)
cd.. means change directory one level up
cd [folder name] means change directory down (to the specified folder)

dir displays contents of directory
dir/p displays directory contents one monitor screen at a time

Locate your c:\games\[game's name] folder and type dir.exe, dir.bat or dir.com. This will list all exe, bat or com files in the games folder

Now, try it out. Do you see any of these file types?

peka777
31-05-2007, 10:45 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mighty Midget @ May 31 2007, 06:28 PM) 292419</div>
Ok, if I remember correctly, the game will then unpack in the same folder as the archive is in. This may or may not be your DOSBox games folder. It seems however, that you have the archive in the games folder so on we go:

I assume you have set up DOSBox according to the FAQ so that you have a c:\games folder when you run DOSBox (more see below)

Rename the unpacked folder (the one with a plain folder icon) to something with 8 characters or less

From within DOSBox, use these commands to navigate to the games folder:

cd (means change directory/folder)
cd.. means change directory one level up
cd [folder name] means change directory down (to the specified folder)

dir displays contents of directory
dir/p displays directory contents one monitor screen at a time

Locate your c:\games\[game's name] folder and type dir.exe, dir.bat or dir.com. This will list all exe, bat or com files in the games folder

Now, try it out. Do you see any of these file types?
[/b]

I changed the name of the file to BaK.
Opened DOSBox, typed dir, it came up with 0 file(s), 2 dir(s)
At this point I am lost

Mighty Midget
31-05-2007, 10:47 PM
Ok, I guess you saw the prompt C:\>

That means you are "at the top" as far as directories go. What was the names of those 2 directories you found when typing dir?

peka777
31-05-2007, 10:53 PM
It has no names in the window when I type dir. it just reads 2 dir(s) 110,540,800 Bytes free.

Am I supposed to be looking in the other window (status window)? It reads, MIDI:Opened device:win32.

Mighty Midget
31-05-2007, 10:54 PM
Hmmmm did you set up DOSBox exactly the way it's explained in the FAQ?

peka777
31-05-2007, 11:06 PM
I think the only exception I made was in the naming of the file for DOSBox. But it's in my start menu. When I select it, two windows appear.

One has the heading DOSBox 0.70, Cpu Cycles: 3000 , Frameskip 0, Program: DOSBox. Inside the window is: C:\>

The second window has the heading DOSBox Status Window. Inside is CONFIG: Loading primary settings from config file C:\Program Files\ DOSBox 0.70\dosbox.config
MIDI:Opened device:win32

Also, if you look at my original post, I added information (the names of the symbols when I click on the files).

Mighty Midget
01-06-2007, 04:51 AM
The one with the C:\> is the one you want. Just let the other run open in the background.

Now, in XP, open up the folder you chose back when you configured DOSBox mounting the fake C drive (just open DOSBox conf and have a look if you don't remember)
What folders/files are in that folder?

bobson
01-06-2007, 05:03 AM
have you mount the folder with BaK?
Try to type it right after DOSBox starts:
mount C C:\DOS\FILES

After this type DIR

If there is now on screen 3 Dir .... bla bla bla
type CD BAK

and finally type KRONDOR

The Fifth Horseman
01-06-2007, 11:30 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Peka @ Jun 1 2007, 12:14 AM) 292418</div>
I extracted the files by selecting "extract all files." I don't know what program is being used to extract files (I'm running Windows XP).
[/b]
Windows XP has a built-in unpacker. However, that unpacker is:
1. weak in terms of options
2. compatibile with only one type of ZIP comression

What I suggest you do is get WinRAR, install it and use for unpacking from now on.

peka777
01-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Is there a way to place screen shots on this forum? Maybe that would help explain the problem.

I started DOSBox and typed "mount C C:\DOS\FILES"

The screen reads "Drive c already mounted with local directory c:\DOS\CDRIVE\"

Next I typed "dir"

The screen reads: "Directory of c:\.
. <dir> 31-05-2007 16:27
.. <dir> 31-05-2007 15:57
o file(s) 0 bytes.

2 dir(s) 110,540,800 Bytes free.
c:\>

The Fifth Horseman
01-06-2007, 12:51 PM
The screen reads "Drive c already mounted with local directory c:\DOS\CDRIVE\"[/b]
Because by blindly following the tutorial, you have configured DosBox to automatically mount that on startup. Open Dosbox.conf, find where it says
mount C C:\DOS\CDRIVE
and change that line to say
mount C C:\DOS\FILES
Then start DosBox.

peka777
01-06-2007, 01:12 PM
I typed "mount C C:\DOS\FILES" and now I have two files when I type dir after the prompt, Thanks!!

What do I do next?

The Fifth Horseman
01-06-2007, 01:28 PM
What does DIR return?

Mighty Midget
01-06-2007, 01:31 PM
Files or folders? What are their names? If there is one folder (you'll see by the extension "dir") named BaK, type "cd bak", then type dir.exe, dir.bat or dir.com. Look for any file named "setup", "install" or "Krondor" or something like that. The Setup is usually for setting up sound, for some games that is done in "install". When you have found these exe, bat and/or com files just type the name of that file you want to run.

peka777
01-06-2007, 01:42 PM
BETRAY~1 <DIR> 31-05-2007 16:54
BAK ZIP 8,883,498 31-05-2007 16:54
DOSBOX~1 EXE 1,482,255 31-05-2007 16:07
2 File(s) 10,365,753 Bytes.
3 Dir(s) 110,540,800 Bytes free.

Mighty Midget
01-06-2007, 01:45 PM
Ok, that BETRAY~1 dir is the one. The reason for the ~1 is that the name is more than 8 characters long. Rename that directory (=folder) in XP to something shorter, then use the command cd [name of directory].

peka777
01-06-2007, 01:45 PM
when I type cd bak it comes up "unable to change to: bak."

Mighty Midget
01-06-2007, 01:47 PM
That's because there is no directory there, yet, named bak. Read the above post if you haven't already.

It seems you renamed the archive, but that is not the directory of the game, just the package the game came in. You won't need to pay attention to that at all when in DOS or DOSBox, since the program used to handle those packages is a Windows application.

The Fifth Horseman
01-06-2007, 01:50 PM
That's all because you ignored what Midget told you at the very beginning:
Originally posted by Mighty Midget

peka777
01-06-2007, 01:52 PM
I renamed it betrayal, typed in cd betrayal

got: c:\BETRAYAL>

then typed in dir.exe, and all the other things listed, file*.____ not found.

Mighty Midget
01-06-2007, 01:54 PM
Try a space between dir and .exe and the others. If no results just type dir/p and tell us what files you got.

peka777
01-06-2007, 02:00 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Jun 1 2007, 09:50 AM) 292538</div>
That's all because you ignored what Midget told you at the very beginning:
Originally posted by Mighty Midget
[/b]

Look, I'm not "ignoring" anything. I simply don't understand a lot abouit computers and the instructions I'm given often assume I understand things like "mount" or "dir" etc.

I renamed one of the three files, Betrayal at Krondor, BAK as he said earlier, I simply overlooked the other file.

I appreciate your help. But I am not trying to fail at this. If I make a mistake, it's because I fail to understand what I'm told.

Mighty Midget
01-06-2007, 02:04 PM
We know you're not trying to fail, as you say :) and everything needs to be learned. Just try to read slower and don't go on reading until you think you got the first step down, then go on to the next step. It may take some halfs of hours, but the next time you'll be able to do it without our help.

peka777
01-06-2007, 02:05 PM
When I typed dir/p it reads 0 files & 2 dirs.

I unzipped the game using the XP extraction program. Someone said I should use Winrare something like that. I once used Winrare, but I got a notification that I needed to pay for it so I uninstalled it. Do you think this is the problem (unzipped using XP)?

Mighty Midget
01-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Locate that very same Betrayal folder in XP and open it. See if there are any files in it. According to your first post it should have a lot of files, IF it is the same folder.

There are other unpackaging programs, one is 7-zip which is freeware. It handles both zip and rar package formats (rar unpacking only).

peka777
01-06-2007, 02:17 PM
I was in the middle of replying and had to stop and change the batteries in my cordless keyboard!

Okay, I went to the file and when I click on it I get the same 22 symbols.

(Labeled: GAMES, ADL, DRIVE.CFG, FRP.SX, GENMIDI, INSTALL, INSTALL, INSTALL, KRONDOR, KRONDOR, KRONDOR, KRONDOR, MT32, README, RESOURCE, STARTUP.GAM, STD, SX.OVL, TEMP.GAM, VMCODE.OVL)

I'm sure you know they have different symbols in front of them (and I have never learned what they mean).

The Fifth Horseman
01-06-2007, 02:22 PM
The folder you were supposed to rename in the first place was the unpacked one (ie the one without the zipper).

I once used Winrare, but I got a notification that I needed to pay for it so I uninstalled it. [/b]
Winrar remains fully functional even if unregistered. So install it back again - it's quite useful when you have to unpack things (like games).

Now back to the problem... close dosbox and restart it.
cd betrayal
then
dir *.com
dir *.exe
dir *.bat
And run the filenames these three return.

If none are returned,
dir *.*
to see if the directory doesn't happen to be empty.

Mighty Midget
01-06-2007, 02:25 PM
The symbols just show what types of files they are. If you have "show file extention" enabled in folder options, you will learn quickly what the different symbols mean. For instance, the icons that look like blue windows usually mean they are executable files (extension EXE), that is a file you can run, in other words: A program.
The icon looking like a blue window with a cog wheel can be a batch file (extension BAT). A batch file is an executable file with a set of instruction, often used to automaticly run a set of exe files in a particular order.

However, in DOS (DOSBox you won't see these icons and all you have to think about is to look at the extensions when you type dir.

peka777
01-06-2007, 02:41 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Jun 1 2007, 10:22 AM) 292557</div>
The folder you were supposed to rename in the first place was the unpacked one (ie the one without the zipper).

I once used Winrare, but I got a notification that I needed to pay for it so I uninstalled it. [/b]
Winrar remains fully functional even if unregistered. So install it back again - it's quite useful when you have to unpack things (like games).

Now back to the problem... close dosbox and restart it.
cd betrayal
then
dir *.com
dir *.exe
dir *.bat
And run the filenames these three return.

If none are returned,
dir *.*
to see if the directory doesn't happen to be empty.
[/b]

When I typed dir *.exe I got 2 files:

install exe
krondor exe

Mighty Midget
01-06-2007, 02:43 PM
exellent. ok, type install and see if there are any setup for sound in that program. If not, exit. Then type krondor. That should start the game.

Oh, and I forgot about the * in *.exe. Sorry. The * is a wildcard, substituting any character, so by typing dir *.exe the computer looks for any exe file regardless of its filename. *.* makes the computer look for any file with any filename and any extension.

The Fifth Horseman
01-06-2007, 02:46 PM
To supplement Midget's post above.
If there are any options for sound setup, set them as follows:
Sound Blaster 16
IRQ 7
DMA 1
Adress 220 h

peka777
01-06-2007, 03:02 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mighty Midget @ Jun 1 2007, 10:43 AM) 292564</div>
exellent. ok, type install and see if there are any setup for sound in that program. If not, exit. Then type krondor. That should start the game.

Oh, and I forgot about the * in *.exe. Sorry. The * is a wildcard, substituting any character, so by typing dir *.exe the computer looks for any exe file regardless of its filename. *.* makes the computer look for any file with any filename and any extension.
[/b]

When I typed install, I got installation choices.

It has music: Roland MT32, MT-100, LAPC-I, CM-32L. or CM-64.

My computer has a multimedia sound card on the motherboard (ASRock AM2NF6G-VSTA AM2, etc.)

There are also other choices:

Make bootable floppy disk
Accept these choices and save configuration
Cancel installation and return to DOS

I'm finally getting somewhere!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Jun 1 2007, 10:46 AM) 292566</div>
To supplement Midget's post above.
If there are any options for sound setup, set them as follows:
Sound Blaster 16
IRQ 7
DMA 1
Adress 220 h
[/b]

I didn't see Sound Blaster 16

I highlighted the music choices, pressed enter, and it gave a list of 5 choices that had checks beside them indicating that these choices were supported by my system. Of these choices, one reads Sound Blaster Card and the other is Sound Blaster / AdLib card (or compatibles).

Do I select Sound Blaster Card?

The Fifth Horseman
01-06-2007, 03:06 PM
My computer has a multimedia sound card on the motherboard (ASRock AM2NF6G-VSTA AM2, etc.)[/b]
The type of soundcard installed in your machine is irrelevant: DOSBox emulates the neccesary sound hardware.

And yes, your guess is quite correct - choose Sound Blaster Card.

Mighty Midget
01-06-2007, 03:09 PM
EDITED coz 5th beat me to it

peka777
01-06-2007, 03:14 PM
:kosta: I typed in KRONDOR and the game loaded, has sound too!!! Thanks to Mighty Midget and the 5th Horseman. You guys have a lot of patience, and I appreciate your help! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions later, Thanks again! :ok: