PDA

View Full Version : Games Have Generally Stopped Working.

TheChosen
12-04-2007, 09:41 AM
Yup. Some games have just *stopped* working.

Some examples are Moonstone, Shadow President and True Love. They all worked on my old 90 mhz Windows 98 computer, but now, theyre just throwing me back to windows.

JJXB
12-04-2007, 01:26 PM
if their windows games have you tried compatibility mode? plus which windows are you running? i have heard vista can cause some major compatability problems and XP's compatability is kind of flawed as well.

Icewolf
12-04-2007, 01:52 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheChosen @ Apr 12 2007, 11:41 AM) 286723</div>They all worked on my old 90 mhz Windows 98 computer, but now, theyre just throwing me back to windows.[/b]
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JJXB @ Apr 12 2007, 03:26 PM) 286752</div>if their windows games have you tried compatibility mode? plus which windows are you running? i have heard vista can cause some major compatability problems and XP's compatability is kind of flawed as well.[/b]
Did you actually read what Chosen wrote JJXB?
It's an Win98 PC the games have worked before and now they do not anymore. For some reason... :huh:

The Fifth Horseman
12-04-2007, 02:10 PM
Let's see...
Same machine, right?
Did you make any hardware changes before the problems started?
Did you make any software ones (anything from installing a new program or updating your drivers to reinstallation of the entire OS)?

_r.u.s.s.
12-04-2007, 03:21 PM
try running the games through commandline and write us what does it say after a game quits to windws

TheChosen
13-04-2007, 05:11 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(the_fifth_horseman @ Apr 12 2007, 02:10 PM) 286760</div>
Let's see...
Same machine, right?
Did you make any hardware changes before the problems started?
Did you make any software ones (anything from installing a new program or updating your drivers to reinstallation of the entire OS)?
[/b]

I did changed the CD-Rom drive a couple of times (because of speed), but I dont think that did had any major impact. However, I still cant play any music cd's trought cd-rom drive.

One time, I accidently deleted both run32.dll and oleaut32.dll, but I later got new one's from the internet. Otherwise no, I havent installed any new programs.

The Fifth Horseman
13-04-2007, 09:02 AM
One time, I accidently deleted both run32.dll and oleaut32.dll, but I later got new one's from the internet. Otherwise no, I havent installed any new programs.[/b]
Did the problematic games work right after you changed those files?

I did changed the CD-Rom drive a couple of times (because of speed), but I dont think that did had any major impact. However, I still cant play any music cd's trought cd-rom drive.[/b]
It shouldn't have such impact, indeed. As for music CD's, have you connected the CD-audio cable to the drive and the soundcard?

_r.u.s.s.
13-04-2007, 11:33 AM
..soo what does the commandline say?

TheChosen
16-04-2007, 08:05 AM
Okay, now its getting weirder: The games are working again. I dont know what I did, but theyre working again. Strange. :unsure:

The Fifth Horseman
16-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Check your RAM wth Memtest86.
Check the SMART data of your hard drive.

Chances are one of them might be beginning to malfunction. A read error or an error caused by a faulty RAM chip may have resulted in temporary incorrect operation of your system.