PDA

View Full Version : Joystick Problems In Wc Privateer

Japo
22-02-2007, 12:19 AM
I got this problem that when I try to play Privateer with joystick the calibration won't work. I start the game, the first thing it does is asking me to calibrate the joystick, but when I'm done it says, "joystick calibration is not correct. Please recalibrate." No matter how many times I try. I did my homework before asking, I spent a long time looking through here and the Net and found that other people (http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=6910&highlight=joystick) had the same problem, and even that it's not DOSBox related (http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=15854) but something about the game itself, at least with some joysticks.

So my question is not about the nature of the problem. What I want to know is whether anyone has experienced this same problem with this game, but has sorted it out, and how. :sos:

PS I'm not interested in JoyToKey since it doesn't give analog control and I'd rather play with the mouse or keyboard.

Data
22-02-2007, 01:46 PM
if you run inside dosbox disable the joystick emulation ? Perharps it will then skip the calibration screen.
Alternatively I can give you my configured joystick file (is a very small file that neeeds to be present in the privateer directory). that way the game will continue as well

Japo
22-02-2007, 01:58 PM
There's no problem in playing without joystick, there's no need to edit dosbox.conf since I don't have the joystick plugged usually anyway. Actually I've tried starting the game without it and then pugging it after startup and changing game imput to joystick, but no wonder the ships goes crazy. I also tried changing the joystick key in dosbox.conf to every possible kind of joystick but it didn't help since it's a problem about the game not DOSBox.

Okay send me your Privateer joystick configuration file if you can, thank you very much. Even if we have different joysticks maybe a defined range will be enough. Since I understand you can't attach files to PMs I'm PMing you my email.

Data
22-02-2007, 02:08 PM
This is mine. I've never played with the joystick though.So not a clue on how it is calibrated. Perharps the numbers in there make some sense as the file is only 34 bytes.
[attachmentid=3927]

Japo
22-02-2007, 05:10 PM
I copied it to the Privateer directory and the game still asked me to calibrate the second joystick (what do you need two joysticks for in Privateer?), but a "copy joya.dat joyb.dat" sorted that out. Now the game works with joystick but it's grossly decalibrated and obviously I can't calibrate it through normal means. In case it makes sense to someone here's the file in a hex editor:

000000000:**35 00 06 00 93 00 93 00 FB 00 0E 01 20 00 20 00 5...“.“.û... . .
000000010:**02 00 02 00 02 00 03 00 B2 00 B7 00 77 00 69 00 ........².·.w.i.
000000020:**29 01****************************************** ).